Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Okuda Map Image (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Okuda Map Image
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really. The hamster/duck/airplane thing was an in-joke, not intended seriously. This was supposed to be real.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it wasn't supposed to be accurate.

And my point was that the dialogue suggested that Vulcan and Andor are "neighbors" relative to everything else, especially Earth. In other words, if they were farther from each other than they are from Earth, it would be pretty dumb to describe them that way. It would be like talking to your next-door neighbor, and describing the person on the other side of them as "my neighbor". They're more of a neighbor to your neighbor than to you.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could ignore a doghouse or an abandoned shack between your house and that of your "neighbor", though.

Earth may simply not count for much in Vulcan opinion. Thus, it doesn't disqualify, say, Epsilon Indi from being the neighbor of 40 Eridani, even if it sits more or less between them in the real world.

Anyhow, now that we know the Trek Rigel is not the real Beta Orionis, that map becomes significantly more acceptable. We now only have to hope that the constellations Cygnus and Lyra in Trek are also proven to be different from the real ones, and the contradictions on that map will disappear for good.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You could ignore a doghouse or an abandoned shack between your house and that of your 'neighbor', though."

But not if you're describing the situation to the person who lives in that shack or doghouse.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh? arent the breen from the beta quadrent?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are in the Beta Quadrant. It's an oblique view of the Alpha, Beta, and Delta Quadrants. Only the Gamma Quadrant is out of view.

DS9, Bajor, Cardassia, Ferenginar, etc. are all in the Beta Quadrant.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you have that backward. DS9, Bajor, and Cardassia are in the Alpha Quadrant with Earth right on the border between Alpha and Beta.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Really?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. That's why such a big deal is made about the "Alpha Quadrant" in DS9's war episodes.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

WHOOPS!!!

Can't believe I said that. I knew that.

No really, I did! I just got it flipped inmy head for some reason.

So then...

I went back through my Encyclopedia, and found no reference to the Breen being from the BQ. Are you sure?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't think there's any reference in DS9 to anyone being from the Beta Quadrant, not even the Klingons and Romulans.

TPTB didn't want to confuse viewers any more than they already were. If you ask someone who's seen DS9, but never picked up a technical manual, everyone appears to be in the Alpha Quadrant.

The only real references to the Klingons and Romulans being in the Beta Quadrant are in ST VI, and possibly Message in a Bottle.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

So, does anyone else have any problems with this map, other than the Andor/Vulcan thing? i think it's fair to say it's pretty accurate.

I like that Gornar is included.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My problems:

3 dimensionality lacking. The Galaxy is thikc enough for a lot of planets (& empires!) to be on top of each other.

the span.. on both sides of the so called Federation space are planets visited by the Enterprrise-no suffix. Are we to believe no exploring was done between TOS and TNG? and that the 1701 could span the whole of the current Federation (which is 8000 LY span and take 6 months for slower ships to get around)?

Klingon-Romulan-Cardassian issue. I have thought of several solutions to this, but it is addressed quite poorly in this map. They need to have common borders in order for the Dominion war to make sense.

People seem to only accept the Federation as a spheroid or cubic shape (basically 2D with imaginary depth). What if it is a torus, or helix or other inherently 3D shape. In this way, the Federation could span 8000 LY end to end, but still be shot through with nonaligned space. A phalanx of the Klingon empire could extend right through it to Cardassian space, which wraps around the top or bottom until it hits Romulan space. It would also explain how far-flung enemies could concievably get so close to coreworlds like Betazed & Earth.. The Federation has more than six sides if it is a more complex shape.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only the Klingons need to be close to Cardassian space. The Romulans don't appear to be near Cardassia in any way. They don't need to be to have interests in the area. The U.S. doesn't border Afghanistan, for instance.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The are common boarders between the Klingons and the Cardassians... the Klingons and Romulans, the Romulans and The Federation, the Federation and the Kligons, the Federation and the Cardassians and The Romulans and the Cardassians... it's one hell of a mess - but this map is too simplistic - that is why I gave up trying to do maps... you have to think more three dimensionally... to accurately portray the klingon/cardassian/federation and romulan boarders, they all have to overlap... which doesn't necessairly mean on the same plane. Nor are these governments withing tight spheres of influence... getting out from core worlds - it might still be federation space, but it would have a LOT of empty space between starsystems that would allow anyone who wants to travel... to travel... the only time I think that there might be any sort of coherent boarder is when there are enough starsystems up down, left right and backwards and forwards that the empty space between them can be included into Federation space. The further out you go... the more swiss-cheesed the whole thing is. That is why you can't have nice neat boarders... this allow there to be all these neigbouring governments.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps