Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ships in the ST:TMP film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ships in the ST:TMP film
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two brief questions for those who have seen this film on DVD. Both questions are related to ships in the movie.

1.) I read at TrekBBS that the I.K.C. Amar is not mentioned in this new cut. Is this true?

2.) In 1991, Paramount Pictures excised the U.S.S. Entente NCC-2120 from the movie in the VHS widescreen version. Has this ship been reinserted into the latest incarnation of the film?

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reference to I.K.C. Amar is gone, and the Revere is nowhere to be heard (and nowhere in the Deleted Scenes section).
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? IIRC, the line was in a computer translation of the dialogue from the Amar. What's being said instead?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The entire computer translation scene was cut.

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the scene with the IKC Amar, there are two computer screens. The one screen shows the Klingon, the other screen shows the translation of his transmission. This translation screen has been replaced by a picture of the V'Ger cloud.

And, as I mentioned in the other thread, USS Entente NCC-2120 is still in the radio chatter.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Boris
Member # 713

No -- if you check the Deleted Scenes section, you'll see that the first half of the scene, the part containing the translation, was cut. The second part of the scene (that originally had a black screen next to the Klingon) now has a V'Ger cloud there.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured I'd post this here, but I can now CONFIRM the existance of more ships on the comm chatter sequence. At the very beginning of the sequence, on the right-center channel, the name "Dreadnaught Entente N C C Two One Two Oh" in a male voice. On the same speaker, right when we first see the guy in the space suit, we hear "Long-Range Shuttle Lakia". After a short pause, we then here a NEW ship no one has yet to hear. The name is unfortunatly covered, but I believe we can easily find it. But the registry number is clearly heard: NCC-1715. Now, since all the other ships names and registry numbers are from the Starfleet Technical Manual, then this ship is the USS Merrimac NCC-1715, Constitution Class. Unfortunatly the class is not named, so technically it isn't canon. Now that I relisten to it, it does indeed sound like they are saying USS Merrimac.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Merrimac was of the Bonhomme Richard-class, IIRC.

So wait...The dialogue for the Revere and Columbia is gone, but the Entente is still there, and now we have a new added shuttle and the Merrimac?

Might I ask, just what was the point? Sounds like just screwing with canon for no particular reason...

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
So wait...The dialogue for the Revere and Columbia is gone, but the Entente is still there, and now we have a new added shuttle and the Merrimac?

No, no. The Revere and Columbia are still there. What gave you the idea that they weren't?

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

There was no Bonhomme Richard class in the Starfleet Technical Manual, which is where the producers got the names and registries of all these ships. The Bonhomme Richard stuff came from Fandom later on.

All the ships listed in the Tech Manual were either Federation (Dreadnaught), Hermes (Scout), Constitution (Cruiser), Saladin (Destroyer), or Ptolemy (Transport/Tug) Classes.

And yes, Revere and Columbia are there, totally unchanged. They are heard the clearest, and on the old VHS copies of the movie, we could not hear the different layers of comm chatter going on since it was all mashed together. Now, with the Dolby Digital Surround Sound, we can hear each individual channel on seperate speakers, meaking it able for us to hear the Merrimac and Lakia.

Just for reference, these are the classes that each of the ships mentioned were supposed to belong to, according to the Starfleet Tech Manual:

USS Entente NCC-2120, Federation Class
USS Revere NCC-595, Hermes Class
USS Columbia NCC-621, Hermes Class
USS Merrimac NCC-1715, Constitution Class

Now, as for the Lakia, aren't there some shuttles mentioned in the Starfleet Tech Manual?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we sure it's "Lakia" & not "Laika?"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

I dunno, it sounded like Lakia to me. Why?

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because "Lakia" would be weird (in & of its genesis), whereas "Laika" would be recognizable as the first mammal in space.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Boris
Member # 713

A shuttle named after a dog?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Anyone have a copy of the Starfleet Technical Manual? I know there was some information on shuttles, they most likely got the name from there.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps