Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Spotter (brief review) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Starship Spotter (brief review)
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add to the above, one thing NG has never shied away from is insisting on the highest possible technical quality for its photography. This does not mean, however, that the magazine would refuse to print a fuzzy black-and-white (or even a torn and wrinkled brown-and-smudge) if this was the only visual record available of an event of importance.

Translated to subject-relevancy: A scene from Wolf 359 could with full justification be reproduced by giving us a fuzzy screencap from a videotape, and then slapping graphics over it that would specify this as a "gun camera shot", or something taken by a recording drone amidst the battle's heavy EM interference and subspace shockwaves and whatnot.

Similarly, a key live-action event could be presented as a snapshot taken by an away team's tricorder-wielding Ensign Expendable, just when he was hit by that disruptor beam. Or then he had to take it covertly through some vegetation, from a distance. Surely the reduced quality of the image could be forgiven.

Here's a possibility that should not be overlooked when making use of all that accumulated wealth of Trek visual records.

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:::nods in agreement::: That's absolutely right, Timo. In fact, a lot of times these items come from the strangest sources. Imagine if you will a shot of a scorched, somewhat shredded, & ice-crystalized section of photo of Ben & Jennifer Sisko at Gilgo Beach; the caption in true NG style reads: "'Some times the hardest part of doing this,' says salvage worker Thon Lorit, 'is finding the small things. It affects everyone in ways you just can't describe.' A full Betazoid, Thon says that he sometimes is overwhelmed by the raw emotions of the rest of the work crew when they find a fragment of a person's life floating among the wreckage. Here, at left, a happy moment captured forever shows the scars of horror."

(Note, of course, that the article would be from late 2367 or mid-2368, before Ben Sisko became a well-known name as commander of DS9.)

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Akula
Member # 319

- posted      Profile for Akula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that would be cool,
Since your doing the Wolf359 scenes from scratch you could add in designs for the Apollo and Rigel,or perhaps there could be a massive map of the battle on one page, with ships that perticipated with a side view of each as a bottom border.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone looked at my "unseen article" threads in the Creativitiy forum? I happen to have some "Unseen Frontier" stuff in them.

--------------------
Meh

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Translated to subject-relevancy: A scene from Wolf 359 could with full justification be reproduced by giving us a fuzzy screencap from a videotape, and then slapping graphics over it that would specify this as a "gun camera shot", or something taken by a recording drone amidst the battle's heavy EM interference and subspace shockwaves and whatnot.

Even simpler: those shot were recovered from what's left of the Fleet at Wolf 359, which were mostly irradiated wrecks.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik:

You hit the nail on the head! The obvious passion with which you wrote that essay is exactly what is fueling this book. The pictures will tell the story, the text will fill in the details.

You had some great ideas in there and have given me some food for thought.

Someone really needs to start an 'Unseen Frontier' thread, and the first post should be Shik's - his note describes the book better than I did!

And yes, I agree that the images in the book need to look like they had been taken by some manner of physical means. As a matter of fact, that's EXACTLY what I did in the much-maligned 2002 calendar - every image's source is revealed in the captions.

Mojo

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally saw the book at Barnes and Noble, but I didn't buy it. I didn't think it was worth it (sorry, Mojo). Some of the ship info was nice, and the pictures were good, but a lot of it was not what I had hoped for.

--------------------
Meh

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I also finally saw it at the local specialty book shop, and while I didn't buy it, I will. No, it's not every tech-head's dream, but it satisfies a lot of what I was after. It's on my Chirstmas list, or alternatively when the regular bookstores start showing them off at not-inflated prices.

And DAMN, that aeroshuttle kicks ass!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still haven't seen it, but even though it's for the 'casual' Trekkie I'd still get it even if for pretty starship pictures.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling that the Aeroshuttle wireframe was modified from the Danube wireframe.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't that the point?
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quiet, it's been a long day.

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to agree with this, and I am GLAD that it is akin to the Danube Class Runabout! The underside pattern is VERY VERY similar to the underside of a runabout - with the addition of wings! and maybe a LI'L more pointy at the front... no?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps