Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New shippy-ship confirmed in next week's Enterprise (minor $) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New shippy-ship confirmed in next week's Enterprise (minor $)
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having seen dozens of TNG and DS9 scripts, I know they use proper spelling throughout because there is a pronounciation guide at the very beginning. Longer things, like the Klingon dialogue, are written out phonetically.

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WILD THEORY!!!!! RING SHIPS!!!!!

Could the Ring Enterprise from the Rec Deck scene in TMP be a VULCAN DESIGN!?! Named in honour of the NX Enterprise!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

devin.clancy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or an attempt to replicate that classified technology, either pre-NX-01 or with the cooperation of the Vulcans after the UFP is founded.

Maybe after that it's learned that the two-nacelle design is actually better in some way.

(much to the Vulcan's chagrin)

-Devin

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: Actually, my theory has been that it's the other way 'round. I figured that the ring-ship was Cochrane's second warp-ship, built using the annular warp engine (this was when the only ship we had seen w/ that design was the one in "Unification") due to assistance from the Vulcans. 'Course, now we know the Vulcans didn't help the humans. But, then, maybe they did for a short while at first. Or maybe Cochrane saw Vulcan ships and figured out how to do it on his own.

As for why it was called Enterprise, I theorized that Cochrane and Sloane called it that, but wouldn't tell anyone why they picked the name. Only people who saw FC would ever know... :-)

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any have any ideas on how that ring is attatched to the main body of the vulcan ship?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

With metal.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With polygons and textures.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bottom of the ship attaches to the ring.

Of course, I hope that ring is strong material. One nice whack at the lower end and you'll lose the entire ring!

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the lack of the ENT Enterprise in the rec deck, maybe the rec deck designer felt he needed one of each type of vehicle (aircraft, space shuttle, weird spaceship, starship), the final of which should be the current starship.

Explaining the TNG lounge is more difficult: maybe they needed to show the current starship and Kirk's starship, but didn't want to offend the other crews, so they argued, hey, we'll leave Archer out and say we ran out of space.

Everything else can be explained by arguing that the Federation had not been founded yet, so we can't count Archer in.

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardng The Motion Picture, I for one am happy to mentally edit the scenes and replace the ring-ship with Archer's Enterprise. I've gotten very lax with the whole "canon" issue in recent months...

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Boris
Member # 713

Y'know, maybe Archer turned to the Dark Side eventually, started the Romulan War or something, and everyone chose to forget he existed. That's good enough for my personal canon.

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe a display that obviously didn't include every ship named Enterprise...didn't include every ship named Enterprise?
Boris
Member # 713

That would work for one display, but three!?!? (TMP, Ent-D obs lounge, Ent-E ready room) Isn't the first Earth starship with a Warp 5 engine, the first starship to do any serious exploring, worth a mention in at least one of the layouts? Is the aircraft carrier more important?

It also seems awfully unfair never to mention it in dialogue just because Federation hadn't been founded in its time. Everything else about its mission is identical to that of the other Enterprises. It's hard to believe it isn't important enough, so either it never existed in those timelines, or Archer and crew did some pretty bad stuff afterwards.

Though I'm sure Archer's Enterprise will suddenly appear in the next TNG movie as a background model or something.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the ship's name was Ticonderoga (or something else) in the TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY-timeline, but then the Enterprise-E traveled back in time and met Cochrane, who later suggested to name the ship Enterprise.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ent-E is probably the easiest to explain away, being exclusively Federation starships named USS Enterprise with registry numbers NCC-1701.

Were it not for the aircraft carrier on the Ent-D, that too would be pretty simple to justify. It's probably the bigggest sticking point in some people's minds.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.