Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » More Torpedo Tubes on the Enterprise ($$$)

Author Topic: More Torpedo Tubes on the Enterprise ($$$)
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the end of tonight's episode, "Civilization", the Enterprise is being chased by an alien vessel and firing a large number of torpedoes out her backside. They came from underneath the saucer, from some fairly clear spots.

The alien ship was pretty cool though, gotta say that.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, this makes me wonder if the aft-firing torpedo in "Fight or Flight" really did come from the aft pod. I can't really remember that sequence, but did we see the torpedo actually emerge from the pod or appear from under the pod? Still, these new weapons ports on the aft underside of the saucer is a good thing, in my opinion. There's some symmetry to the front and back of the saucer. It also seemed to indicate that a fair amount of the lower saucer is dedicated to the defense systems. These new tubes are also in pretty good spots. There's nothing to obstruct the path of fire.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the Akiraprise, I mean the Enterprise have some kind of plasma based weapon in Broken Bow?

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehheheheheheha, yuoo su foonny! Celleeng it Akurepreese-a! Heheheheheha! Yuoo su foonny! Yuoo shuoold be-a Juhnny Cersun! Heheheheheha!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be willing to bet the plasma weapons are only on the front-side of the ship.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, I thought those things they fired at the alien ship at first _were_ the plasma cannons. But they didn't look quite right.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me, or it the "Akiraprise" thing getting a little old now that everyone has seen that the ship doesn't look anywhere near as similar to the Akira as we thought? Nobody runs around calling the Olympic the "Daedalympic" and Bill George a design-theif just because they both have big balls. Erm, yeah.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I call her the "Pre-E" almost exclusively. Calling her simply "NX-01" is pretty popular here too...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now we've seen that it is like the Akira in at least one way: IT HAS TOO MANY GODDAMNDED TORPEDO TUBES FOR ITS OWN FRIGGIN' GOOD!

-MMoM

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, given that they seem to be able to launch only one at a time, with a lengthy-but-cool loading sequence required in between shots, having more tubes is probably a good thing. In that respect, the Pre-E has quite the submarine feel.

Assuming the aft pod tube in "Fight or Flight" is still an official tube the count is now up to three tubes aft and four forward. Assuming the plasma guns seen in the pilot are those non-bumps on the forward dorsal, there are at least two emission points for that. We'll probably get an even better idea of her loadout when we get those cannons installed...

Finally, I think the aft pod tube still makes sense - in fact, it could be a multipurpose pod that was specifically used in "Fight or Flight" becausse they were still figuring out how to make the torpedoes blow stuff up, and then in "Unexpected" to fire that charge. One could surmise that deployable probes, mines, and other whatnot could be in there.

Mark

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Submarine = Good

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, this ship is the new Enterprise, Enterprise (no article), or the NX Enterprise. Sometimes I'll use NX-01. The other ships I call the original Enterprise, the refit Enterprise, and the Enterprise-Letter. It works well for me. Your mileage may vary.

As for the weapons ports, there are four holes in a row on the front underside of the saucer. However, I think only two of those are actual torpedo tubes. In "Fight or Flight," Archer and Reed were talking about the starboard tube and the port tube. It sounds like there are only two forward tubes since they didn't make a distinction between the inner two holes or the outer two holes. There was no Starboard Tube 1 or Port Center Tube.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I refer to it as "Akiraprise" simply because I got used to calling it that before. Not to mention that we have had official word that TPTB intentionally used the Akira as a basis, just because people thought it was "cool". I'm not such a fan of that sort of thinking, so I don't have a problem w/ continuing to mock it. :-)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps