Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Excelsior Class Question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Excelsior Class Question
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like the idea of a shuttle and/or cargo bay without doors. I'd call it an "expansion slot" where they can add mission-specific equipment. You know, a wireless modem, digital camera, and whatnot.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For that matter, are the two additions to the primary hull on the E-B shuttlebays or auxiliary impulse engines? The MSD from "Generations" says they are shuttlebays, but other publications have called them impulse decks.

If they are secondary impulse engines, they don't make much sense to me. If you use them when the ship is in one piece, they're going to fire exhaust gases right into the warp nacelles. Not smart. And if they're meant for use after saucer separation, then they're waaaaayy too big for the job. They're bigger than the saucer engines on a Galaxy-class ship, for pity's sake!

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You mean Bill George? I doubt even he knew - I figure he put it there and filled it with random greeblies to account to make it look interesting.

Like I said, one way to find out...

But it does look like some sort of docking bay.

As for the E-B, those are definatly impulse engines (coz they glow red)
as for the apparent shuttlebay in the saucer, the doors could be just under the original (and very small) impulse engines at the back of the saucer.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo & I went through this about a year ago on RAST. We came to the conclusion that the cavity structure could very well be a shuttle bay. There ARE doors there, as evidenced by the AMT model.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ent-B variation's shuttlebays have been pretty much defined as the red housings on the primary hull...which do look much like impulse units. Of course, an Excelsior class ship wouldn't need that much inpule power, would it? After all, the original design lasts for ninety years...with no additional units.
As for the underside cavity, a tractor beam housing makes sense, perhaps a powerful towing unit? I dunno.
Regards

IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont see why anyone could say that the E-B's impulse engines are shuttlebays.. probably because they look so much like impulse engines.

The MSD shows a cutaway of the ship at the CENTERLINE. The red impulse decks are NOT ON THE CENTERLINE. There is one to port and one to starboard.

There could of course be a shuttlebay between them...
(and the Khan award for two-dimensional thinking goes to..)

Youre right about the exhaust though..

In the DC vol.1 TOS comics, that is where the HMS Bounty docked when Kirk brought it along when he took command of Excelsior (he kept it cloaked too!).. the front of the BOP fit right in it. (and when Mirror-Kirk took over the ship, Kirk used the Bounty's prefix code to access its weapons and have it gut the Excelsiors engine room from within the shields. Yay!
I realize this has nothing to do with anything. I just thought it was cool. There was this bad guy in engineering and he fell down the warp core. He was on fire.

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whee. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was this Klingon, and Worf shot him, and he fell down the side of the warp core too. He broke glass. Hahhahahaha.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. But I've seen that. Whereas I only got the first part of the DC Mirror Universe story. I do remember that it seemed to have been drawn by the same people who did He-Man. Lots of variation. Obviously.

And also Saavik was being drawn like Kirsty Alley, for some reason. There was a good episode of Cheers on tonight. Rebecca had to look after a dog. Farce ensued. There was laughter.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Norm!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morn!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Among things that we "never get to see in action" could be a big auxiliary vessel. Not a poshy captain's yacht in this case, since what is usually stuffed into that hole is an unholy cluttering of boxes and girders and other spare parts. Perhaps rather a huge dropship for planetary assaults? The thing in there could unfold into something from "Aliens". Or then a portable spacedock for deep-space self-repairs.

My pet theory is that there was this hugely important piece of transwarp machinery there at first. When that one became unnecessary, the engineers simply shoved the leftover bits from all the upgrades and modifications there - cooling pipes, exhausts, rows and rows of booster cards for the computers - until the cavity was filled to capacity. In other ships, they were forced to package such stuff more neatly.

Timo Saloniemi

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The MSD shows a cutaway of the ship at the CENTERLINE. The red impulse
decks are NOT ON THE CENTERLINE. There is one to port and one to
starboard."

You might want to take another look at the MSD. The display clearly says "Main Shuttlebay P/S", and the area it points to matches the contours of the pods pretty damn closely.

Considering the size of the auxiliary engines on the E-D saucer, I can't see any reason why a corresponding set of engines on the E-B would need to be so much larger. Unless, of course, they're burning rocket fuel.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah they're impulse engines. Any MSD that says otherwise to the design intenetions is what is at fault here, because the graphics boys dont seem to know what the design boys were thinking sometimes

They glowed red and flared brighter in a close up when the ship was maneuvering, for chrissakes

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise-B MSD had plenty of other mistakes too, so I wouldn't trust it worth a crap.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.