Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Preview: pre-Fed ship database (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Preview: pre-Fed ship database
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For example, we know the Apollo spacecraft existed

And it was on a computerscreen in Insurrection:

quote:
Apollo 11
Humanity in space

Early space exploration expedition
Launched from Earth in July 1963, the first mission to send humans to Earth's moon. The spacecraft was launched by a huge chemically fueled rocket known as a Saturn V. Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on another world. Describing the achievment as "One small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind." The craft was injected onto translunar trajectory just 1.1 seconds later than predicted, and the trajectory again was so accurate that there was no need to make an early mid-course correction. Saturn 5 was a tribute to the industrial wealth of the United States. Only the richtest of nations could afford carriers on the scale of Saturn, even the highly advanced nations had found it advisable to pool thier resources for more modest space programs. An almost utopian city, Mojave is located in the southwestern region of the North American continent, the area boasts sparkling cities surrounded by wide belts of

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DY-100 should have at least one definite name under it: Botany Bay. Woden is a possiblity, since its appearance in "The Ultimate Computer" was a reuse of the Botany Bay footage. That one is a little problematical, though. Why would you still be using a late 20th Century interplanetary ship as an interstellar freighter in the 2260s? I've always had a problem with that.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if the D-7 can be around for 225 years...

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The woden could have been a converted DY-100 that happened to be traveling through a nearby system when the M-5 detected it, whose to say that it was in interstellar space?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Enterprise type
2) The strange ring structure, where the ring obviously houses the propulsion system, doesn't fit into the Federation design lineage. The ship, however, looks very similar to the Vulcan Surak class. It is possible that humans acquired one or more Vulcan ships, which would explain the name "Enterprise". It is also possible that it is a prototype ship built by humans, inspired by Vulcan technology. If this is so, the project was obviously a failure, considering that all known later Federation starship designs have the familiar nacelles again.
3) If the SS Enterprise (note that the prefix SS is only conjectural) is no Starfleet ship, there is no naming conflict, and it may have been in service at any time prior to 2271 when it appeared in TMP.
4) The Star Trek Chronology suggests that the SS Enterprise should have been a 300m long starliner for 800 passengers. As Paul Cargile pointed out some time ago, this is complete bogus. At 300m, the bow section would be smaller than the Defiant, and imagine 800 people on such a small ship!

I always thought of this as a sublight cruise ship and that those rings are actually rotating sections that create gravity for the passengers...do you think 800 people would it in that instead?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo says: "For example, we know the Apollo spacecraft existed since we have seen some tabletop models etc., but there is no proof the Gemini or Soyuz programs existed... I think we should play safe here."

Whether they happened in the ST universe depends on when you think it started to diverge from the real universe. The first unmanned Gemini flight was in April '64 and the first manned flight was in March 65. Unmanned and manned flights of Soyuz first took place in 1966 and 1967, respectively. So, did ST and reality start diverging when ST was in its planning phases, when the first pilot was made, when the series started airing (Sept 8, 1966), or at some time latter (For example, when Enterprise beams aboard the F-104 pilot or when Gary 7 showed up to monkey with the missile platform)?

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's a Soyuz class of Starfleet ships, isn't that a strong enough indication about the existance of a Soyuz spacecraft?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Trek universe might diverge from our own when the lunar program was stopped. In the Trek universe they kept going.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have incorporated many of the suggestions.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/starship_database.htm

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahhhh. Excellent. Love that little article on the DY-100 class ship. I totally agree that that 2050 is probably a much more acurate date for WW3. (aka the Eugenics Wars) However, the question as to why it has been seen floating around in the mid-23rd century still gives me a headache. *shakes head*
IP: Logged
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the revision a lot. Two comments: the Valiant was "missing" for over two centuries -- it could've departed earlier. On hearing that a magnetic space storm swept it to Enterprise's position (before they left the galaxy), Kirk says "The old impulse engines weren't strong enough." -- strong enough to resist the storm, or strong enough to take them from somewhere close to Earth to the edge of the galaxy? The latter would suggest that the ship had no warp drive.

Also, although I agree with the 2050s placement of the Eugenics Wars, they were definitely mentioned in "Doctor Bashir, I Presume", and possibly in three other TNG or DS9 eps as well. This is what I found in the scripts -- however, I don't have all the eps on tape, so I can only confirm the reference from "Doctor Bashir....":

"Doctor Bashir, I Presume":

I don't think so. Two hundred
years ago, we tried to "improve"
the species through DNA
resequencing and what did we get
for our trouble? The Eugenics
Wars. For every Julian Bashir
that can be created, there's a
Khan Singh waiting in the wings --
a "superhuman" whose ambition and
thirst for power have been
enhanced along with his intellect.
The law against genetic
engineering provides a firewall
against such men and it's my job
to keep that firewall intact.
(to Richard)
I've made my offer. Do you accept?

"Statistical Probabilities":

BASHIR
It happened before. People like
us did try to take over.

JACK
I knew it! I knew you were going
to trot out the Eugenics Wars.

"Up the Long Ladder":

RIKER
How could a spaceship leave Earth
without some kind of a record?

DATA
Perhaps it was deliberate. They
may have wished to escape
detection.

RIKER
You're suggesting they were
fugitives?

DATA
During the Eugenics Wars a group
of genetically superior humans
ruled the world. After their
defeat some did escape.

"A Matter of Time":

PICARD
(interrupting)
I know, Professor, "What if one
of those lives I save down there
is a child who grows up to be the
next Adolf Hitler or Khan Singh?"
(MORE)

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey ... where'd you get those? Is there a site that actually posts 'Star Trek' scripts? Cool!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Ronald Moore say that he made a mistake with that line about "200 years" and meant to write "300 years" but was thinking of Khan's famous line?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two rather poorly promoted CD-ROMS, called TNG Companion and DS9 Companion, that contain all the TNG and DS9 final draft scripts respectively, along with short summaries and episodic trailers. The TNG Companion also has the commentary entries from Larry Nemecek's TNG Companion book. Each Companion costs about $20 on Amazon, but they're not shipped outside the US.

I suppose Paramount at one point realized the sheer amount of intellectual property unleashed on these CD-ROMS, and decided to keep quiet...Seriously, if I hadn't heard about them from David Henderson and seen one at a Virgin store, I wouldn't have known they existed.

No doubt the best Trek buy. You get Klingon language translations, cut scenes, cut lines, spellings, you can search them and whatnot.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.