Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Stuff we don't agree on - Continued (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stuff we don't agree on - Continued
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since most of the stuff we�ll talk about has been brought up, let�s move on. I�ve taken the issues from the previous thread and compiled them in the list below. Let me know if there�s anything else to add, or if any of these need explanation (some are obscure). Remember, the point of all this is to talk about commonly argued-about things, whether there be a contradiction in canon or just little-known facts that have to be presented to the world.

- Excelsior-class Lexington
- Apollo design
- Yamato registry
- New Orleans-class/City of New Orleans-class
- 1700 Constitution: class ship?
- Melbourne registry
- Curry/Shelley registry
- Shenandoah registry
- Raman registry
- Ganda/er spelling
- Br*ttain spelling
- Jenol*n spelling
- Bozeman: still in use?
- Constellation: still in use?
- Excelsior: still in use?
- Carolina: class?
- Mayflower: exists?
- Discovery: exists?
- Trial: exists?
- Studio models (Leeds/Trinculo/Valkyrie)
- Admiral Hanson's ship/ships
- Ent-A: Yorktown?
- Intrepid commissioning date
- Low registry ships (Akiras, Phoenix, etc.)
- Phantom Oberth Grissom
- Registry of Fearless
- Number of Galaxies

There�s also some general stuff which probably needs to be covered in more than just a paragraph, and may be beyond the scope of the planned page. If these will be included, only the general gist of the problem(s) will need to be presented.

- Class ships' names being reused
- Lifespan of Mirandas, Oberths, Excelsiors, etc.
- Meaning of NCC, USS, etc. (or lack thereof)
- Attack-fighters

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"[Steve Jobs] shouts at his employees a lot, using language you can't use on TV, not even on UPN." - Andy Ihnatko

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the length of the Defiants, Frank?

------------------
I still need help with getting a new sig. file, but I have two days of class left, then three days of finals, WOOHOO! Now, if I could just my girl to lighten up a bit.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's this phantom Oberth Grissom?

------------------
I did it! I did it all! And I'm damn proud of it too!

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
City of New Orleans sounds too stupid to be a class name

"Here's your new ship, Captain Blah. The U.S.S. Gumbo, City of New Orleans class."

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan
www.gamingsector.com

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bryce: That topic will be dealt with later.

Fabrux: In the first Encyclopedia (in the ship list), there's a Oberth-class Grissom with an NCC-59xxx number that's supposed to be the Excelsior one.

DeadCujo: Tell that to TSN.

------------------
"If it's not fun, it's not Macintosh." - Adam Engst

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about using non-canon class names for different types of ships within a class?

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

[double post]

[This message was edited by The Shadow on May 14, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

We don't care about non-canon stuff. It just confuses the matter, and has nothing to do with the current project.

------------------

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Charles, ya think that just for like a week, you could put in a new forum that is just about the length of the Defiant and let me moderate it?

------------------
I still need help with getting a new sig. file, but I have two days of class left, then three days of finals, WOOHOO! Now, if I could just my girl to lighten up a bit.

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some comments-
1. USS Shenandoah
Why is the registry of this ship in dispute? The registry was clearly shown.
2. USS Cochranes
There are two USS Cochranes supposedly-NCC 8000 ("The Drumhead", "The Game") and NCC-59318 ("Emissary"). How is this to be explain? (I am curious-how many of the readers have actually read the ST:TNG Companion.)
3. The original class of the USS Trieste
In an Okudagram from the fourth year (published in issue 16 of the ST:TNG Collector's edition published by Starlog), the class of the USS Trieste is Yosemite. This same okudagram gives the registry of the USS Fearless as NCC-14598.
4. USS Gettysburg
Is the Constellation Class ship still in service in 2375 ("Treachery, Faith, and the Great River")?
Thank you, Trinculo

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remind me about the Jenol*n. I saw "Relics" recently and the Okudagram definitely said Jenolan. I didn't see a name on the model. . . is this just because the Encyclopedia spelt it Jenolen?

And does either spelling of the name mean anything to anyone?

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is quite obviously still a Bozeman in use. There is no way to tell if it is actually the one seen in "Cause and Effect" besides resorting to speculation for or against.

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Trinculo: The Shenandoah's registry either ended in 24 or 44, IIRC. Maybe it's time to fire up the ol' big-screen TV again.

Good point about the Cochrane and Trieste. The Fearless registry is interesting. Do you have a scan of the Okudagram?

Lee: Even worse, the model was labelled Jenolin.

Whether ships are still in service is another large topic, although someone could make a list of ships with previously-used names...

------------------

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thread about changing ship names has set a train of thought in action. . . I wonder: assuming the Prometheus' registry is truly intentional and it's been in development a long time, could the project have been so secret that a Nebula-class USS Prometheus was commissioned in ignorance? And then, for all we know, it could have been renamed when the actual Prometheus-class prototype was rolled out. . . something to consider.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TNG Tech Manual states that while the prototype of the Galaxy class was under construction, she was only refered to as 'NX-70637', and that she didn't have a name yet. It's always been my thought that the name isn't 'officially' given until the ship is commisioned. Remember, the old champaign bottle hitting a ship just as she is launched?

"I christen thee, USS [Ship Name]"

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps