Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ENT "Unexpected" Klingon Ship: D-7? (Minor Spoliers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ENT "Unexpected" Klingon Ship: D-7? (Minor Spoliers)
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CaptainMike: Do tell. I'd like to see the tears and snot.

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Masao ]

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'a a tiny thing, and I'm not really that bothered by it (Jeff's girlfriend said to him today. Sorry. ), but some of the spoiler titles are getting a little bit out of hang. I don't find anything wrong with this one, but let's not give out any more detail, okay? "ENT OH MY GOD HE'S GAY (spoilers)" for instance is a bit too far.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahahah. I'm told you Liverpoolians like them small, Liam

Of course, when talking about a big arc for a character, a spoiler warning might be called for. "Picard gets turned into a Borg and has psychological problems!" would've been spoiler neccessary, don't you think?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The model from T+T is NOT different from the TOS model! Why does everyone say that it is? There is EXTREMELY SLIGHT detailing on the hull that is not quite the perfectly smooth and low-detailed TOS model, but the model was built by Jein to represent the TOS ship. It's not any different, really.

Here's the battlecruisers we've seen in chronological Trek time:

1.) 2150 ship from "Unexpected" (ENT) with rear impulse engines, (and torp tube??) no class verbally identified.

2.) The TOS ship with no rear impulse engines, established by Okuda to be D-7 class and verbally mentioned onscreen as D-7 in "Trials + Tribble-ations" (DS9).

3.) TAS cruiser with no rear impulse engines, identical to D-7 exept for protrusions on forward pod and neck. Identified verbally as D-5 class in "Once More Unto the Breach" (DS9).

4.) TMP/TUC/TNG/DS9 cruiser with different forward pod, rear impulse engines and torp tube, and voluminous greeblies and such on hull. Established to be K't'inga class originally in Gene Roddenberry's novelisation, later by Okuda in Encyclopedia and by Sternbach in DS9 Technical Manual, though not as yet spoken onscreen.

5.) Cruiser from "Prophecy" (VGR) explicitly caled D-7 in dialogue, with K't'inga-like features such as rear impulse engines and torp tube.

So, we're in a bit of a muddle. I'd be inclined to say it's the same deal as w/the Miranda, and that the D-7 just has some variants, at least one of which resembles the K't'inga.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

These are the symbols that were on the TOS battlecruiser model.
When translated using Drexler's Officer's Manual, they spell..
D-7-4
Hmmm..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
You forget the Daedalus. Or, to be strictly canonical, the USS Horizon. Although, to be fair, colored photos in the Encyclopedia suggest that the aft ends of those nacelles do, in fact, glow blue.

I didn't forget the Daedalus, we've just never seen a "real" visual effects version of it, just a barely-seen model. Given that Sisko has a model of the never-built Freedom space station, there's no telling how accurate the model is... or if that ship ever actually existed. But, asuming it's an accurate ship, the back glowed so it's pretty irrelevant.

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Drexler's Officers Manual. I think translating the letters that way wasn't such a good choice. That's like having "Constitution class, ship no. 2" in big letters on the side of USS Enterprise (which isn't impossible, of course). I would've thought the letters would mean something like "Klingon Imperial fleet."

By the way, what year was that Officer's Manual published?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless it's a D-7 variant 4 ... as opposed to a variant 3 or 5 or even 5670.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

"Unless it's a D-7 variant 4 ... as opposed to a variant 3 or 5 or even 5670."

...which I SUPPOSE is possible, but that's like having "F-14B" in big letters being the only markings on a Tomcat fighter.

FYI: the markings on the ST:TMP ships are different. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/ktinga-model2b.jpg
It's also different on BOPs according to this FF pic: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/bop-top-color.jpg

So maybe it's an individual registry number?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hahahahah. I'm told you Liverpoolians like them small, Liam."

By whom? The mad little people of mad world, who

1/ Don't know that it's "Liverpudlian", and
2/ Don't know that I'm from London, and therefore a cockney?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are both examples of the Okuda-Klingon that doesnt have translations.

BTW, which modification of the K't'inga is that? I dont recall the big Klingon emblem being in TMP or ST:6. Which ep did it get that paint job for?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Those are both examples of the Okuda-Klingon that doesnt have translations.

BTW, which modification of the K't'inga is that? I dont recall the big Klingon emblem being in TMP or ST:6. Which ep did it get that paint job for?

Actually, that's the TMP model as it was before Trumbull had it redetailed and a lot more stuff put on it.

As to the big Klingon emblem, you never see it from below in TMP, so it was probably always there.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/ktinga-model2b.jpg

That is one awesome schematic/cgi picture! Who did that!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, it's the studio model.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had once heard a rumor that the Klingon D-12 Bird of Prey in "Generations" was supposed to be a new model, but to cut costs, the footage of the Bird of Prey from STVI was used instead. Can anyone confirm this?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps