next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Thoughts on this

Author Topic: Thoughts on this
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hopes no one will recognize this*

I've got an interesting story. In the "Captain's Logs" book(the one from 1993), on page 250, there is a picture of the cover of the April 1993 issue of "Cinefantastique" magazine. On that cover, there is an Oberth-class ship flying, with the registry NCC-19002. That is the Yosemite's registry, I believe. Since this issue was published when DS9 premiered, this is probably supposed to be the USS Cochrane, although I don't know why they put it on the cover. Any thoughts? (Sorry, no pictures, I don't have a scanner or anything)

--------------------
Meh

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the model used for the Cochrane did have a five-digit registry number, even if later reference works try to claim otherwise. Probably the ship still bore the labeling of the Yosemite at that time, and the Cinefantastique artist had witnessed the filming of the said model. He probably mistook it for a series-regular starship, perhaps thinking it would be the new runabout.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, DS9 was originally going to make regular use of the Oberth model until it was decided to create a new ship...the Danube Class. So I think Timo's thought is probably correct.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Veers
You first
Member # 661

They were? I never knew the Oberth was to be a regular.
This is better than the answers I got before, when I originally posted this (heh, this is a revised edition of my first post).

--------------------
Meh

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you have a friend with a scanner?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, or just copy the damned thing in a colour-copyingmachine and send it via snailmail to someone who has a scanner, me fo instance

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Arrgh! The link does not work. (I'm making use of this double post here, see other one below). I guess you'll just have to type it in yourself on Amazon to see the cover. It's Volume 23, #6 of Cinefantastique.

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I've got the picture from Amazon.com! You can't see the "NCC-19002" in this pic, only in the Captain's Log pic, but you can see the Oberth.

Here it is:

Cover

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Veers ]

[link fixed -TSN]

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

--------------------
Meh

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have that issue at the moment, but I seem to remember there's a photo inside of the effects crew holding the Oberth model. The cover painting of the ship was based on that photo.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no not the Oberth, but the Sydney class - turned up-side-down was going to be the new run-abouts... but they decided to create a brand new ship.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the same picture that Masao's talking about and I'm pretty sure that the caption underneath says they were going to use the Oberth...

This was evidently painted rather early in the production of the show seeing as the station isn't even being shown...the artist probably had no pictures of it to use. This could mean that it was early enough that the station model hadn't been built yet.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Thanks, TSN.

--------------------
Meh

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... *I* Distinctly remember them saying somewhere they were going to use the Sydney - but upside down! (Which would make more sense - an obscure ship from a season 5 TNG episode or an established Starship from 1984 and seen again in 1986, 1987 and 1988...

Maybe the people visited the set when they were filming the scenes either for Wolf 359 or the arrival of the ship that Julian and Jadzia arrived on?

Julian, Jadzia, Jake, Jennifer,
Odo, O'Brien, SiskO, rOm, nOg, Opaka, wOrf, mOrn,
Kira, QuarK, GaraK, DuKat, Kassidy, IshKa, Keiko
Eddington, Ezri, Elim, Enabrin,

hmm anyone notice the prevalence J, K, E and O in names on Deep Space Nine!?!

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're stretching it a bit.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Snay... what - rearranged - do the letters O, K, J and E spell!?!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps