Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Chain-fire phasers. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Chain-fire phasers.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Griffin? WTF is the Griffin? And the Federation isn't canon.
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't the Ent-B MSD show Type-VIII phasers? From that, I'd assume array or emitter types don't have anything to do with the "Type-n" designation. After all, the shuttles don't have strips, but they are listed with Type-IV phasers in the Tech. Manual.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's single emitters versus thousands of emitters formed into collimator rings (or strips). The Galaxy-class arrays are formed from thousands of slaved Type X emitter segments.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the uuper dorsal array is by far the largest on the GCS, and it 'only' sports two hundred segments for a measely combined output of 1.02GW. Plus the slightly shorter lower array, the normal nominal total forward phaser power is something like 2GW. Compared to the 20GW of a Romulan Warbird, that's really not much.

And the whole idea of having the saucer section run away while the stardrive goes off to fight really wouldn't work because of the amount of phaser firepower the escaping saucer section would strip away. The single forward strip in front of the battle bridge is ~70MW, tops.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duh! I NEVER said "phaser strips" I simply said phasers. The types listed are classed as "Type-IV Phasers", "Type VII Phasers", etc. I never said strips, or banks or pulse cannons or fart repellors!

Griffin and Federation? Got them from DITI - wasn't sure about their status, but put them in anyways.

"Phaser strips", can't you read???? Never said it, so don't accuse me of such! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Can you tell that he's hit a sore spot?

I simply listed phaser "TYPES", there is a difference!!!!

(Storms off as he stomps his feet, slams door and finds a place to sulk and blow off some steam).

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet that when they were first thought up for the Ent-D, phaser strip length had nothing to do with power. Why else would you put all those dinky, little ones on the secondary hull?
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because a short phaser strip is better than no phaser at all?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a few examples.

quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
Type-IX - Ambassador, Excelsior (Lakota),

Ambassador has phaser stripes, Lakota does not.

quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:

Type-VIII - Cheyenne, Constellation, Excelsior, Freedom, Griffin, Intrepid, New Orleans, Niagara, Nova

Intrepid and Nova has phaser strips, but they're not the same size. Excelsior and Constellation doesn't have phaser strips. You can't have the same type of phaser coming both in array and bank form.

Freedom and Griffin are part of the reason why people don't put much faith into DITI, that and possibly the TERAwatt range phaser outputs.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
Freedom and Griffin are part of the reason why people don't put much faith into DITI, that and possibly the TERAwatt range phaser outputs.

But, you can't blame a guy for trying . . . the megawatt range phaser outputs are a joke. My microwave uses more than that when I'm nuking a pizza. :-)

Guardian 2000

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
You can't have the same type of phaser coming both in array and bank form.

Um..yes you can.

Remember: a strip is simply a shitload of slaved emitter segments with software & a little hardware) to work in concert with each other in order to achieve maximum efficiency. It's analogous to the "Aegis" SPY-1D phased-array radar system. Put simply, SPY-1D has a giant block of lots of little radar transceivers that turn on & off very quickly at random rates & order. Alone, none of the segments are getign enough signal bounceback to really be effective; together, they form a powerful system.

Phaser strips variate from this in that each individual emitter segment COULD in theory handle the full feed. It just DOESN'T, or rather, doesn't until the energy's been collimated from all segments & shunted to the one that is best positioned for release at the target. That's why when the ship moves, the beam "walks" along the ship, & why we have shots like in "SoA" where we see a Galaxy firing twin beams from the same emitter array.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Phaser strips variate from this in that each individual emitter segment COULD in theory handle the full feed. It just DOESN'T, or rather, doesn't until the energy's been collimated from all segments & shunted to the one that is best positioned for release at the target. That's why when the ship moves, the beam "walks" along the ship, & why we have shots like in "SoA" where we see a Galaxy firing twin beams from the same emitter array.

Individual emitters can only pass along the energy, they are still limited to just how much they can dish out themselves. It's be pretty pointless to stick one emitter segment and expect it to do the work of the full array. It defeats much of the purpose of the array, if you can just have a series of small banks.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

That's what "in theory" means. If we stick 2 Type X emitters in a bank, it won't have the same punch as a collimated strip, yes. But the actual energy power is still the same. Dig?

--------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
That's what "in theory" means. If we stick 2 Type X emitters in a bank, it won't have the same punch as a collimated strip, yes. But the actual energy power is still the same. Dig?

Not really. The same potential to channel that much energy is there, but there's no way to generate that much phaser power with only two emitter segments. It'd be kinda like having a belt-fed bolt-action weapon. Who cares how many rounds it can hold? It can't use them effectively.

--------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Shik for coming to my defence. Much appreciated!

David: In ST:II TWOK, the Reliant fired "Chain-phasers" but in DS9: SOA they fired like a Galaxy's phasers. My thinking is that once the phaser arrays were invented/researched/whatever, then the technology could be easily addded to exisiting ships (with some modifications of course). And I agree with Shik that you can have both phasers and banks in Type-VII, VIII, IX and X. Oh and XII. There's nothing stopping you.

If you really want to get picky then we could say that the Mirandas and Excelsiors (and all other similar references) all have their banks replaced with a single segment of a phaser array. There, that makes sense - doesn't it?

Besides, the DS9: TM refers to phasers as emitters - they could be anything from 1 segment to 50 (OK, slightly over the top, but doe ya see my point?)

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Shik
Member # 343

You're both right. Read what I'm saying. Think about it.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps