Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Farragut in FC? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Farragut in FC?
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read this in a book I recently bought, Encyclopedia of Movie Special Effects, by Patricia D. Netzley. It's under the Star Trek entry, referring to First Contact:

"In fact, all the starships in the space battle with the Borg were computer-generated, with the exception of the Enterprise and the Farragut, which were state-of-the-art models.
The Farragut had been used on Star Trek:The Next Generation..." and that's it on the ship.

What does this mean? Either the facts are really screwed up (there are some problems in this book), and the author assumed the Farragut was the only Nebula-class ship, or the ILM people re-used the Farragut model for this battle. Either way, we know the Nebula-class model wasn't CGI now...

--------------------
Meh

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that they just used the Farragut model, unchanged from when it was last labeled for Generations.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except we know that the model had been relabeled as the Leeds for DS9 inbetween Generations and FC.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, this is a different one...
Or is it?

--------------------
Meh

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Leeds was the original Nebula-Class model...at least the first one we saw with a triangular pod...which was I think, the Sutherland.
The Farragut on the other hand was a new, more detailed model built by ILM for Generations, this is probably the one they used in First Contact.
Whether or not it was relabled is another matter, its not possible to tell from screen caps. Only behind the scenes information & photos will tell for sure.

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was stated by Okuda that the last use of the TNG Nebula model was in the DS9 title sequence, where it was relabelled as the Leeds. And since about the only class to feature in the first season of DS9 was the Nebula, there must be at least another, newer model.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was no nebula class starship in DS9 season 1. There was in DS9 season 2 "Second Sight" and the Yorktown? Docked at DS9 when Dr. Bashir's academy rival visited or was that Season 3? The one that thought Bashir was an Andorian!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got pictures of both the USS Leeds and Farragut models on my hard drive - they very much look like one and the same model. They do have very subtle differences with pictures I've got of the Sutherland though. For instance, the RCS thrusters are more detailed on the Farragut/Leeds than on the Sutherland.

My guess is that they're all the same single miniature but ILM spruced it up when they did Generations. It certainly wouldn't surprise me after what they did with the Excelsior.

Of course, this means that the Nebula in FC can't be the Farragut - it would have to be the Leeds or even relabeled to something else. BTW, wasn't the Farragut mentioned as being destroyed? And was it before or after FC took place?

(After seeing Andrew's post) There was a Nebula in DS9 season 1. There was the Bellerephon in the Wolf 359 scenes of "Emissary".

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: Dax ]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Farragut had already been destroyed.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When was it mentioned? I vaguely remember it being in the first episode of season 5 of DS9 (the name of which escapes me) but I can't quite be sure.

I thought we'd pretty much confirmed that the first CGI Nebula was in "Waltz"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand corrected... I forgot about Emissary!

The Farragut was indeed spruced up (well the Nebbie model was) a la the 6' Enterprise model was pulled out of moth-balls and spruced up. I'm guessing the Miranda and Oberth models were spruced up too... pity they couldn't spend the time to make a new model or spruce up the Olympic or something (I know they couldn't use anything that looked similar to the E-D - not to confuse non 'fan' people... so I guess no free standing up-nacelle ships...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Farragut was destroyed in "Nor the battle to the strong" episode 4of the 5 season.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless the Miranda and the Oberth models had deteriorated to the point of TV model quality, they wouldn't need to be spruced up for Generations. They were already built to be motion picture quality, the Miranda for ST2 and the Oberth for ST3.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about wear and tear?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, wait a minute...

We all know that stardates are in many cases useless, as they are often inconsistent. However, can someone check the stardates for "Nor the Battle to the Strong" (DS9) and First Contact, and see if we can tell which one happened first?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps