Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Cochrane

Author Topic: USS Cochrane
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there two USS Cochranes or one USS Cochrane?
The First USS Cochrane
In the Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion, for the episode "The Drumhead", the author writes that the Oberth Class ship seen in the episode is the USS Cochrane. This Oberth Class ship seems to have a lower registry than NCC-59318. I believe the registry is NCC-6000. (If someone can get a very good vidcap that zooms on the registry, perhaps the registry can be read more clearly.)
The Second USS Cochrane
According to the encyclopedia, the USS Cochrane NCC-59318 is the ship that docked at DS9 in "Emissary".

IP: Logged
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't they both the same ship. I didn't know about the Cochrane in The Drumhead, but the one that brought Jadzia Dax and Dr. Bashir to DS9 was definately the Oberth class Cochrane. Is your question about a registry discrepancy? If it is I haven't seen The Drumhead in a long time so I have no idea about what the registry of that ship is.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trinculo: Didn't you say in the past that the Oberth in "Emissary" was actually labelled with the Yosemite's name and registry?

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Walter Barnett: "D-Did that thing just shatter an overpass into dust?"
Donny Finkleberg: "No, I...I think it was an entrance ramp."

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There has only been one USS Cochrane mentioned.

------------------
Homeboy in Outerspace

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shipbuilder: I believe there are two USS Cochranes. The first USS Cochrane operated to the year 2368. A second USS Cochrane was launched soon afterwards in late 2368 or early 2369. The registry for both ships is different. (I believe that registries are not chronological and that Starfleet was still launching ships in the 2360's and the 2370's with registries in the 50000 to 60000 range.)

The Shadow: I have studied tapes of ships. I did say that the Oberth Class ship that docked at DS9 was labeled as that of the USS Yosemite. Unfortunately, this doesn't help in the identification of ships. Too many ship models in the Star Trek universe are labeled with the name of one ship and bearing the name of another. A few examples-
Name: USS Hood NCC-42296
Ship name: USS Excelsior NCC-2000

Name: USS Cochrane NCC-59318
Ship name: USS Yosemite NCC-19002

Name: USS Rio Grande NCC-72452
Ship name: USS Shenandoah NCC-73024
The registry of this model in "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" can be seen when the ship is facing the camera. Further, this is how I dated the footage of the Danube Class ship seen in "When It Rains...". This ship bore the registry NCC-72452. This dates the footage to before the episode "One Little Ship". I believe the modelers have one model for filming.

Brown: As I said, there are two mentions of USS Cochrane. Tomorrow, I will post the relevant page from the TNG Companion.

IP: Logged
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a Cochrane is Spacedock during STIV of the Oberth class.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Oberth Class in Star Trek IV is the USS Copernicus NCC-623

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I just realized that after I left.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps