Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Post-view: Romulan ship database (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Post-view: Romulan ship database
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, that is ironic. Now you can put it under its proper name!
The long-lost DY-750 comes home!

What? hell no! the only cannon designs you see there are the 100 & 500 and the so called 750 does not look like it comes after the 500. I think 245 suits it fine.

Exactly where in ther series was the 750 mentioned to warrent an entry in the chronolgy anyway? because if it is a cannon designation then I'll gladly come up with a new, consistant design for it.

quote:
Reverend!?! You did that!?! It's really nice! What program do you use to do stuff like that!?!

I always use PSP, the crappy old blue thing was a copy/paste & retouch of the fact files's DY-100.
All the other stuff was done in vector from scratch.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend: I completely agree with you. The "DY-750" model does NOT look like it came after the DY-500. And, to my knowledge, there was never any spoken reference to a DY-750 class ship. DY-245 suits me fine.

Greg Jein built this model and others for the 1st edition of the Chronology, but like Cochrane's warpship, they can be overturned at any time when a true canon version is seen. If I were Greg Jein, I would be wondering why I even bothered with all that work, since it can be invalidated at any time TPTB want to change it.

Actually now that I think about it, I'd probably feel the same way if I were Michael Okuda.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why keep doing it? Because 90% of what Mike Okuda determines actually makes it onscreen. The other reason for inconsistencies between Okuda's books and onscreen is that Okuda himself often forgets what he's established, and gives varying answers to the writers. That's not to say he isn't ignored sometimes as you suggest.

There never was a need to use the old Romulan model -- besides, not all models are built for motion-control photography. They wanted to use his Phoenix model, but it wasn't narrow enough to fit inside a Titan missile.

Then again, some things are just made for fun. Greg Jein also built a full model of Rick Sternbach's pointy Voyager design, the version before Jeri Taylor asked him to make it curvier. He's a fan like us, what can you do

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Jein made the pre-Voyager model "for fun." IIRC, it was the study model for the approved final version of Voyager, right up until the last minute when TPTB changed their minds and designed the version we see in the show.

Actually, I like the pre-Voyager design much better than the final version. The only thing I didn't care for was the Danube nacelle pylons.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other answer is, "He put all that work into it because people were paying him to."

They wanted to do a book. They wanted pics of some unseen ships. They paid him to make them.

As far as the proto-Voyager model...I had read somewhere that it was a study model as well. Blueprints of it even appeared in TV guide some time before the premiere of the show.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, that's another good answer.

The pointy Voyager was supposed to be the final version of the ship. However, Jeri Taylor intervened and asked him to make it curvier, more like a Lexus. There are two models of the pointy Voyager -- the 48" long, 1:240 scale version Sternbach himself built (seen in The Art of Star Trek), and another, better model Greg Jein built in his spare time. Rick told us about the latter on startrek.expertforum.ricksternbach.

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So tell me Aban Rune, do you have scans of the blueprints of the proto-voyager in TV-guide?

Does anybody?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there were huge pics in The Art of Star Trek.. a lot easier than trying to magnify a TVG image i think.. doesnt someone here have them on their site?

I have a copy of it on my other computer.. i even used photoshop to light it up.. it appears in the banner for my site

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
originally posted by Phelps:
There are two models of the pointy Voyager -- the 48" long, 1:240 scale version Sternbach himself built (seen in The Art of Star Trek), and another, better model Greg Jein built in his spare time. Rick told us about the latter on startrek.expertforum.ricksternbach.

The 48" model was the one I was referring to. Sorry about the confusion there...I thought you meant that that was the Greg Jein model.

I never knew Jein made a better model of the pre-Voyager. Very interesting. Did he change certain details from Sternbach's study model, like the pylons? Was the model filmable? If it was, it's too bad that it never appeared as a guest starship, like what happened similarly with the Pasteur.

I'm probably reaching here, but I don't suppose Jein took any photos, or if he still has the model?

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*files "Fate of the Jein pointy-nosed Voyager" in the big folder filled with cards titled "Legato's early Wolf 359 footage" and "Early too TOSish-looking NX-01 concept"*

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Don't forget "the Deneva-class starship from TNG Legacy."

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought that was the Merchantman...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Mike: Well, I have the images on my site, scanned from the book. But they are modelshots, I thought the tvguide pics were blueprints?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The blueprints are in one of the coffee table art books too i though.. one that had a chapter about Voyager, but no actual photos, save Sternbach's sketches because it was that early in the design process.. im not sure which one it was.. 'Continuing Mission' maybe?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps