Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Titan - possible minor $$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Titan - possible minor $$$
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

Now we know that in Star Trek Nemesis, Riker will get a new command, the U.S.S. Titan.

Does anyone know to what class that ship will belong? Sovereign, Galaxy,...? Is there any confirmed info on the subject?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's been said this ship will be of a new design...

--------------------
Meh

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very likely that this will be a new ship design. These people have a movie budget to work with, and they want to give the hero a cool ship. There is no special coolness value in any existing design, really - unless the Titan is to be another Sovereign. And I don't think TPTB want to show two ships of the same class when they have a chance to do two different ships.

What I suspect will happen is that a ship will be designed that comes from the "Sovereign family" and is almost as big and impressive, but is clearly and immediately distinguishable from the E-E. Much like the Reliant was distinguishable from the E-nil in the second movie... Making the Titan radically different from the E-E would be a bad move, since the audience would go "Huh? The one is a Starfleet starship, but what is this other thing?" or at least "Why is there no consistency in Starfleet ship design nowadays?".

In theory, the Akira and Prometheus classes could also be used - they are the only other modern starships out there with sufficient detailing. But IMHO it wouldn't be flattering to have these midgets next to the E-E. The Akira with the transversely stretched saucer looks fat and slow compared with the longitudally stretched E-E, and the Prometheus is so darn small (even if it does have the right shape of nacelles).

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree that it will probably be a new design that is very similar to the Sovvie. Especially so if the ship will play more than a "fly off into the sunset with her new skipper on board" role. I could see it being a reuse if it's only going to be in the movie at the end like the ships in Generations. But if the Titan and the Enterprise are going to be fighting alongside each other, it'll definitely be a new design.

If it helps any...my Nebula Class is named the Titan.... Doesn't help? Well, I didn't think it would [Wink]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might be that we never even see the Titan in the movie. There's no mention of multiple-starship operations in the current spoilers: Riker commands the Enterprise in the big battle scenes, and other Federation vessels are only mentioned in the passing in some unconfirmed rumors.

So perhaps the movie will end with Picard shaking hands with Riker on the E-E obs lounge, saying something like "Too bad you're moving over to the Titan, I lose a good officer and a mean poker adversary" and Riker going all mushy, then departing for greener pastures. Zoom to closing door, then refocus on contemplative Picard, then pan to the stars and fade out. The last image of a Trek movie need NOT be that of a departing starship - ST3 had none (nor did ST5, for that matter, but let's forget I mentioned that).

Timo Saloniemi

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that would almost be like a TNG episode: "Hey Wes, the Merrimac has arrived to pick you up. - Closeup on Wesley...five minutes of dialogue pass by - then: "Bad luck, Wes. They just left again"

And we never saw the bloody ship for cryin out loud. Wasn't that what (nearly) always happened? I hope they won't do that in the movie.

By the way, I think the ending was the only part of ST.V that I liked - at least a bit. I quite liked it that they reused the ending almost entirely in First Contact.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, can we get a somebody to edit the title to be more specific concerning what's being spoiled? I had no idea the Titan referred to Nemesis until after I read the first post.

From now on people, when making threads or posts with spoiler warnings, lets make sure they what they are spoiling specifically.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they could use the design Eaves made for First Contact even though it was a rough one. The USS Titan would then be like the USS Reliant in ST2.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm of the opinion that we won't be seeing the Titan in Nemesis. From what we know of the plot, it won't figure into it in any significant way, and at the end of a movie it's usually bad to introduce new elements to get the audience riled up about something. So even if the Titan appears, I strongly believe that it'll be some ship design we've seen before.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prometheus was a Titan.

In a sane world USS Prometheus could be a member of the Titan class. In a Paramount world....
[Wink]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The U.S.S. Prometheus was Prometheus class.

And I'm not positive about this, but I could have sworn I heard a rumor that there is indeed a scene which takes place on board the Titan between Riker & Troi. So that would, of course, necessitate the need for an actual ship. However, if the ship doesn't appear until the end of the movie, and only has screen time for a few minutes, then I highly doubt that it will be a new design. Of course, I may not be giving the new VFX people enough credit here. I'm just basing my assumption on what Paramount would probably want.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Reg Barclay might be Riker's CEO!?!

I don't like the name 'Titan'... sounds like 'Titanic' ;o)

If it IS a brand spanking new ship (which they think we always want... we DON'T) Let's hope there is some design continuity - not like the Akira/Steamrunner/Sabre/Norway. And that the REGISTRY is correct.

I think it'd be nice to see Riker get a Galaxy class starship - it'd be nice sorta like "going home". Then they could use the bridge set at Star Trek: The Experience.

Not more Riker in the ship playing with his Joystick/Picard on planet. RIKER is the XO - he should be beaming into hazardous situations.

Generations did it so did Insurrection. CRAP.

ALSO, I hope the script has a pretty darn good reason to move on to a Captaincy... he's already passed it up in 2364, 2365 and 2366, why again all of a sudden in 2379 - 13 years later!?!

Also, I hope we get to see more of the old extras that we used to see in the TV series and in the movies. Alyssa Ogawa, Reg Barclay, Ensign McKnight, Ensign Taurik, Lt. Lavelle, Ensign Raeger, Ensign Taitt (I'm sure all these people have been promoted) that dark and spikey haired lady that has been in several positions on the bridge - she was also in Generations (in yellow) and First Contact. That useless science officer in Best of Both WorklOBW Part 1 who helps Riker up - she does nothing to stop the Borg though Oh I'd like a casual mention of Dr. Sela - it's been a while - was the last mention season 7? Doubt we'd see Lt. Ro. If it's a Romulan movie - why no Sela!?! Pity Andreas Katsula is busy with B5 again - Tomalok needs a dusting off!

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean Dr. Selar? Yah...any excuse to see Suzie Plackson again (probably spelled her name wrong). Me-OW!

OK...that was piggish of me.

I agree that seeing a brand spanking new ship at the very tail end of the movie would be a bad thing. We'd never know anything about it and it would add needless frustration to our lives.

It's almost certain, though, that Riker won't move on until after the main part of the story if there are no scenes with both ships in the action. Otherwise, Riker wouldn't be in the movie much at all.

My guess is that the issue with finally accepting a promotion will have somethign to do with his marriage. It'll be an "all the pieces of my life are falling right into place" kind of thing.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that Riker's replacement on the 'Enterprise' has been cast, I think its a good bet we'll see the 'Titan.'

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be a continuation of the Endeavour concept for First Contact, or perhaps some other cut FC design, like the Zandura.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.