Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ENT "Unexpected" Klingon Ship: D-7? (Minor Spoliers) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ENT "Unexpected" Klingon Ship: D-7? (Minor Spoliers)
NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually in the issue of Cinefex that detailed ST6, they had a mock-up of a new ship that was to appear as Chang's flagship. However, due to budget constraints a film version was not made and we had to make do with a revised K'T'Inga.

Hope this helps!

quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
I had once heard a rumor that the Klingon D-12 Bird of Prey in "Generations" was supposed to be a new model, but to cut costs, the footage of the Bird of Prey from STVI was used instead. Can anyone confirm this?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not answering his question though, is it? Nope. Although I'd like to see scans of that proposed ship.

Anyway, there is at least one obviously reused shot of the BOP in Generations, when it explodes. Apart from that though, how on earth can it be reused shots? When did Chang's BOP ever fly near the solar observatory, and when did it shoot the Ent-D?

I don't think it's a new model. I seem to remember an argument about the longest serving minture, and the BOP came in second, after the K'tinga (although no-one could remember if the K'tinga in WOTW onwards was CGI, the old model, or a new model).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psy: I didn't mean to imply that every single shot of the ship was stock footage, only that TPTB could re-use some stock footage they had from the last movie if they re-used the same model.

NeghVar: When you referred to this study model, did you mean they were going to use it for Chang's BoP as you said, or for the K'Tinga Kronos One? Little confusion here. And I suppose you don't have a pic of that model, or you would already have posted it here.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
That's not answering his question though, is it? Nope. Although I'd like to see scans of that proposed ship.[QB]

quote:
[QB]NeghVar: When you referred to this study model, did you mean they were going to use it for Chang's BoP as you said, or for the K'Tinga Kronos One? Little confusion here. And I suppose you don't have a pic of that model, or you would already have posted it here.

Dukhat/Psyliam: If I had pics...they would be here. They only described the ship in the article, no pics. The issue in question was CINEFEX #49. And you are right, I think it was meant to used in place of Kronos One. Been a while since I read it...someone somewhere must have seen or taken pics of this ship. Now we just need to find that person/s...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say I'm glad they went with the old model. Added a great deal to the Cold War feel of the film.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think of it this way, they are one and the same, its just that in the 60s, TOS didnt have the technology to convey the way they 'really' look like.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any pictures of this unseen Klingon concept ship that was dropped because of budget issues?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure there are. The question is, 'can we see them?'

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Given that Sisko has a model of the never-built Freedom space station ...

Freedom? AFAIK, Sisko only has a model of the ISS! Since the station is shown in the ENT opening sequence, we can safely assume that it was completed in canon Star Trek universe.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Sisko's model is of the ancient Tellarite space station Glar-Ven Kor-Eff 2 and it just looks like Freedom or ISS

meow

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Davok:
Freedom? AFAIK, Sisko only has a model of the ISS! Since the station is shown in the ENT opening sequence, we can safely assume that it was completed in canon Star Trek universe.

You sure? Freedom and ISS are pretty similar to the casual observer... and even if it is the ISS, it's not the same version that is being built and is seen in Enterprise. Deep Space Nine went on the air in the early nineties, well before the current design was finalized... so it can't be the ISS as we know it now, at least I don't think it can.

But I'm not that big of a real-life-space-stuff-o-phile, so someone else needs to take a look and tell me what's up.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Encyclopedia, it's the ISS. But that's just the Encyclopedia.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, after reading Bernd's new Klingon ship listing, I am revising my earlier post. It looks like there were only three versions of that ship:

1. The original TOS ship,

2. The TMP version, which was also the ship used in Voyager & Enterprise, and

3. Greg Jein's model for "Trials & Tribble-ations," which was meant to represent the TOS ship but with wing detailing.

I also rescind my previous theory that the TOS ships were D-4's, as I think it's more logical to assume that all the versions were D-7's, just different types.

As for the "D-7" and "K'T'inga" classes being one & the same, I prefer to think that D-7 was just the Federation designation for the K'T'inga, just as "B-Type" was the Federation designation for the D'deridex class.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for the "D-7" and "K'T'inga" classes being one & the same, I prefer to think that D-7 was just the Federation designation for the K'T'inga, just as "B-Type" was the Federation designation for the D'deridex class.

Then why did Kor use "D5" when speaking to an audience of Klingons? Neither he nor the listeners were Federation citizens.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly for the same reason that Klingons speak both English and Klingon in the same sentence?

Stroppy universal translator...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps