Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Stuff we don't agree on (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stuff we don't agree on
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about whether the Mirandas and the Oberths seen in TSFS were refits of earlier ships - ie TOS versions a la the Constitution class

also when the Romulans got warp

------------------
The house is falling down, 'cause of my loose tounge.

[This message was edited by AndrewR on April 26, 1999.]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actually planning to put up a page similar to what Frank suggested, presenting all imfamous problems like the Defiant size. I think Frank will be faster, though. The page setup could look like this:
- Problem: The starship **** [image link] is supposed to be ****, however, this is in contradiction to ****.
- Evidence: [heavy quoting, images]
- Solution #1: [description]. This is supported by the individuals a [external link], b, and c.
- Solution #2: ... supported by d and e.
- Personal solution: ...

There could be several links to my own pages as well as to other websites with different arguments, after all we're not working against each other.

Frank and The_Tom have already given a number of good suggestions. Maybe we should open some threads each of which discusses exactly one of the problems or all of them in a questionnaire. We should try not to throw in anything else this time, so it can serve as a basis for Frank's (or another individual's) web page.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in many cases, we don't necessarily want a solution, just an explanation of the problem. It really depends on the issue, though.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Ultra Magnus: "I know you're bored, Rodimus, but with the mantle of leadership comes obligations."
Rodimus Prime: "I don't suppose I could interest you in a used mantle?"

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the Defiant thing really depends on whether we put the show or the intentions of the producers on the first place of ranking.

Boris

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly - that's what needs to be explained.

------------------
Ultra Magnus: "I know you're bored, Rodimus, but with the mantle of leadership comes obligations."
Rodimus Prime: "I don't suppose I could interest you in a used mantle?"

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theory...

Reason for the lack of an Enterprise Class is because we have already had one...

Excelsior variant II
Runs for cover with his brain bucket on....
Remember theory

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to this page, and the opportunity to hack it apart *L*.

Seriously though, while we may disagree with Frank his work tends to be very thorough and well thought out.

------------------
'Sir, you've been ordered not to take Polermo'

'Ring General HQ, ask them if they want me to give it back'.

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about is the USS Nash registry a valid registry? I seem to recall that debate just not to long ago.

(I may be repeating some)

Do all class ships still have NX registries?

Conflicting on screen references? (I know there is a reference from Second Chances but I don't have my notes here).

Does use of FASA material or Franz Joseph material or Shane Johnson material validate the information that was used onscreen, or listed elsewhere in the book?

Do refrences to Animated Series validate information from that source?

I'll post more when I bring my ship list tommorrow to look over while posting.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just off the top of my head: Theories behind how Starfleet assigns registries, in particular why the Prometheus has such a low one. Another would be to compile a list of ships that have more than one registry like the Ahwahnee.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Speaking of registries, we should also talk about the low-registry ships like the Akira that still appear to be new. (After all, the Phoenix, NCC-65420, was definitively commissioned right before the Enterprise...

------------------
Rodimus Prime: "No more jokes, Springer. Cybertron's in deadly danger. We're heading back there. Now."
Springer: "Yes sir, Mister Leader, sir."

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . and don't forget the meanings of USS, NCC, NAR etc. . .
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be one doozie!

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My theory on Assigned registry numbers

0-29999
These were assigned linearly ( when they were commissioned they were given one)

30000-79999
They were assigned by Construction Contract and place of construction.

ie USS Yamato NCC 71807
7 Denotes it was constructed at Utopia Planita
rest of the numbers indicate the construction contract at the place

------------------
"Execute"
Captain Styles
USS Excelsior (ST III)
Hey I'm sick of "Engage"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather impossible, actually. Examples to contradict:
USS Defiant NX-74205, built at Antares
USS Voyager NCC-74656, built at Earth Station McKinley
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E, built at San Francisco

The same would probably go for all the other ships from 3xxxx and up, for all ships for that matter

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

[This message was edited by The359 on April 27, 1999.]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most of you know what I think by now... :-)

------------------
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
-George Orwell's Animal Farm

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps