Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Enterprise Class
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched TWOK on DVD and saw that the Kobayashi Maru simulator had the following label:

MARK IV
SIMULATOR
ENTERPRISE CLASS

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the Enteprise Class of bridge modules, instead of Enterprise Class of ships?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow I doubt that.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, for use by the class assigned to Enterprise rather than the class assigned to Vyborg or Kinshasa or Altair.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this case i think its likely that the person who decided the refit Enterprise was still called a Constitution-class was a pig-fucker.

Whew.. glad we settled that

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, Mike, you are.

Glad we cleared that up.

--------------------
Meh

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say it likely meant that this was the simulator room for the class of trainees assigned to the Enterprise, as Shik said.

I think it's definitely been settled that the E-refit and E-A are Constitution-class. Which actually makes sense. The ship in TMP is the same vessel as we saw on the TV series. A ship can't change classes. Well, maybe in some fandom sources they can, but I've never been a fan of such ideas. Upgrading a ship, even drastically, does not make that ship a different class. Just an upgrade of the same class it's always been.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I'd say it likely meant that this was the simulator room for the class of trainees assigned to the Enterprise, as Shik said.

While that is the best explanation now since we know the refit was still Constitution-class, it is very likely--certain, actually--that at the time it was meant to be Enterprise-class.

quote:
I think it's definitely been settled that the E-refit and E-A are Constitution-class.

Yes, after Star Trek VI that is pretty definitive.

quote:
Which actually makes sense. The ship in TMP is the same vessel as we saw on the TV series. A ship can't change classes. Well, maybe in some fandom sources they can, but I've never been a fan of such ideas. Upgrading a ship, even drastically, does not make that ship a different class. Just an upgrade of the same class it's always been.

In the United States Navy, and other navies, ships can and do change classes. "Some fandom sources" (read: everyone, including the producers of the movies) just assumed that Starfleet kept that method of class naming. Since Starfleet generally follows naval traditions, it would make more sense if the refit Enterprise was not Constitution-class. However, it is, and there's not much getting around that, so we need a different explanation for the simulator label.

On the other hand, the label isn't any less canon than Scotty's blueprints in Star Trek VI, so one could make the arguement that the later movie made a mistake. Take your pick.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno how you can read that that says Enterprise Class. Too small for me to read...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://home.arcor.de/spike730/misc/enterpriseclass.jpg

That's not too small.

Maybe the intention was that the Enterprise class is a sub-class of the Constitution class.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:

In the United States Navy, and other navies, ships can and do change classes.

When has that happened? The only thing even close I can think of is when the Thresher was lost. Being the first ship of its class, they decided to rename the class to the second boat in line, the Permit. But that was a truly unusual case. If you want to get even more picky, ships do change class when they're produced in one country and end up serving the navy of another. But that's not really the case here.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eh, I guess it was just the crappy TV I got here.

And yes, Naval ships have changed classes countless times. Among the most well known were the nearly half a dozen different sub-classes of Essex class carriers.

As for "Enterprise Class", I can live with Enterprise SUB-Class, since it's possible that the Enterprise was the first Consitution to undergo refit and therefore be the first of the sub-class. It just gives a person the ability to talk about a class easier. Say "I like the Enterprise Sub-Class" instead of "I like the Constitution Class after her refit in 2272 and before her refit in 2285" or whatever.

Sort of like the whole Hope Sub-Class, Olympic Class thing...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it doesn't say anything about an Enterprise-class ship. It says it's an Enterprise-class simulator.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no. Not here too, for the love of forum-peace...

Over at the TrekBBS, there have been several very heated, long-winding arguments regarding the class of the 1701-refit / 1701-A (our own Defiant length wars are but a minor dispute compared to those infernos). No consensus was reached - there's likely never going to be one either.

Personally, I support the theory that 1701-refit was the prototype for a new type of 'subclass' (to which 1701-A belonged). It retained its Constitution 'mainclass' designation, because it was still clearly recognisable as such.

Also, 1701-refit and 1701-A aren't all that dissimilar - simply calling both
"Constitution-refits" seems like the easiest and most logical thing to do.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo Jojo has a good idea. Let's say that Enterprise (and all the other existing Constitution class ships) were refit; they remain Constitution class but are now "Enterprise-type ships of the Constitution class." However, all other ships subsequently built new in their image would be Enterprise class. There would be no ship of the Enterprise class actually named Enterprise.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps