Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Anyone seen the areoshuttle in Starship Spotter? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anyone seen the areoshuttle in Starship Spotter?
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...So thats what it looks like.

BTW
The Areoshuttle is the craft carried by Voyager[and other Intrepid class ships]on the underside of the saucer.

Anyway, when was that mesh made and for what episode? Though unfortunately it never made it onscreen.

As a side note,
I found the info about the Akira interesting.
Even though to my dismay, it states that the Akira does have 15 torpedo launchers and 40 fighters, the little hint at why the low registry was not expected and therefor good.

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, much ass is kicked by that Aeroshuttle.

It is not seen in any episode - it was constructed purely for the purposes of the Spotter book. Fan speculation generally concludes that the Aeroshuttle was never actually fitted to Voyager, or else they would have used it at some point. Instead, they could have had a non-flight test article docked in the compartment, waiting for the actual vehicle to arrive later.

Mark

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope they didn't recycle parts of her to make the curvy delta flyer.

It was such a cool runabout with wings.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that *would* explain why we never saw it - and how they built the Flyer so damn fast.

Mark

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got a pic?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo said in the latest Star Trek Magazine that they built the model a while ago based on a drawing by Rick Sternbach (I also remember Rick telling us about an aeroshuttle departure test sequence Foundation did). Unfortunately, the folks at Paramount didn't want to use it because "Insurrection" featured a Captain's Yacht-style vehicle also.
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The model was made for the episode 'Relativity', where it would have made a test launch in the Utopia Planitia scene at the beginning of the episode.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...that certainly would've made Relativity a cooler episode...

I think it was Rutger Warrink (sp?) who did a really rockin' conjectural drawing of the Aerowing based on the underside shape that we can see.

And I agree...anyone got a pic? I haven't been able to find the book yet.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is kind of difficult to scan, since the render is on two pages. I could try to scan it, but it could take a while (school, and lots of it).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the mean time, here's Cargile's aeroshuttle.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

...Which is pretty darned close to what the pic looks like. Which isn't that tough, considering it's a runnabout with wings.

On that note, you'd think that something that was a runabout with wings would have its own name and reg number, no?

Mark

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a different registry wouldn't look good on the saucer bottom. Besides, it's not *exactly* a runabout with wings -- it can't go faster than Warp 3 according to the Voyager Technical Guide 1.0 (writers' tech guide), while runabouts can do Warp 4.7 at least.

Since most of the equipment on the U.S.S. Voyager isn't Starfleet stock technology (new transporters, new tricorders, etc), maybe it was good that they didn't use the Aeroshuttle, which would've forced them to reuse the common runabout interior sets. Also, they had already been reused for Chakotay's raider, and you know how us viewers get confused about that.

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I scanned both of the pics.

Beware, since it is a twopager, the result isn�t all that good:

Aerowing

And the mesh:

Aerowing mesh

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys!

Ok, let's clear up the Aeroshuttle mystery!

Way back when, maybe in the 3rd season, we were all in an FX meeting and I was playing with the Voyager toy and wondered what that shape on the bottom of the hull was. FX Producer Dan Curry explained that it was a shuttle that had not been used yet. He wanted to pitch to Rick Berman to phase it into the show, so Rob and I offered to build a model and do a launch sequence (on our own time) that he could show to Berman and hopefully get approved.

Sternbach leant us his drawings and we made the model based on those. It actually *IS* more or less a Runabout with wings, since they wanted to be able to recycle the Runabout sets for the Aeroshuttle.

We did a REALLY COOL launch sequence which featured the ship dropping from under the hull, and even some views through the window of the cockpit as we watch the underside of Voyager's hull race past. The shuttle then heads for a planet and flies into an atmosphere.

I've shown the sequence at conventions, and if you can make it to one of my few appearences, you can see it too! The next one will be in Los Angeles in February at a con called GALLIFREY (I do a show there every year).

Anyway, Berman ultimately decided not to use the Areoshuttle since he wanted to save that sort of sequence for "Insurrection," which featured the captain's yacht.

However, I plan to have an Aeroshuttle launch sequence in my UNSEEN FRONTIER book, so you'll at least get a better look at it. I also did a few renders of this for the Star Trek magazine, which I imagine will run them at some point!

Mojo

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...my bad. It was Paul's drawing I was thinking of...sorry.

Mojo: Thanks for that great behind the scenes story. The launch sequence doesn' by any chance show what the shuttle looks like from inside the bay or how the crew get aboard before it launches, does it? I've always wondered about that. I guess I sort of picture some kind of umbilical since walking around on a floor that's about to drop out from underneath you doesn't seem particularly safe...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps