Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Stuff we don't agree on (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stuff we don't agree on
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no question in my opinion on the exact number of the Shenandoah-73024. The Rio Grande and the Gander both had the registry 73024.
Registry numbers on hull of Danube Class Runabout-
1993 to 1998 (this includes the ship in "Timescape")
1998 to present

[This message was edited by Trinculo on April 27, 1999.]

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon the registries are LINEAR.
as for annoying things like Akira and Prometheus low registries - but looking as new in design as the Sovereign class, basically it was given this registry when it began construction - and its has just taken a bloody long time for it to be commissioned - maybe cause of a tech problem along the way, making them abandon its production - or it just took longer to build. With the Akira's etc - they were just recently finished so - even though they were started being built a while ago - they have been given the latest design - i.e. escape pods etc.

------------------
The house is falling down, 'cause of my loose tounge.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seem to be two different types of problems, when I try to analyse them:

1) General
What books are canon? What about mis-spelling or mispronouncing? Are registries strictly chronological? Designer's intention vs. VFX size. Are all labeled models canon, although they could not be identified on screen?

2) Specific
Apollo design, Defiant size, BoP size(s), and many more...

This would make two pages, and the general page could anticipate many aspects of the specific page, so there would be no redundancy.

Another possible arrangement could be one page for ship specs and lengths and one for ship names and numbers.

Yet another possibility is to list the ship by names, irrespective of the obvious redunancies. This would be some kind of "Inconsistency Encyclopedia".

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) To address the question of which books are canon: this really is a question for the writers of the show, and from what we can read in Ron Moore's AOL postings, the answer is something to the effect of "read the line in the books about not straitjacketing the writers".

Still, the books are influential in the sense that they are a) fairly accessible and b) written by the folks who answer their questions. Thus the answer that seems to work best is, use them to flesh out the onscreen info but don't treat the stuff as gospel.

Boris

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear: I call the refit Excelior Enterprise (II) becauseI refer to the refit Constittuion as Enterprise. It works out.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Trinculo
Ex-Member

1. USS Lexington NCC-14427
Though I believe that there is no Excelsior Class Starship in operation in 2370, I do believe that there may have been an Excelsior Class starship with this registry in the early 24th century. And that is why I include this ship in my list.
2. USS Constitution NCC-1700
The Constitution Class starship could be similar to the Ohio (Trident) Class submarine in operation in the US Navy. Both the Ohio and the Trident are variants of a basic design. I know from watching the episodes that there are at least two variants of the Constitution Class-USS Enterprise type and USS Constellation type. The USS Constellation's impulse drive is of a different configuration-the "black" areas that are visible on the USS Enterprise's impulse drive are missing.
3. USS Excelsior NCC-2000
The only mention of the USS Excelsior in the DS9 series has been by "Excelsior Class starship" in the episode "Paradise Lost". Since the VFX people don't always rename ships, the scenes of the Excelsior Class starship in the TNG series to the middle of the sixth year (use of the USS Melbourne)has been a reuse of the USS Excelsior NX-2000 (NCC-2000) without a registry change. A few episodes show the underside briefly-the registry is that of the USS Excelsior (Encounter at Farpoint; The Offspring; The Drumhead). In the last two episodes mentioned, could this be a canonical sighting of the USS Excelsior or something else?
4. USS Yeager (Yeager Class)
The Yeager Class appeared in 2374, some two months after the Battle of the Earth in 2373. It is possible that a "mashed" (my description for kitbashed ships) ship was named USS Yeager.
5. Apollo Class
Facts-T'Pau is used by Vulcan civilians in the equivalent of the Vulcan Merchant Marines, is retired on SD 41344.20, and its registry is NSP-17938. All information comes from the okudagram in "Unification, Part 1". There is no mention of class.
6. USS Yamato
How could Commander Riker read the registry of the USS Yamato in "Where Silence Has Lease"? The dorsal of the saucer is not visible. By the way, I do not accept the registry NCC-1305-E.
7. New Orleans Class/City of New Orleans Class
I have seen an Okudagram from the fourth year. The class of the USS Thomas Paine is identified as New Orleans Class.
8. USS Melbourne NCC-62043
I find no argument with the registry of this ship. There is a lack of information regarding registries. Further, the former USS Melbourne in the BOBW 2 I accept as an unidentified Nebula Class starship.
9. USS Curry/USS Shelly
I do believe this ship is an established class of starship. In my opinion, she and her sister ships were first employed in the late twenty-third century. I like the design.
10. USS Shenandoah NCC-73024
See my earlier comments.
11. USS Raman NCC-29487
This is the registry I accept. It is on an okudagram in the episode. Episode evidence rules out official evidence.
12. USS Gander
I accept this spelling.
13, USS Brattain NCC-21166
I accept this spelling. Brattain is named after an American scientist-Walter Houser Brattain, b. 1902, Amer. physicist (Nobel, 1956). This follows the spelling of other known Federation starships.
14. USS Jenolan NCC-2010
I accept this spelling.
15. USS Bozeman NCC-1941
I do believe this ship is operational in 2373.
16. USS Carolina NCC-160
There are two debates about this ship-the registry and the class? I accept the registry NCC-160 as opposed to NCC-235 for no particular reason. As for class, I follow the same procedure as I do for the USS Lexington NCC-14427. This ship may have been a Daedalus Class in the late twenty-first century, then a different class in the next century.
17. USS Mayflower
There are two possible explanations-the name of a ship or the name of a company. The crate label could be the insignia of a ship (like the US Navy ships). However, I have never seen since the original, ships of Starfleet having personnal insignias.
18. USS Discovery
This ship I believe doesn't exist.
19. USS Trial
Outside of the Official Star Trek Web site, there is mention of this ship. I therefore ignore this ship until canonical evidence supports the existence of such ship.
20. Studio models (Leeds/Trinculo/Valiant/Valkyrie)
I view these models as I do the models for Star Wars that are at exhibits. These models are in the episodes or films and played a small part.
21. Adm. Hanson's flagship
There is no evidence to the Excelsior Class ship seen in BOBW 1 being the flagship in the Battle of Wolf 359. The ship could have ferried the Adm. to a meeting with the USS Enterprise D.
22. Age of the Miranda/Age of the Oberth
Based on the evidence in the episodes and films, I offer this rough estimate-
2225 Constitution Class (The Making of Star Trek)
2230's Soyuz Class (give a life span of 50 years)
2240's/2250's Miranda Class
2260's Oberth Class
23. B'Rel/K'Vort
The US Coast Guard uses ships that are of a basic design. One such ship class I know has the ship sizes being 75-100-150 feet long. So the possibility exists that the Bird of Prey is the same.
24. USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A
There is no canonical history of the ship building of the Constituion Class. I personally believe the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A could be a new ship and that she isn't a renamed ship. Again, I know of a few instances where a new ship is retired in the US Navy after a short period of operation-the USS Virginia-for various reasons.
25. USS Intrepid ("Force of Nature")
I believe this ship to be the class ship of the USS Intrepid. For the USS Voyager to be launchded, the USS Intrepid had to prove to be a success after at least 6 months of trials. Based on my personal beliefs, I place the launch of the Intrepid in 2369.
26. Peregrine
I have no opinion on these ships.

My view on registries-I base my registries on the preponderance of the evidence. For instance, the registry of the USS Zhukov.
NCC-26136: Evidence, Encyclopedias 1 and 2
NCC-62136: Evidence: okudagram from the fourth year, the studio model, Encyclopedias 1 and 2
My choice: NCC-62136

Gentlemen and Gentlewomen, you have missed a very important mention in the DS9 series about starships. See my newest thread-this mention deserves its own thread.

[This message was edited by Trinculo on May 03, 1999.]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You miss the poiint of this thread. It's stuff we don't agree on, remember? We're not going to just accept what you say. . . I hope that Frank's page will present all the conflicting evidence for each problem, and leave the ultimate conclusion to the reader.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's always nice to hear these opinions, so we know what to write about. Lee is correct, though; the page will present all sides of each argument, but no definite resolution (unless there are several specific ones).

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Walter Barnett: "D-Did that thing just shatter an overpass into dust?"
Donny Finkleberg: "No, I...I think it was an entrance ramp."

Trinculo
Ex-Member

I present my opinions so as to avoid the hassle of e-mailing everyone who is thinking or or in the writing stage of such a page. I never said that my opinions are the definitive word. Do I have to preface every comment I make with "IMHO"? Others don't and I won't.
Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trinculo item #21: According to the BoBW Scripts the listing for Admiral Hansen talking to the Enterprise had him on a Galaxy Class Bridge Set. More fuel for the fire.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the scripts are wrong. It wasn't a GCS bridge. It looked like the Movie bridge that's been redressed at various times. Plus, remember, the Admiral started out on an Excelsior. . .
Trinculo
Ex-Member

Then the Admiral went to a starbase to discuss strategy. The scripts said a Galaxy Class bridge-they didn't specifiy which bridge. The bridge in the episode could have been the battle bridge of a Galaxy Class starship.
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Galaxy style bridge almost certainly dates from a similar period in the story's development as the Melbourne being a Nebula. After all a Nebula would be expected to have a Galaxy style bridge (later proved wrong). Of course, the Odyssey didn't have a Galaxy style bridge and that was a Galaxy class!

I really don't think we can make very much of it.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

The First One
Member # 35

Ultimately it comes down to this: if there was a GCS at Wolf 359, then it was destroyed, unless the Ahwahnee WASN'T the 'surviving' ship. . . and if a GCS was destroyed, then either the long-accepted claim that only 12 hulls were built is wron, or there weren't 9 of them visible in "Sacrifice of Angels" - I know people's estimates of how many they say varied between 8 and 10. . . but if there WERE 9 there, then that means - oh, heck, I'm going round in circles. . . 8)
Trinculo
Ex-Member

The canonical evidence has never stated the number of Galaxy Class starships built. BTW, there were I believe 12 Galaxy Class in the episode "Sacrifice of Angels". My reasoning-Capt Sisko speaks of command divisions divided by Galaxies. There were at least 12. The only inference I can draw-the fleet was divided into smaller units with the flagship of each being a Galaxy Class starship.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps