Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Mojo: ship sizes

Author Topic: Mojo: ship sizes
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be forever in your debt if you could answer these questions:

1) What numbers do you remember from the following list?
2) What numbers don't look familiar at all? How would you change them given what you knew two years ago at Foundation?

FEDERATION

Akira = 860' (262m)
Steamrunner = 800' (243m)
Sabre = 625' (190m)

DOMINION

Dominion Battlecruiser = 2500' (762m)
Dominion Attack Ship = 500' (152m)

CARDASSIAN

Galor = 1200' (366m)
Hideki = 500' (152m)

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you use to post here under a different name, Phelps? It's just that you very much remind me of someone.

As for the question - I probably shouldn't speak for Mojo but I don't believe he's responsible for the figures you've listed. Stipes was the one who originally posted them.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't be sure, but I suspect he might be going for a second confirmation of the numbers. To be sure the CGI guys really were actively using such figures, and Stipes didn't just make them up.

But I could be wrong.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right. I actually talked to Stipes about how he got most of his numbers -- some of them are from Gary Hutzel, some from Mike Okuda (such as the Miranda at 500-560'), some from an art department chart made for the visual effects department, while others are his own estimates. He seems to think the Akira should really be 500 feet long, while DS9 should be bigger than a mile -- all based on window sizes as far as I could gather. Of course, we know that window sizes are often exaggerated for visibility.

Normally, Foundation would have to use whatever numbers were established by the VFX supervisor. I'm just wondering if different supervisors used different numbers, or if Foundation determined some of them on its own. Obviously, Rick Sternbach's blueprints used to build meshes would provide some of them. However, most of these ships weren't designed by Sternbach.

Dax: I'm just one of the top two experts on the Defiant.

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea how big the ships are!

If I load up the model, it looks about 3 inches across....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose that answers the question, one way or the other... *L*
Boris
Member # 713

Thanks for the answer. But does anybody at Foundation know? Somebody must have animated the Akira sequence in "Message in the Bottle", or the Defiant's flyby in "Sacrifice of Angels."

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to stick one up you Mojo, but if you don't have an idea of relative starship sizes - this might explain the Utopia Planitia scene in the First 'Ships' calendar... Sabres, Intrepids and Mirandas were in spacedocks built for ships (and filling them up in the same proportions) like the Excelsior, the Akira and the Galaxy class starships! There was no size variation.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps