Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Norway [mojo?] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Norway [mojo?]
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one of those little known classes of ships from First Contact. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Dimensions and such. I'd especially like to know the condition of the CGI, has anyone taken it upon themselves to detail it a little more?

whoops... I suddenly remembered that it was Alex J. at ILM that did the Norway [and Mojo was with (strains because he hasn't gotten it straight yet) Digital Muse]. oh well, someone probably knows something more than I do [maybe even something more convincing than the DS9 TM... I'm having a time trying to convince some folks that the dimensions there (for that ship) are right].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the general theory is that the Norway CGI never left ILM.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo's from Foundation, the group that did VOY. Digital Muse did DS9.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, not quite. IIRC, Muse did mainly DS9 and Foundation did mainly Voyager, but they certainly collaborated and crossed-over on the two series fairly often.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are those smilies with their heads exploding....

I'm more confused than ever. Where's Mojo from!!! [Frown] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't he from Foundation Imaging?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo's from Foundation Imaging. He worked on the pilot and the first three seasons of Babylon 5 (my favorite show) among other things, and yes, the company did quite a few DS9 shots, including the second half of "Sacrifice of Angels" and the fire caves in "What You Leave Behind".

Foundation Imaging also modelled the alien fleet from "Sacrifice of Angels" in LightWave. Everything had to be created from scratch, because VisionArt and ILM apparently don't use that software. Muse modelled the Fed ships, and then they merged libraries.

Norway probably wasn't built because the Muse modellers never received ILM's model. Before that, during the time Vision Art was still doing the FX, Stipes said the following (ref. PsiPhi's page for "Call to Arms"):

"I believe we removed the Norway-class for technical reasons."

Now, Vision Art didn't seem to have compatibility problems when it comes to using ILM's CG models, because we've seen them use the Akira, Steamrunner, and the Sabre, and I doubt Vision Art would build these for just five episodes. Who knows what the "technical reasons" could've been?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either Foundation Imaging or Digital Muse also built the Galaxy-class from scratch. Mojo once commented that he didn't even know if ILM had a CGI Galaxy, although they almost certainly did, since we saw the Ent-D do the warp-snap effect in Generations, and after the pilot, that was always done with CGI models (There are instances of minitures being used for the "going to warp shot", but in those cases, the ship "smeared", like the Runabouts, or just movied quickly - like the Borg ship in BoBW or the three ships at the end of Generations. All the proper "snap" effects, such as Voyager and certain Defiant shots have been CGI, as far as I can tell).
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you check the "making of" section in the back of the "Generations" novelization, one of the guys talks about finally getting to do an Enterprise-D warp jump with a CGI model. In the show, according to him, it was done by switching from the six-footer to the two-footer after the nacelles flash, in such a way that the viewer doesn't notice. However, this may have been just the jump in the opening credits -- don't know about the others.

[ February 01, 2002, 04:38: Message edited by: Phelps ]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, someone asked this very question a couple of weeks ago. Mojo said something to the effect that the Norway model computer files were corrupted/mislabeled or something, and the model effectively lost.

*getting flashbacks of the Ambassador model here*

Oh well... I'm not too fond of the Norway-class design anyway.

And for the record: Mojo definitely works for Foundation Imaging. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Boris
Member # 713

Actually, he no longer works at Foundation. Rob Bonchune is now the guy to ask about anything "Enterprise"-related.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? I loved the Norway class! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phelps:
In the show, according to him, it was done by switching from the six-footer to the two-footer after the nacelles flash, in such a way that the viewer doesn't notice.

It's possible. I know part of the reason for the flash was to hide the transition in lighting in the model as well, as doing the stretch required a kind of slit-scan shot of the model to make it stretch. It might also have hidden the transition between two different models. A comparison of the ship before and after the flash might do a lot to answer that.

[ February 01, 2002, 19:31: Message edited by: MrNeutron ]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Minute-Man (has anyone seen the smallish movie "The Specials" here!?! Mojo did CGI for that movie! - It is a LO(fucking)L movie!) that was moi ;o)

Can we hound... softly Alex Jaeger about that Norway!?!

Oh and about the Warp snap effect in Generations - I aslo read where the effects guys were so happy because it was the first time in seven years that they actually had the lights of the E-D on while it 'snapped' to warp!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in occasional contact with Alex Jeager, I'll ask him about the Norway when I can...

And I may be going out on a limb here but I don't think Next Gen EVER used CG Enterprise. The rubber band effect can be achieved using an old technique called 'slit scan.' I'd be surprised if people thought it could only be done CG. It's easier, but not the ONLY way!

Mojo

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps