Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ MAJOR SPOILER! DS9's New Ship! $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ MAJOR SPOILER! DS9's New Ship! $$
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, this information comes from the press release for "The Dogs of War". First off, I can tell you now it is NOT USS DEFIANT-A! In fact, it's not even USS Defiant! Its...
USS Sao Paolo NCC-75633, Defiant class

Note, this is the highest registry we have ever seen, which means this ship must be pretty darned new

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh...I really hope this is true.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"[Steve Jobs] shouts at his employees a lot, using language you can't use on TV, not even on UPN." - Andy Ihnatko

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gracias a Deus! I'm half Brazilian, you see. . . 8)
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can the guy's at Anteres do it again?

------------------
Homeboy in Outerspace
(The only surviving fan of UPN's Homeboyz in Outer Space)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Sisko does an unofficial renaming on the spot, but I do hope the number is kept...

------------------
"......"
�������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to agree with Tom on this one, but it would be a jab at Brazil if they did that...

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be wrong, but isn't it technically spelled S�o Paolo? I'm not complaining; I just want to know if I'm imagining things...

And how did they come up w/ that? Why couldn't they have kept the adjectives-ending-in-"iant" theme going? USS Brilliant, USS Radiant, USS Reliant... Just a thought...

------------------
"I see you've found your Nausicaan friend. You seem unimpaled so far..."
-Q to Picard, "Tapestry"

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hopes its the Defiant-A*

------------------
I need help with getting a new sig. file, graduation, my girlfriend, my college junk. Ugh! I just need help.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the spelling I got from Microsoft Bookshelf was S�o Paulo...

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sao Paulo? Look, no insult to any nation (hell I wouldn't even applaud if they named it the new Dehli) but the name Defiant defines the ship. (excuse the pun). I sincerely hope they keep the name.

------------------
there's a bird in the chimney,and a stone in my bed
when the road's washed out,they pass the bottle around
and wait in the arms,of the cold cold ground

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, well, the "Paolo/Paulo" part wasn't what I was talking about. I was more worried about the tilde over the 'a' in "S�o"... :-)

------------------
-Q to Picard, "Tapestry"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the tilde also used for capital (hull) letters?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

USS S�O PAULO? I guess maybe we'll find out... *thinks, if they do show the name on the hull, they'll leave out the tilde*

------------------
-Q to Picard, "Tapestry"

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the writers would want to rehash the old Enterprise story over again - going where other shows have already been seems to be a no-no with the producers, given the need to establish a unique identity to the show.

Also the Defiant always seemed like an anonymous fighting ship which does its duty and goes under, so a Defiant-A would be like picking up an old ground pounder and promoting him to an officer - the ship is simply not made for such a call.

Boris

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it odd how for years after it should have become NCC rather than NX, they wouldn't change the model because it would invalidate their stock footage. . . and yet since then we've had the Valiant and now a new one as well. . .

Still, looked at another way - no Defiant stock footage in the last few epsiodes! 8)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps