Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What does SS say about Miranda? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What does SS say about Miranda?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Fact Files it's a sensor array. Constitution refit has the same dome.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The devices on the bottom of the Miranda and Constitution class are part of the sensor system I believe. Almost all movie-era ships have them. The Connies and Mirandas have a 4-point one, with the forward one being slightly longer then the rest, and the dome in the middle. The Excelsiors have them as well, except theirs are 6-point.

That is most definatly not a torpedo system. The red lights appear on the rest of the points of the lower sensor dome as well. They are exactly that...LIGHTS.

Also, if I remember correctly, the rear facing torpedo launchers in the pod are spaced out wider then the ones in front, which means that you could concievably place 4 tubes in there side by side.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One could actually defend the DS9 TM specs here.

Six twin phaser emitters is more or less right - the two single emitters under the impulse engine are not present in the CGI models, nor in any of the commercially available kits. Nor in any pictures of the original studio model, for that matter, save for that single underbelly shot.

Two torpedo launchers is also right, since the DS9 CGI Mirandas did not have aft tubes. Instead, they had impulse engine glow emanating from where the aft tubes used to be.

And the things MMoMIM (special edition, director's cut) seems to take for torpedo launchers are identical to the Constitution saucer ventral structures, as far as I can tell. It's just that the lights within may be a bit different in the two models - two distinct spotlights for the Reliant, one more diffuse floodlight for the Enterprise.

Certainly these structures would have to fire really tiny torpedoes if they were to be launchers... But we don't really know what the structures are. In "Emissary", phaser fire sprouts from them. In other cases, yellowish light glows there. Yet the structure seems a bit too big for a simple floodlight, and isn't shaped like any other known phaser emitter.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You beat me to the bit about the phaser in Emissary, Timo! ;o) Just wanted to add... Don't believe everything the Fact Files say... they are very simplistic. "This is a window, you can see space from inside the ship through these".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the Miranda looks so sweet.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps