Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What does SS say about Miranda? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What does SS say about Miranda?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Specifically, about Miranda weapons.

The DS9TM says it's got two torp-tubes, but there's more on the model. It has at least four. What does the Starship Spotter say?

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't have the book at home (I can answer your question in about 10 hours), but weapon counts in the SS aren't very reliable. I found ca. 6 instances where SS has wrong numbers.

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From SS:

Weapons:
6 Type VII-12 Twin Mount Phaser Emplacements (6 Banks/2 Each) *wrong as there's one more bank underneath the Impulse Engines*
2 Multi-Directional Pulsephaser Pulse Cannons *wrong as the cannons also face aft, so there are two more*
4 Mk 22 Mod 1 Direct-Fire Photon Torpedo Tubes *correct, for once*

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that's covered in the "multidirectional" bit.

My question is, is this supposed to be the original factory specs or what Mirandas look like now? We haven't seen those weapons being fired since The Wrath of Khan, but since the features are still there (at least on those Mirandas which have a rollbar) they presumably serve some function. Can a Miranda really serve as a low-rent Defiant these days?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't we see a rear-firing torpedo in TWOK? Where's THAT tube?

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...on the rollbar in the big torpedo launcher unit?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

So then there's four tubes in the pod? Or are they just two tubes capable of firing both fwd and aft?

-MMoM

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's the idea. Given the relative size of the Connie's forward launchers, it's generally assumed by many that the Mirandas have four separate launchers and their associated subsystems in that pod.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Then what about the two tubes on the underside?

See this pic:

That's an emplacement nearly identical to the refit-Connie's. That's two MORE tubes. So if there's four in the pod, then the ship actaully has SIX tubes.

-MMoM

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's most certainly not a torpedo system, MMoM. I believe that's the Miranda main navigational deflector and sensor array. It would serve the same purpose on the refit Connies when it saucer separates.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Are you looking at the same thing I'm looking at, Dax?

That thing on the bottom? Glowing red? Exactly like the connecting dorsal torp tubes on the Connie?

Last time I checked, that is *not* what a nav-deflector or a sensor pallate looks like.

The Miranda has its nav-deflector emitters on the top of the saucer towards the rear, right? (Cirled in yellow.) That embankment on the ventral side is a pair of torp tubes. (Circled in red.)

-MMoM

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know the Miranda-Class was hosted by Angel Fire. Most enlightening.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, everything has corporate sponsers now... including starships.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm looking at the same thing you are, MMoM. I just don't agree with you on what it is.

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: Dax ]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, 'cuz if the red things at the bottom of the saucer are torpedo launchers, doesn't that mean there's one on the bridge, too?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.