Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Defiant vs. Bigger ships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Defiant vs. Bigger ships
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wha you need to remember is that, with a good pilot, a fighter will beat up a bigger ship any day. Of course, fighter is a relative term. To a Borg Cube, the Neg'Vahr(SP?) Klingon ship is a fighter, to that, an Intrepid, to an Intrepid, the Defiant, and to the Defiant, something like Data's scout ship. That's what Starfleet should mass-produce: a warp-capable, heavily armed, one man fighter.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. Any small ship is limited in the power it can produce. Let's take a Peregrine (I assume the Peregrine class to be the fighters from SofA.) versus a Jem'Hadar bug, for example.

The Bug is a much larger vessel. As such, it holds more fuel, and a larger engine. It can put more power into its shields then the Peregrine can put out. You need more then one to overcome the shields. The question is, is it cheaper to build a squadron of fighters, or a starship? The answer depends on how many fighters you need to generate enough energy to break through the shields of your enemy.

We have seen the Federation use fighters for two purposes, so far. The first, in SofA, is to goad the Cardassian ships into chasing them. The second, in "The Changing Face of Evil," is to provide reconnaissance. (Much like those small ships Baloo designed.)

From this limited evidence, it would seem clear that the Peregrines aren't meant to take on capital ships alone.

------------------
"You hear about 'constitutional rights,' 'free speech,' and the 'free press.' Every time I hear these words I say to myself, 'That man is a Red!!...' You never hear a real American talk like that!"
--
Mayor Frank Hague, Jersey City

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Federation Shipmaster, the UP forums were closed well over a year ago. If you are refering to the original ones which were in wwwboard format.

------------------
'Sir, you've been ordered not to take Polermo'

'Ring General HQ, ask them if they want me to give it back'.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...well Starfleet or at least Earth DOES have those puny fighters which got really splatted near Mars in "Best of Both Worlds"....

------------------
If a tree falls on a mime in the forest...does anyone care?

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But those fighters were going to attack a Borg cube. You would expect them to survive such a thing? It's impossible to determine their capabilities by matching them with a far superior enemy like the Borg.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mars Defense Perimeter is actually composed of unmanned vessels, according to the encyclopedia.

------------------
"You hear about 'constitutional rights,' 'free speech,' and the 'free press.' Every time I hear these words I say to myself, 'That man is a Red!!...' You never hear a real American talk like that!"
--
Mayor Frank Hague, Jersey City

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps