Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships!
Admiral Forest
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have liked to have seen an Ambassador class ship in the background.
IP: Logged
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No e-mails from Drexler yet, Dukhat?

--------------------
Meh

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I am keen to know that answer as well - don't be too impatient.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems we will get a good deal of stuff to talk about...

What will we do about the three unseen ships? Maybe they were really visible somewhere in the far background, and this would make them as valid as the Wolf 359 ships. What about odd names and registries? What if there is really a USS Voyager NCC-73602?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, some people still use the 5xxxx number for the Prometheus. It could be similar to that. Voyager-74656 was lost, so they gave the name to another ship. That ship just happened to have experienced a halt in production for a while, causing it to have a rather old registry when it was finally launched and named.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Well, some people still use the 5xxxx number for the Prometheus.

Well...yeah. I can't see how anyone can claim that that's not its number. Even though the 7xxxx number was used in the dedication plaque and MSD and was probably a better number for the ship, it was barely (if at all) visible in the episode, and the other one was plastered all over the hull!

-MMom [Big Grin]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can't see how anyone can claim that that's not its number.
Because 5xxxx was an error of the CGI guys.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What if there is really a USS Voyager NCC-73602?
You're implying that the Intrepid/Constitution kitbash is actually the Voyager study model. Until recently I would have agreed with you, but after Drexler's email, I'm not sure I feel that way any more. I guess we'll just have to wait & see.

BTW, nothing from Drexler yet. I'll give him a week or two, then I'll try to contact him again if I don't hear anything before that time.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the "Intrepicon" turns out to be a kitbash and not the proto-voyager then it would be an amazing coinsidence that a such a model shares so many comon features with the study model.

My money is on it being the proto-voyager.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, some people still use the 5xxxx number for the Prometheus.
Backward people like me [Wink]

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

cptmkb
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for cptmkb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smart people like you (and me)

--------------------
"C'mon, tightly hold your hand / Take a deep breath, give them the finger / Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?" - Our Lady Peace, One Man Army

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and me...
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that everyone's using different approaches. Most of the time they don't conflict, but it is the problematic areas that reveal them. Let's make up some definitions:

The Commonsense Approach:

Put an average Joe in front of a TV and ask him which number is canon. Or show him a size comparison chart and ask him to find errors. Whatever he says is gospel. Why? Because an assumption behind the medium is that you won't look too closely -- if you do you defeat its purpose (i.e. by saying that Caesar was killed by a rubber knife in "Julius Caesar" because that's what the theater prop was). The advantage of this approach is that we avoid ridiculous explanations and keep things within the intentions of the producers.

The Documentary Approach:

Treat the show as documentary footage. There are no errors whatsoever, and everything must have an explanation. Hence, the correct number is the one more likely to be correct. Which one? The MSD and plaque number, because the hull number takes longer to change and could be a previous registry that wasn't painted over. The advantage of this approach is that it introduces greater believability into the show if the explanations are sound, and that these explanations could be accepted by the producers as well and used in the show.

[ February 25, 2002, 17:54: Message edited by: Boris ]

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMoM--I find it hard to believe that YOU of all people would accept the NX-5xxxx registry.
(Unless you were joking, of course)

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just plain don't trust exterior ship shots anymore. We know the VFX guys fiddle w/ stuff to make things look better, at the cost of accuracy (why I don't trust size comparisons), and that they aren't in the best of communications w/ the rest of the staff so they make stuff up on their own (why I don't trust something like the Prommie registry).
  This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.