Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Ronald D. Moore, NCC-70564, Galaxy-class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Ronald D. Moore, NCC-70564, Galaxy-class
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(This info was posted in the Wolf 359 thread, but I just thought I'd make a new one to make sure everybody finds out...)

Captain Kyle Amasov of the TrekBBS e-mailed Gary Hutzel to find out the name of the mystery Galaxy from the DS9 Calendar. Hutzel replied that it was labeled as U.S.S. Ronald D. Moore, named for the famous SF admiral (naturally... [Wink] ) that we've heard about on all those dedication plaques.

Here's the BBS thread where it came up:
http://trekbbs.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001732.html

It can be added to your shiplists (or not, if you choose, since we still have no confirmation of it ever being in an actual episode) accordingly.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we can be 99.99% sure this ship has never appeared onscreen, so its a delectable footnote to the holy writ of canon, but delectable footnote nonetheless.

Unforunate Coincidence of the week:

On the day this little tribute to RDM finally became public knowledge, they guy joined the unemployment line. Alas, poor Roswell.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. In the end, it'll probably be about the same level as the Trinculo on the canon scale. Still interesting to know that someone actually labelled a model like that at some point, though.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that the registry of the USS Ronald D Moore has a registry lower than the Galaxy itself. Is it possible to have a class ship with a higher registry number. I know that the Constitution Class had this but since then I have always assumed that registry numbers were sequential.

If this ship is "official" could this Ronald D Moore be one of the ships that was not constructed in the first batch of ships. Instead the registry number was reserved for a galaxy class vessel.

--------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the text of Hutzel's e-mail, and a link to the pic he sent with it, courtesy of Capt. Kyle:

quote:
I am delighted to help you with your question.

Because the original composition is an 8x10 inch
negative, the name is clearly visible if you blow it up sufficiently.

The ship in question is the U.S.S. Ronald D. Moore, registry # NCC-70564.

This is, coincidentaly, the name of both a famous Star Fleet Admiral and a writer on a certain 20th century television show.

Attached is a close-up for your records.

-Gary Hutzel

You'll have to copy & paste this link.
(ImageStation just disabled direct- and hot-linking. Grrr... [Mad] )
U.S.S. Ronald D. Moore

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool closeup. Sadly it's still docked at a location where there's no docking port [Smile]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! So... What are we looking at here? I mean, is it the CGI E-D? The ILM revamp of the model? It looks like the latter to me, since the CGI model usually doesn't have the painted aztec scheme on it...

Mark

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I can't say for sure. The general opinion was that it was CGI, but it damn sure looks like the physical model to me...

The model was last labeled as the Trinculo, though, so the name & reg might have been manipulated digitally for the pic or something to that effect.

Here's the full shot:
http://www.maximumdefiant.com/images/bgrounds/wallpaper/them/1280center_defiant.jpg

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ January 30, 2002, 17:05: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Hellooooo, new wallpaper!

And as for the Moore being docked all funny, remember that the USS Venture was docked in the same way, albeit to the other side. Obviously, later model Galaxy class ships incorporated a docking hatch on the side axes of the saucer. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which makes a whole lot of sense in case the saucers are docked by themselves or if both main airlocks are damaged or disabled.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[two posts are better than one]

[ January 30, 2002, 22:33: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

I thought we'd established it was physical, seeing as Gary Hutzel was responsible.

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The phaser array and the lifeboat hatches don't look right for it to be either Galaxy physical model. I'm guessing the Moore is CGI. The Defiant is certainly the physical model though.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main phaser strip looks annoyingly smooth.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the same vein, many of the windows seem clearly (at least to me) to be textures and not physically indented into the surface of the hull. For a small pic, that would be fine, but that close up, it appears to be quite certainly CGI.

I know nothing about 3-D modeling, so this is just a semi-educated guess.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps