Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Excelsior Class Question (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Excelsior Class Question
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe the additional stuff on the front of those Excelsior-B nacelles is meant to shield them from the impulse exhaust.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally...if I were in a shuttle, I would not try and land in the saucer "shuttlebays/impulse engines." Not a big fan of extra-crispy.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eaves said they were impulse engines. I can't remember the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of

"I stuck two big impulse engines on the saucer. I figured the saucer would need them if it seperated. The monkeys in Return to Oz frighten me. Go biscuits!"

Or something like that.

The Ent-B MSD is missing the new stickey-out bits (sorry for being tecnical) on the stardrive section, isn't it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple more views I've got of that cavity. Still no clearer as to what it may represent, but I have doubts it is a second shuttle bay area.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Ent-B MSD is missing the new stickey-out bits (sorry for being tecnical) on the stardrive section, isn't it?...

Yep. Model design had not been finalized when bridge set and graphics were designed. Mentioned in TAoST.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, the big impulse engines could still be shuttlebays. They could simply have been lit red in the TWO SHOTS they were really seen in any detail, if they ship was at red alert. Or if some people were toasting marshmelons in the big open spaces. Or the material they were made of was really shiny, and was merely reflecting the nexus they were in. I know the physical model has red ports, but hey, maybe it's just creative painting.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and while we're at it, here's a pic of the aft cutout section of the original six-foot Excelsior model, as modified into the E-B and then the Lakota. You can see it differs significantly from the 3-foot "Flashback" model shown above.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/lakota-21.jpg

Mark

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still think that the MSD guys just didnt have the final model, so made many errors including two nonexistent shuttlebays and a lack of later hull details.
Why is this theory persisting? Are we going to have a 1701-D duck, airplane and Nomad probe because it was on their MSD? graphics department does all sorts of nonsensical stuff..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in the TNG Movie Sketchbook they are specifically said to be impulse engines "because the ship would need extra engines when the saucer detached" (paraphrased from a quote by John Eaves about the extra parts and doohickies that he designed for the Enterprise-b). i, like many others, might not particuraly like John Eaves' designs, but i believe him when he says that red glowy impulse engine looking things that he designed are impulse engines.

[edit: i'm in no way saying that the impulse engines make any sense, i'm just repeating what John Eaves said.]

--jacob

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm of the opinion that the pic of the underside cutout area shown above and the one at the link above support the idea that that is a shuttle bay area. You can see a set of what look like "garage" doors in one of those pictures and the structure mounted to the ceiling of that area looks perfect for a docking port. The Ent B modification even has little arms attached to that area that would make perfect sence for recovery tools or repair eqipment.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, the E-B/Lakota modification specifically blocks those "garage doors" by extending that whole strange structure and moving it aft, closer to the cavity rim. And the doors are small to begin with, barely one deck high.

It sure looks as if both the models of that structure would be able to accommodate a relatively large auxiliary vessel that docks from below, though. Those tiny "arms" would then pamper this vessel, while access to the mothership would be through bow or topside doors.

This would be a perfect place to install the ship's antimatter pods, though. Easy ejection, easy replenishment, and those boxes on the ceiling even look a bit like antimatter pods. Those of the Lakota would be bigger and badder, of course.

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Trus. It could also be an "foreign ship" docking bay, where nonstandard ships would dock if they were not equipped for the aft bay (e.g. gravity, etc.), or needed repairs, or whatever. It could also still be a cargo bay, as some of the doors look small enough for a cargo bay set (though I doubt Bill George was thinking about that) and the arms could be for unloading workbees or something.

Mark

--------------------

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe that stuff in the back is a towing arm that the designs slapped on the
Excelsior so that it could tow back all the Constitution Class ships
And when it comes to the Lakota Starfleet decided to keep
the design feature because it was helpful.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me ... (and I speak only for myself here) ... my bet is its access to the ship's cargo bays. Thats what the model detail looked like, anyways.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
in the TNG Movie Sketchbook they are specifically said to be impulse
engines "because the ship would need extra engines when the saucer
detached" (paraphrased from a quote by John Eaves about the extra parts
and doohickies that he designed for the Enterprise-b). i, like many
others, might not particuraly like John Eaves' designs, but i believe
him when he says that red glowy impulse engine looking things that he
designed are impulse engines.

Maybe so, but have they ever been referred to as engines on screen? I don't think so, but my memory may be faulty. At least the MSD has been seen on screen. If we're going to get into arguments over which one we should accept, we might as well go back over to the Yamato registry thread for a few more rounds on that topic.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps