Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Why in the hell Akira was desighned so early?! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Why in the hell Akira was desighned so early?!
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... Let's see:

Akira being a CV- Big problem. Federation "fighters" are huge things, bigger than runabouts. I really doubt the Akira Class's hangers can operate them. Even the huge GCS might have issues with them, they're just too wide (if someone's got the Ent-D blue prints and time, they can tell us just how many of those things can be fitted inside the shuttle bays). Also, because of their size (plus no science equipement or beds or cabin), they've got probably at least as much endourance as a runabout, which means that most of the time they'll be flying over to the battle themselves.

Akira having 15 torpedo tubes- I find it hard to believe that the Federation will invest in something like that during a suppositely peaceful period. None of the conflict at the time could have justified something this powerful. Even the Cardassians are push-overs, as the USS Pheonix shown with her one forward torpedo tube. Even if they were single-firing tubes, they're packed in too close together to justify one being the other's backup in case of battle damage. A well place torpedo could knock several of those tubes out at once.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh.... aren't you guys forgetting that photon and quantum torpedoes can be fired out of the same tube. Just like TNG fired photons and probes? The DS9 TM might be riddled with errors, but I agree that the Defiant can fire a photon, quantum, and probe in a single volly without a problem ---- And that this version of torpedo launcher is the standard across the fleet.

Beyond that, it doesn't even matter. The probe has a significantly different shape from the PT, while the QT is much closer to the PT's shape. I'd prefer to think of the entire thing like a rail gun with a sled, but in this case the sled is comprised of a magnetic field.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And let's not forget to mention that the casing for a PT hasn't changed in 70 years... which includes the Excelsior Class and presumably the Miranda Class.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
And let's not forget to mention that the casing for a PT hasn't changed in 70 years... which includes the Excelsior Class and presumably the Miranda Class.

Really? I thought the TMP-era casings looked slightly smaller than the TNG/DS9/VOY era casings. Maybe it was just the lighting.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd wager that it's almost certainly the same prop.

Also, if you look at Soran's lab on the observatory during Generations, there are several torpedo casings, some of which are labelled TNG style, and some of which are labelled movie style (I forget if it's letters and numbers, or Roman Numberials vs, er, non Roman numbers).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to the launcher types, we have never ever seen a single launcher being able to fire both qtorp and photorps.

The Defiant: The fwd side launchers have only ever been seen firing qtorps - they've never fired a photorp or launched a probe. Whenever the Defiant has fired a torpedo from another location it has always been a photorp. I believe we saw a probe being launched from the nose once, and all aft fired torps were photorps.

Ent-E: Same thing here - the launcher above the yacht has only been seen firing qtorps yet, in Insurrection, we see a shot from the aft tube and its a photorp.

Conclusion: qtorp and photorp/probe launchers are different.

In regards to the Akira, maybe when they were first introduced it didn't have the pod or had a different pod. Take it away and the vessel looses at least 10 of its fabled 15 torp launchers. Speaking of which, does anyone know for sure how many of the tubes are in the pod? I think there may be as many as 12 (4 per "bank").

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
In regards to the Akira, maybe when they were first introduced it didn't have the pod or had a different pod. Take it away and the vessel looses at least 10 of its fabled 15 torp launchers. Speaking of which, does anyone know for sure how many of the tubes are in the pod? I think there may be as many as 12 (4 per "bank").

If you wanted a modular, mission variable pod, you've already got the Nebula. Its got a bigger pod than the Akira, and we know there are different pods avaliable.

It makes a lot more sense for launchers to be able to fire both QT and PT. For one thing, it makes the logistic situation easier. A ship with different launchers would have to carry different/non-interchangable torpedoes and spare parts for each launcher. Also, there isn't any thing to indicate that QT is so different from PT that the two can't share launchers.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, even if the torps arent interchangable, its probably not a great undertaking to swap out existing launchers to the quantorps. But i think quantorps differ from photorps only internally and dont really need much difference

Actullay, we dont know that Akira has a humongous through-bay or that it carries fighters (and we also dont know if there are smaller fighters than Peregrines, that are easier to fit into standard bays) What we do know is that it has three (labeled) shuttlebay doors. One large one and two smaller ones. The only other ship i can think of that has 3 like that is the Galaxy, and the Akira has a fraction of its internal volume. I think its likely that theres a reason they are there in that case, and that reason would be that the ship is a carrier. (aside from the fact that the designer said 'this ship is a carrier').

And the proliferation of weapons and warships during time of peace is not unheard of or uncommon.. its a result of a military focusing on preparedness and creating a deterrent to maintain a balance of power. And even though you say the wars of the 2340s-50s were minor, im sure the people in underpowered, undershielded ships that were dying in Talarian suicide bombs and Cardassian 'demonstrations of superiority' didnt think so. The fact that people were dying and that we had the technology to create a deterrent were the factors that led to a warship like that. And, as a deterrent, it may not have even been intended to be used often, but to exist in case we *did* need to use it.
The US has been building aircraft carriers, new bombers, new bombs and a whole lot of stuff id rather not think about during the peaceful periods between wars (or 'police actions').. and even after the end of the cold war, we continue to maintain our military.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
And the proliferation of weapons and warships during time of peace is not unheard of or uncommon.. its a result of a military focusing on preparedness and creating a deterrent to maintain a balance of power. And even though you say the wars of the 2340s-50s were minor, im sure the people in underpowered, undershielded ships that were dying in Talarian suicide bombs and Cardassian 'demonstrations of superiority' didnt think so. The fact that people were dying and that we had the technology to create a deterrent were the factors that led to a warship like that. And, as a deterrent, it may not have even been intended to be used often, but to exist in case we *did* need to use it.
The US has been building aircraft carriers, new bombers, new bombs and a whole lot of stuff id rather not think about during the peaceful periods between wars (or 'police actions').. and even after the end of the cold war, we continue to maintain our military.

There's a difference in making war machines, and making crazily powerful war machines. The US could have created giant battleships with missiles up the wazzu, but they didn't. There was no need for one class of god-like ships when a few cheaper, smaller vessels could have filled the same role. The impending introduction of the GCS and NCS, plus the existing Ambassador Class and upgradable Excelsior Class would have been more than enough to handle anything the Cardassians (the biggest threat at the time) had. There was no reason to create something like the 15 tubed, fighter bay-ed Akira Class.

As for varying fighter sizes, it's pretty conclusive that the same type of fighter shows up throughout DS9. Their weaponary varies, but everytime a fighter is mentioned, the Pereguine shows up. And gets prompty cannon-foddered. In general, fighters weren't all that effective throughout the war. Yet they kept using them. Those amazing, courageous men and their flying machines...

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: David Templar ]

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont consider the Akira to be a 'super-war-machine'.. that what the '"DefInt adn 4kIra fukcn' rawkx'" kids say.. its a starship similar to any other, and it has an extensive weapons package. It obviously performed well (but not perfectly) in the Dominion War and the Borg Invasion. It didnt seem to be at point position, but simply another starship with some weapons to fire. It didnt gain much ground tactically in those conflicts, and we saw some of them go down in flames, so it obviously didnt have the advantage over some of the other vessels.

And as for the fighters, what we see isnt always all there is. The Peregrines didnt ever seem to be embarked from anywhere, but always going along on their own. perhaps they were warp fighters, and there are smaller fighter ships we havent seen (and the reason we didnt see them isnt because they dont exist, but simply because it would have been a really BAD idea to use them either against the Borg or the Dominion fleets, but the Peregrines were more up to the task.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We know that the fighters (Peregrines?) can travel interstellar distances all on their own, as seen in "The Maquis". So obviously those blue-glowing things on them are warp nacelles, and the craft are capable of something like warp 5 at the very least. Otherwise, Cal Hudson and pals would not have arrived at their target within the season, let alone the episode...

It seems that operational procedures call for some of the fighters to be out between the big ships when a fleet is moving. This doesn't rule out the idea that some of them are being carried inside big starships, or that some are patrolling the outer perimeter well outside camera range, or that when the fleet is ordered to warp speed, all the fighters are recalled to their carriers.

The Akira may not be much of a carrier, making only a halfhearted attempt at accommodating these big fighters. It's obviously closer to the old Russian or Italian model of a carrier (a cruiser with a flight deck scabbed on) than the US one (an airfield placed atop a big freighter). Still, it's one of the ships with a high shuttlebay volume to overall volume ratio, probably only beaten by the Steamrunner. That is, if we assume that a large portion of Akira innards is indeed dedicated to the hangar.

The Steamrunner is a very likely candidate for a carrier: the shuttlebay door is a gigantic one-piece thing, so it would make no sense to have only a short bay behind (or rather in front of) it. It seems obvious that most of the hull is dedicated to one huge boxy bay (the contours of which are obvious from outside), with forward launch tubes in addition to the humungous back door. It's also more like the US aircraft carriers in that it has few and short phaser strips and nothing that would even remotely look like a torpedo launcher.

I have no trouble believing that Starfleet would have had these carriers in pre-TNG days, not when we know how the UFP was constantly fighting somebody back then. Picard's E-D adventures seem to have represented only a brief lull of peace. And if O'Brien went to Setlik III in 2347 aboard a ship with a 57000 rego, then the Steamrunners with their 54000 regos probably date back to the mid-2340s... (In general, registries seem to follow a pattern where the first digit is one higher than the earliest known operating decade: 57XXX in the 2340s, lots of 7XXXX ships in the 2360s, and so forth. But we all know the system is not really systematic.)

Timo Saloniemi

Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,as far as I know, qtorps are slightly larger than photorps(only slightly!).So I think that quantum tube can fire photons, but photube can't fire quantums.

Yeah,I don't think that Akira is heavy carrier,but it obivously can carry fighters. And we're in space,remember?You can stock fighters in several levels,Peregrine isn't tall at all.

15 tubes don't make an warship?If they're really pulse-fire, that is well enough to kill equal-sized Dominion ship in second.So I think it's really crazily powerful.But I agree with "pod" idea,however,I think that Akira's pod is "welded" with it's structure,unlike detachable Nebula's pod.

Really..It's silly that Akiras can't fire quantums.Just imagine:5 Akiras approaching Borg cube.Dropping out of warp, deploying fighters with qtorps on their bellies,and everyone warping again.Fighters and Akiras firing all torps at once...No more Borg!

--------------------
Fear is the ultimate enemy.And unreasoning is second that.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The number of tubes might in fact be to compensate for the wimpiness of individual tubes. Just compare an early Ticonderoga SAM armament(four "tubes", in groups of two) to a late model (what, 60-70 "tubes"?). Firepower hasn't really been upgraded much - a VLS cell can let rip with missiles basically at the same rate an articulated twin launcher can, without risking interference from closely spaced launches, and houses a similar total of shots.

As for stacking the fighters, I think the nature of Trek artificial gravity would allow for that - shuttlebays were designated as "variable gravity areas" aboard the E-D already. And the fighters probably have folding wings (or else they would need very long "stork-leg" landing gear). Still, a completely hollowed-out Akira probably couldn't carry more than 15 or perhaps 20.

And as for the p-torp vs. q-torp argument, naturally it would be logistically simpler if the two types could use the same tube.Missiles as wildly different as Standard SAM, Harpoon ASM and ASROC ASWM can use the same common launcher. Then again, a Tomahawk or an ATACMS or a RAM cannot... And Trek torp launchers come with an integral warhead loader, which may have to be drastically different for p-torps and q-torps.

Timo Saloniemi

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Sits back and sighs with relief that he does not have to participate in this discussion because he realizes registry numbers are not chronological...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Factoid of the Day: A 30-35m Peregrine wouldn't fit through any of the shuttlebay doors on the Akira.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps