Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » If you could get Paramount to CGI a model... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: If you could get Paramount to CGI a model...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Which would it be?

That is to say, if Paramount suddenly needed a Trek model to be made into a CGI model for an episode of Trek, and would be willing to pay someone to make a CGI model of a Trek ship previously not done as one (but seen on screen as a physical model), what ship would you want done?

I'm putting my vote down for the good ole' Ambassador class - I miss the old girl. Right after it comes the New Orleans, of course.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the Daedalus class count? We saw a model of it, at least. Otherwise, I'd like to see the Cheyenne class make an appearance.

Regards
Jb

IP: Logged
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would like them to put a design for an unseen class, say, the Bradbury or Chimera, but if not, then I would go with New Orleans.
Think about it...one of them flying in formation with the Defiant and other New Orleans-class ships. Ooooooo.....

--------------------
Meh

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
definitely the ambassador class. it would be a delight to see the ambassadors in action again.

--jacob

IP: Logged
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd vote for the Proto-Nebula in Sisko's ready room.
Runners up: Ambassador, Cheyenne

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Centaur.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too would like to see the Centaur again. That or the Olympic Class from AGT. For some reason, I really dug that little ship...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd first like to see the New Orleans. Can you imagine a big fleet composed of Galaxies, Nebulas, and NO's? [Big Grin]

Next up would be the Cheyenne. The Ambassador would be nice, too.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm . . . gives this some thought.

Basically all the classes that they never showed and the one's that I like and that they didn't show enough of! I mean, if they had the models for pictures in the Encyclopedia, then surely they had the models and could use them once in a while instead of being tight-fisted gits with their cash!

Ambassador - didn't see enough of this class if you ask me. One cool ship!
Andromeda
Antares
Apollo - or have we seen one of these?
Bradbury
Challenger
Cheyenne
Chimera
Constellation - didn't see enough of this class if you ask me.
Deneva
Freedom
Hokule'a
Istanbul
Korolev
Mediterrainean
Merced
New Orleans - a baby Galaxy/Nebula! Yeah! Funny looking, but kewl at the same time - deadly too! [Wink]
Niagara - OK, I know that we saw a wreck of one of these at Wolf 359, but I want to see a whole one flying.
Renaissance
Sequoia
Springfield
Wambundu
Zodiac

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I'd first like to see the New Orleans. Can you imagine a big fleet composed of Galaxies, Nebulas, and NO's? [Big Grin]

Galaxy's, Nebula's and New Orlean's together? A fleet? Excuse me while I clean up my drool! [Big Grin]

And to make most people happy . . . no smilies at the end!

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I've built CGI models of most of the classes mentioned here, particularly the obscure ones, based on the schematics and model photos. And yes, it shouldn't be too hard, or overwhelmingly expensive for them to do this. But all we ever got to see was (mostly) CGI Excelsiors, Akiras, Galaxys, Mirandas and Defiants. A shame.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong all you 3d buffs, (cough MOJO! cough) but if they have the Excelsior and Miranda CGIed, would it not be a relatively simple proceedure to make CGI versions of the Centaur and the Shelley? All they are is rearranged parts from those two models with specialty nacelles.

Right?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only the Centaur would require new nacelles. The Shelley has plain old Miranda ones (though upscaled to about twice their usual size).

And, in case you didn't know, AKB, the reason we didn't see enough of the Ambassador is because someone dropped it and it broke.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right Aban, I built a Shelley (Curry) from my Miranda/Excelsior meshes in like half an hour, the Centaur though is quite different, even the saucer, I should imagine, would have to be modelled from scratch - I would anyway.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does not the Centaur use simple Excelsior nacelles, turned all funky?

While I'm at it, I'll add the E-B Excelsior to my CGI list. Technically it's already been done (for "Generations") but has not been seen since. I wanna.

Mark

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got an Enterprise-C model (Amabassador, right?) and I plan to have a New Orleans made for the book.

More models weren't made for the show since it's not worth the expense to Paramount unless the model is going to be featured.

And even many of the ones that WERE built aren't very good... the Miranda and Excelsior spring to mind. They are going to be rebuilt for the book. The Defiant has already been redone and now, in my opinion, looks better than the studio model!

To answer the other question, yes, if a class has already been built, turning it into variations is a much easier (though not lickety-split) process. The new Miranda class will be made from the basic parts in the Enterprise-A we did for ST:TMP DVD, and several TOS ships have already been hacked together from our Enterprise.

Mojo

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps