Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Post-view: Romulan ship database (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Post-view: Romulan ship database
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few comments on this latest addition to Ex Astris databases. There are fewer points of controversy there than in the other two new databases, but one can always find a nit to pick...

"Imperial Romulan Warbird" is spoken in "Face of the Enemy", but not really seen abbreviated. Perhaps it's actually abbreviated as "IRWB", to stay more consistent with "PWB"?

A "Romulan interceptor" is no match to Quark's Treasure in speed in "Little Green Men", but might still deserve a mention. So would the unseen Romulan "troop transport" the scientist in "Eye of the Needle" offers to summon.

Where does the name "Bird of Prey" come from for the "Balance of Terror" vessel type? It's not in the dialogue of that episode, but it might very well be in "The Deadly Years". If not, then it's simple fanfic and not canonical hard data.

Finally, a suggestion: could the images of starship exteriors and interiors from the Gallery be cross-linked to the Database entries, in addition to being available directly through the Gallery? A one-stop data dump on a given starship class, including full visual documentation, might be fun! Unless, of course, it means that the Database takes nineteen minutes to load.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, BoT mentions that Romulan ships from the Terro-Romulan War era had birds painted on them, too. Might want to mention that.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for the hell of it, I might add that Romulan "birds of prey" were called "warbirds" in novels and such for years. I'm pretty sure they were utterly unidentified.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the Tubular Romulan ship seen in the Chronology and Encycs.

What is the URL to the Romulan page?

Also - I heard like that tubular early Romulan ship and the Daedelus Class, that there was a similar early Klingon ship too!?! Never EVER seen it though.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the Tubular Romulan ship seen in the Chronology and Encycs.

What is the URL to the Romulan page?

Also - I heard like that tubular early Romulan ship and the Daedelus Class, that there was a similar early Klingon ship too!?! Never EVER seen it though.

--------------------

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of that tubular Romulan ship, does anyone have a scan of it?

--------------------
"The Internet. Is that thing still around?"
-Homer Simpson

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galen:
Speaking of that tubular Romulan ship, does anyone have a scan of it?

That reminds me...I spoke to Greg Jein some years ago about that Chronology Romulan ship model, and was disappointed to hear he had taken no pix of it before handing it over to Okuda and company. I would have liked to have seenthe details. He said he was going to try to get it back to take some pix...I think a phone call is in my near future...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Neutral Zone Database:

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I've never even heard of that, were pictures ever published? anyone have a scan?
It could be one of Kor's old D-5s

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of that. I don't think it's in the Encyclopedia or the Chronology, and, as far as I remember, we haven't seen Klingon spaceships from the distant past. Well, unless you count the Barge of the Dead...

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

This klingon ship is like the Tubular Romulan Ship and the Daedelus - not ever seen on screen... (I'm not counting the Daedelus on Sisko's desk.)

Andrew

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, but if the klingon ship exists then there should be a photo of it floating around somewhere.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Did Greg Jein build the Daedelus AND the TRS (Tubular Romulan Ship)? If so, maybe that rumour about the Klingon equivalent might be able to be checked with him. As mentioned earlier, maybe the models were taken from him before any pictures were able to be made of them?

Andrew

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
From the Neutral Zone Database:

That elevation drawing of the Romulan "Tube ship" appears to be more wrong than right. The "wings" are completely wrong in both shape and size, the nacelles are too long, the front end is wrong.

I bent and skewed the scanned photo around and was able to extract what I think is a elevation of the ship that is much closer to reality, but I can't figure out how to upload it. Help!

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: mrneutron ]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Did Greg Jein build the Daedelus AND the TRS (Tubular Romulan Ship)? If so, maybe that rumour about the Klingon equivalent might be able to be checked with him. As mentioned earlier, maybe the models were taken from him before any pictures were able to be made of them?

I take it this would be the same bloke who also did the S.S. Valient and a DY-500 model, I say this because they all seamed to be in the 1st edition chronology.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps