Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » S.S. Urusei Yatsura (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: S.S. Urusei Yatsura
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spaceship S.S. Urusei Yatsura , DY-430 Class, is named after a Japanese Anime show.

Show's premise

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ, Colin, I REALLY wish you'd posted this yesterday. I was up all night wondering and worrying about just this subject.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it this is the name of a ship that turned up in an episode of Enterprise that hasn't aired here yet...

Anyway, why is it that the women in Japanese animation always seem to look more Caucassian than Oriental?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eyes. They take after the Caucasians in comix American GIs station in Japan after WW2 passed out to kids. Other than "Akira" & maybe 1 or 2 others, round eyes have become a staple in anime & manga. It's also a symbol of Japanese cultural mentality, just like the variant hair colors of the characters.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The S.S. Urusei Yatsura is one of the "Up the Long Ladder" ships.

On that same note, Velikan means giant or ogre in Slovenian.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many anime references in TNG. Akira being the most obvious. The SS Tombiki is another anime reference i belive.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, one of Takahashi Rumiko's works.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kei and Yuri also get a fair few mentions (from Dirty Pair).

The Shuttle Craft Hawking is named after Steven Hawking! He's a clever chap in a wheelchair!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ew, I'd hope they wouldn't name ships after a series like Dirty Pair.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SS Tomobiki RT-2203
Launched in 2119 under the command of Peter Lauritson on a deep space exploration mission in the Ficus sector.
Listed on a LCARS in-joke.
"Up the Long Ladder" - TNG.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually - even though those ships are in-joke names, what is wrong with them being legit. ships - I could imagine some shipyard company full of Engineers who are all probably obsessed with Japanese Anime! It'd be like Trek Fans writing in and naming the First space shuttle Enterprise... or look at the JPL space probes... Deep Space 1, 2, 3 etc.

Put yourself in the time period, sending ships of into space, you'd probably (if you're around name some of your ships the James T. Kirk or the Uhura or the Picard!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt the Starfleet big-wigs would let them. Not to mention that knowledge of "ancient" Earth TV shows and movies seems to be a very limited commodity in the future.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But of course, these aren't starfleet ships. Independent, commercial and civil ships often have offbeat, and even bizarre names even in this day and age.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was talking about examples like the Akira...
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where does that name come from, anyway? Did Otomo just pick the name out of thin air, is it a noun of some sort, or was it an established Japanese proper name? If the latter, how was it established? Any historic figures, sites or events of that name?

The name might have "credibility" beyond the comic-book connection, allowing it to be used by a solemn and officious organization like Starfleet. Much like USS Livingston probably isn't named after a fish or a 20th century TV non-celebrity.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps