Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Preview: pre-Fed ship database (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Preview: pre-Fed ship database
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's only a very coarse list so far, several names are still missing (suggestion are welcome, though):

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/prefed_ships.htm

Should I include real-world spacecraft too (like the space shuttle or ISS)? In this case, I wonder if it would make sense to restrict myself to the ones mentioned or seen on screen.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
4) The registry NX-01 is inconsistent with the NX-01-A of the "USS Dauntless" in VOY: "Hope and Fear". Maybe Arturis, who imitated the look and feel of a Starfleet ship otherwise perfectly, made an error here. The Voyager should have wondered why in the world Starfleet would name a ship "Dauntless", but re-use the registry NX-01, as if it were a homage to Enterprise. More here.

I think the registries of Earth Starfleet ships have nothing to do with the registries of Federation Starfleet ships.

The other ships from Up The Long Ladder are missing.

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you that for my ship list, I'm only including ships with warp drive, and ships that appear to actually be part of an Earth "fleet", meaning I exclude the Phoenix.

And even though we all know you hate the "Akira-prise", I don't think it helps the fans with you ranting about it in your list.

Oh, and other ships to add to your list:
SS Columbia
SS Enterprise (the other one)
The three ships from "Fortunate Son"

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there were a load of other ships mentioned in the Okudagram along with the Mariposa:

S.S. HOKULE'A
DY-500(C)
Commanded by Captain Melinda Snodgrass, Launched in 2102 on a Deep Space Exploration mission to the Fiscus Sector

S.S. SEATTLE NAR-18834

Commanded by Captain Wendy Neuss, Launched in 2120 on a ADR Looping mission to the Fiscus Sector

S.S. TOMOBIKI
RT-2203
Commanded by Captain Peter Lauritson, Launched in 2119 on a Deep Space Exploration mission to the Fiscus Sector

S.S. BUCKAROO BANZAI
BBI-993
Commanded by Captain John Whorfin, Launched in 2137 on a Mission to Planet 10 (DIM B) in the Fiscus Sector

S.S. URUSEI YATSURA
DY-430
Commanded by Captain David Glink, Launched in 2146 on a Nebula Survey Project to the Fiscus Sector

S.S. HATTERAS
DY-245
Commanded by Captain Gary Loes, Launched in 2187 on a Deep Space Exploration mission to the Fiscus Sector

V.K. YURI GAGARIN
DY-732
Commanded by Captain Winrich Kolbe, Launched in 2105 on a Colonization mission to the Fiscus Sector

V.K VELIKAN
DY-1200
Commanded by Captain Gene Roddenberry, Launched in 2160 on a mission to Explore Strange, New Worlds in the Fiscus Sector

D.E.V. EAGLE VALLEY
DY-950
Commanded by Captain Dan King, Launched in 2183 on a Colonization mission to the Fiscus Sector

H.M.S. LORD NELSON
DY-500(B)
Commanded by Captain Young Jae Kim, Launched in 2120 on a Deep Space Exploration mission to the Fiscus Sector

H.M.S NEW ZEALAND
DY-732(N)
Commanded by Captain Bob Lederman, Launched in 2135 on a Diplomatic mission to Alderaan in the Fiscus Sector

It's not 100% Cannon (especially with some of the injokes) but it seams consistant and it was onscreen so I think you can get away with it for the most part.

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding real space vehicles mentioned on-screen would be a logical addition.

Vehicles you might want to add:

- Orbital Nuclear Weapons Platform, from "Assignment: Earth" (TOS)
- International Space Station
- The VentureStar lookalike from ENT's opening credits
- Voyager 6, from TMP
- The Earth-Saturn space-probe from "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)
- Charybdis
Some background info from that Okudagram in "The Continuing Mission" (Page 81):

quote:

MISSION COMMANDER: Richey, Stephen G., Col. United States Air Force
DEPARTURE: 07-23-2067 LOST: 2-07-2068
DEPUTY MISSION DIRECTORS/PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATORS: SEE 12488.85

SPACE VEHICLE CHARYBDIS, BLOCK D GAS-CORE FISSION REACTOR PROPULSION SYSTEM. CREW COMPLEMENT: 15. VEHICLE SYSTEMS AT TELEMETRY CUTOFF INDICATED THRUST ABNORMALITY; VEHICLE ATTAINED 12X SOLAR ESCAPE VELOCITY 2.56 HOURS EARLIER THAN PLANNED. ASSUMED VEHICLE LOST WITH CONSUMABLES RUNOUT, 20% POSSIBILITY OF CREW SURVIVAL WITH HIBERNATION SYSTEMS AT LOW USAGE MODE. DEEP SPACE TRACKING HISTORY: SEE 12489.97. FOLLOWUP MISSION JACOB RESULTED IN NEGATIVE TRACK: SEE 12491.23

MISSION OBJECTIVES: SURVEY OF DEEP EXTRASOLAR ENVIRONMENT TO DISTANCE OF 100 A.U.; INTERACTION OF SOLAR MAGNETIC FIELD AT HELIOPAUSE; LONG DURATION CREW HABITATION; USAF ELECTRIC FIELDS EXPERIMENT MODULE ADAPTABILITY STUDY (INTERAGENCY CO-OP PROG).

Decide for yourselves how canon this is.
- Jacob follow-up mission to Charybdis. See above.
- Phoenix. You forgot the most important Star Trek vessel...
- The S.S. Enterprise
- The Y and J classes
- Possibly even the UTLL list

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, and I thought you said you *weren't* going to turn your site into an Enterprise bashing site..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SS Hateras and DEV Eagle Valley shouldn't be on the list, since their launch dates is AFTER the 2161 date of the creation of the Federation.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Oh, and Pioneer is another spacecraft that was seen in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I've just noticed about the Conestoga, stick a large sphere on the front of it and your not a million miles away from a Daudalus...just an observation.

quote:
SS Hateras and DEV Eagle Valley shouldn't be on the list, since their launch dates is AFTER the 2161 date of the creation of the Federation.

I guess that depends on how you interperate pre-fed, literally right up to the signing of the articles of the federation or not until a unified federation fleet is properly established.

Your probably right, but they make a worthy side note.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) The diameter of the T'Plana Hath is roughly 47 meters according to the Encyclopedia charts. I got 43m by measuring Eaves' sketches showing a human figure beneath, assuming the figure is 1.83 meters tall. I'm not sure if the name is in the script, but it does appear on a couple of Eaves' sketches, I believe.

2) You could mention that the Warp Five Complex was opened in a ceremony 32 years before "Broken Bow", or in 2119.

3) Height of the Nomad: "a fraction over one meter" according to Spock. It's described as four feet tall in "The Making of Star Trek", which would be 1.2 meters. This is all after modification by aliens.

4) The Ares specifications have been given in the episode, I believe. You can also measure the length of the DY-100 in the Encyclopedia. I don't have any of these sources at hand.

5) Are you going to include the Enterprise shuttlecraft? They're 20 feet long according to a Magazine sketch by Eaves.

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. However, I do agree with 359. We all know how much you hate the pre-E. It is not neccessary to make it a reoccuring theme in your website. It is about the tech of trek. Not about how much you hate the pre-E. On the other hand, it IS your web-site.
IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the additions. As I said, it's still in the making, and other ships like the Phoenix are not yet there because I'm still working on decent schematics.

quote:
It is about the tech of trek. Not about how much you hate the pre-E.

That's right. I'm always trying to tell that it's bad tech. The question really is if I should do it so often.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

How is it bad tech? According to your chart, the NX and Akira classes only share the pod, the notch in the front, the raised section on top of the saucer, the impulse engines, the P-38 homage, and the windows cut in the side of the saucer.

Now, the notch in the front is for two totally seperate things on each ship...no real fault there.

The raised section on the saucer is...well...just a raised section. There's nothing there.

The impulse engines are in the same place...so what, they're in the same place on a Galaxy too.

The P-38 homage I believe is STILL a homage. And besides, they ARE bigger on the NX class then on the Akira class, meaning that they might serve the same purpose, and yet be roughly the same size.

And the windows are again, just windows. No big deal...

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the Bonaventure... and what was the name of the ship that crash landed on Thalos? The Columbia or something?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The launch date of the Bonadventure was never specified in TAS, and she looks like something launched only a few decades before NCC-1701... And I don't think Bernd is doing TAS anyway, except through pointers to Curt Danhauser's site.

Speaking of unclear launch dates, the Valiant is also an unknown entity. Kirk says the ship departed "over 200 years ago" and the recorder buoy was launched "almost 200 years ago". This gives a lot of leeway. The Valiant could easily even be a sublight vessel from the 2050s, since there seems to be a concensus that she could not have reached "the edge of the galaxy" on her own regardless of the drive system she possessed.

The Columbia from "The Cage" would have been launched well after the founding of the Federation, since Vina was a child at launch and an old woman, not a desiccated old corpse, when encountered by Pike. Also, Pike thought the fake males there were plausible. They would have been mature adults at launch, most probably, and still looked reasonably pre-mummified when discovered. Okuda's Chronology suggestions seem acceptable in this respect.

IMHO, the database should be limited to vessels and installations shown or mentioned in Trek, omitting the real-world vehicles whose existence in the Trek timeline cannot be confirmed. For example, we know the Apollo spacecraft existed since we have seen some tabletop models etc., but there is no proof the Gemini or Soyuz programs existed... I think we should play safe here.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps