Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Torpedoes do not give the same amount of damage

Author Topic: Torpedoes do not give the same amount of damage
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Damage a torpedo inflicts depends on the point of impact. While some torpedo hits may blow off an entire saucer, others may cause a gash. Say a torpedo hits a ship at a 90 degree angle. Then the majority of the energy given off can severely damage the target. Now suppose a torpedo hits a target at a 30 degree angle. In this case the majority of the energy given off does not damage the target, but rather gets wasted in space, in which the torpedo does very little damage.

I'm saying this as a result of discrepancies in Quantum Torpedo technology. Only in one case we saw in which Q-Torps seem to be ineffective (in "Valiant" to which I maintain was an error), while in two others, they seem to be rather damaging.....

That's one possibility, the other is HOW the torpedo explodes. And these so-called limitations does not exclude Photon Torpedoes though. In WoTW, we saw a Photon Torpedo plow a large hole in a Klingon Cruiser, while in others (in the case of TNG's Yesterday's Enterprise), 5 direct torpedo hits only did moderate damage to a Klingon Bird of prey. Perhaps this was the same in the case of "Valiant".

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why wouldn't they just try to position and fire the torpedoes properly then.

The following makes me wonder, "Perhaps the angle of collision theory works for phasers as well?"

$$$Some Minor Spoilers of Things You Have Most Likely Already Guessed Follow...$$$

Quantum torpedoes are also less powerful than pulse phasers. In a Final Chapter episode two quantum torpedoes do a lot more damage than a half dozen pulse haser blasts. Quite strange.

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody else think that the lose of shields is minor inconvience in comparison to the lose of a structual integraty field. This could be the reason why torpedo don't do as much damage as we weould like.

Be kind....it's 2:30 in the morning

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bear: Good point about the SIF. The SIF actually keeps the ship in one piece. Without SIF, the impact of a torpedo could rip the whole ship apart, even if the damage to the hull were only superficial.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps