Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships!
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Drexler may be sending me photos!

I just emailed him today. Here's what I sent:

Dear Mr. Drexler,

Hello! My name is Mark Delgado, & I am a member of Bernd Schneider�s Wolf 359 research team. With the help of Michael Okuda, Ed Miarecki, Rick Sternbach and others, we�ve been able to solve the mysteries surrounding the lost kitbashed ship models used in the battle scene in �Best of Both Worlds.�

Now we are trying to solve another ship model mystery, and I was wondering if you could help. The DS9 Tech Manual, which you did the artwork for, showed six kitbashed ship designs in the Appendix. Three of the designs had actually been shown in the show, namely these:

U.S.S. Centaur
U.S.S. Curry
U.S.S. Yeager
(with a link to Bernd's page for each diagram)

However, the last three designs have not been spotted so far in any episode:

Constitution variant
Excelsior variant2
Intrepid variant

Both Okuda & Sternbach gave us some good info. Okuda stated that these kitbashes were built by the VFX department, and that some of them were printed with names & registry numbers. He also said that some ships were given joke names because they knew that they wouldn�t be legible on a TV screen. Sternbach told us that you were given reference photos on which to base your drawings.

My questions to you are:
1. Were the last three ship designs also based on actual models built?
2. If so, were there any more models built besides these six?
3. Do you still have the reference photos to any of the models?
4. If you have the photos, but are unable to show them, could you at least tell us what names and/or registry numbers were printed on each?

Thank you for any helpful information you can provide.

Here's his reply:

Hi Mark!

All of the ships in the back of the DS9 Tech Manual were actually built by the VFX department from old kits. None of them were created for the book.

I think I do have some shots backed up somewhere. I will look for them this weekend.

Doug

OK, here's what I don't want. I don't want anyone else trying to get in touch with Drexler, asking him the same things I did. There's a good possibility that he will send me some of the reference photos, but I don't want everyone else & their brother pestering him about it, a la Ed Miarecki. The LAST thing I want to do right now is piss this guy off.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent! I'm crossing some digits for this.

How many marks do we have here, anyway?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when ever I talk about 'Mark', I mean you, M.N. [Big Grin]

This is great news Dukkie! I'm going to be very happy if we get new info from this. I wonder if it will turn out that the Intrepid/Constitution really wasn't the Voyager-prototype...

And the prospect of new names/regs...I think I'm going to have some kind of heart attack.

BTW, though, I'm confused about something you said in your e-mail. I didn't know we had EVER heard that the Intrepid/Ju'day kitbash was actually the U.S.S. Yeager. Only that the design was known as the "Yeager-class" by the Ds9 Art Dept. Was there something I missed? [Confused]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, you're right. I did mean to say the Yeager class, not the U.S.S. Yeager. Oh well. I'm sure he knew what I was talking about.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's hoping that the ships look better live than drawn... (And it's not a completely unrealistic hope, since so much of the BoBW stuff turned out to be quite palatable in the end.)

Three Qua'plas to Drexler in any case! I wonder if it were possible to pester somebody else to find out where those models were actually used? All in "A Time to Stand", or sprinkled elsewhere as well?

Timo Saloniemi

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats brilliant news. I always liked the Constitution Class and i would like to see a variant of that class in the 24th century. Will this means the classes will be canon then?

--------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, that's a matter of opinion. Sure, they were on-screen - but then again, so were a couple of microphone booms...

Personally, I've got nothing against a ship shaped like the Constitution-sans-secondary-hull (as long as the specs are corrected from their DS9 TM appearance). The three-nacelled, two-tops-saucered Excelsior could also be salvageable. But an Intrepid with Constitution nacelles is a monstrosity whose canonicity I will deny if given the slightest opportunity! [Smile]

Timo Saloniemi

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I hated the Excelsior with the three nacelles more than the Intrepid one.

--------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey this sounds like great news, and remember to thank him whole-heartedly from all of us!

Did you... ahem... maybe let drop about Flare... he might like to come and have a squiz. Either 1. be entertained as a fan or 2. disgusted and repulsed at our complete obsession! ;o)

Heh.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^

Your're only jealous because we have Rick Sternbach at the TrekBBS. [Big Grin]

*Hopefully it's weekend soon.*

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would be great if he followed Mojo's example. It's always nice to get first hand info straight from the source.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I figure that I'll try to get the photos first, and then ask him questions later. I think it's a little more important to just wait until I hear from him again instead of trying to pester him about Flare.

Anyway, we can at least get some questions answered already. Namely, if all the ships depicted were actually built (yes), or did Drexler just make them up (no). As to where they are in shots, IMHO if they weren't in "A Time To Stand" then they weren't anywhere. I think we at Flare have the best eyes anywhere for finding obscure ships in shots or on displays, and we haven't found those last three ships yet. Since all the models (with the exception of the Yeager) were exclusively built for "A Time To Stand," then that's where they should be.

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
As to where they are in shots, IMHO if they weren't in "A Time To Stand" then they weren't anywhere. I think we at Flare have the best eyes anywhere for finding obscure ships in shots or on displays, and we haven't found those last three ships yet. Since all the models (with the exception of the Yeager) were exclusively built for "A Time To Stand," then that's where they should be.

I think it's strange they built several kitbashes just to include them somwhere in the background where no one is able to see them. Where's the sense behind this? They could have used standard-CG Miranda or Akira instead.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they were thinking of reusing them in later episodes - which of course they didn't.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

They built the kitbashes because, like in BoBW, they needed cheaply-priced battle-damaged ships, & didn't want to damage their expensive studio models just for one scene. Plus, when you build a ship model out of a plastic model kit, you don't want to show it up close because it will look fake. Hence the reasoning for showing the models in the far background.

--------------------

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps