Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Chain-fire phasers. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Chain-fire phasers.
Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,CFP fire beam with duration of only about 0.02 seconds then cool down for 0.05 secs,and have burst fire time of 0.5-2 seconds and pause to recharge for 5-15 seconds.They can be fired from arrays.

I think it's good,since single beam have great pover in watts so it's easier for them to penetrate shields,and have very good track,making them effective against fighters.

Send your weapons ideas and opinions on this.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Nevod ]

--------------------
Fear is the ultimate enemy.And unreasoning is second that.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uummm... huh?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are saying chain-fire phasers would be better than the ordinary phasers, right?

First of all, what *is* a chain-fire phaser? Do you mean the pulse phasers from the Miranda and later the Defiant? Or do you mean that Akira special weapon from "Star Trek: Armada"?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, you're hadn't read my post!
Chain Phaser is beam phaser,but it fire very short-durated beams in burst pattern!(It's like to phasers as seen in TWOK)

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, they read your post. It's just difficult to understand. Please tell me that english isn't your first language.

BTW, don't take this as an insult, by any means. We've had some trouble with that before, and I don't want to drive a new member off just by explaining why no one understood him.

Except me. I know exactly what he means.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...I think I get it. You're saying that the short burst phasers that the Enterprise and the Reliant fired in TWOK are better than the steady beam phasers that the Ent D fires in TNG...right?

If they could be modulated to confuse shields I suppose there would be a certain advantage. On the other hand, steady beam phasers force the shields to expend continued energy to repulse the attack.

It works like this: which ever kind of phasers the story line calls for to work better are the ones that are better.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Nevod
Member # 738

Yes, english isn't my first.Anyways,I'm going to be reviewing my posts in future.

Phasers in TWOK is firing pulses from fixed spots.Chain phasers fire from arrays and generally produce same effect as Defiant's.

That's the question o you really think that they do more damage?

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Nevod ]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I don't know.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TNG Tech Manual mentions various tactics used with phasers and specifically says sometimes tactical officers find that firing short bursts instead of a continuous stream is more effective against certain shield types. Therefore, effectiveness of phaser fire is probably dependent on the specific shield technology. Also, this entry suggests that the TNG phasers can fire in short bursts as well as in the typical stream.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Ace ]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say Nevod, what *is* your first language, if you don't mind telling us?

I just get this image of an old-style gatling gun with a hand crank, manned by a space-suited person on the hull of a starship screaming "remember the Alamooooooo!"

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't think it really matters anyways. The Type-X, and probably all the phaser strips, can fire both sustained and short burst beams. The rate of fire isn't quite and high as the TWOK phasers, but you have more power and spectrums to work with. Plus the fact that a single array can emit several beams at once, you can time-on-target 2 or 3 beams to a single spot.

Speaking of which, besides the Type-X and Type-XII, what other types of the stripped phaser array are there? The Ambassadors but that predated GCS, and runabouts and Novas had them but they're too small to be Type-X.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: David Templar ]

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: David Templar ]

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still don't understand why the Ent-E has to have Type-XII. What was wrong with Type-X, and just how much better is XII over X? On the other hand, the Ent-D in Generations (with its refit) might have had Type-XII. Who knows...

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Ace ]

Nevod
Member # 738

My first is russian.It's quite different from english.

Actually,I meant very high refire rate.Like in TWOK.Using enchanced TNG arrays.

--------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Type-XII - Prometheus, Sovereign
Type-X - Akira, Galaxy, Nebula, Norway, Sabre, Steamrunner
Type-IX - Ambassador, Excelsior (Lakota),
Type-VIII - Cheyenne, Constellation, Excelsior, Freedom, Griffin, Intrepid, New Orleans, Niagara, Nova
Type-VII - Centaur, Constitution Refit, Federation, Miranda, Soyuz
Type-VI - Constitution
Type-V - None that I can find.
Type-IV - Danube, Oberth, shuttles

Those are the type of phasers and which ships have them, as for power - Type-X was capable of 5.1MW discharge, with the Type-IX capable of 4.8MW. I guess each type goes up 0.3MW so a Type-XII would be around 5.7MW and a Type-IV about 3.3MW. I could be way out here, by hey - do I care?

However . . . as Cheyenne-, Intrepid-, New Orleans-, Niagara-, and Nova-class ships are all new designs I'd think that they too hold Type-X phasers and not Type-VIII . . .

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
akb1979, where did you find that info? It's flawed right off the bat. The Lakota didn't have any phaser strips, nor did the Constellation, the standard Excelsior, and a whole bunch of other ships you listed.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps