Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » How do we explain... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How do we explain...
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yeager can't be awhole new ship because I can't believe that they would put a new starship saucer on top of a large Maquis Raider body.

Its really a mystery, seeing that we don't have a age for the Maquis Raider, and if it is old, then why put one of the state of the art saucers on top of a POS ship that when reality you could put that saucer on top of its proper body, and perhaps be far more efficient.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's definitely not a maquis raider, though it might look similar. [Wink]

I assume it is some sort of custom-built hull, either as a testbed for the Intrepid or as a whole new class, using the advantages of the maquis-raider study.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the sad story of the USS Elkins, which suffered a devastating accident while in flight trials. When the captain ordered the ship to fire a torpedo at the targeting range the torpedo jammed in the launcher, and then exploded. The resulting forces sheared the ship apart, and destroyed most of the Engineering Section.

Now this was the time of the Dominion War, Starfleet hadn't the time to rebuild the Elkins' secondary hull. But the ship had an almost perfectly working saucer. It was decided to take the nacelles of the Elkins' [which had survived the accident] and the saucer then mate them to another secondary hull.

The reworking would only take a few months to complete, far less than the two years necessary to repair or build a new secondary hull from the Intrepid Class. The reworking involved only two steps. The nacelles were connected by simply welding them on in the appropriate spot where the PTCs would match up. As for mating the two hulls together, this process was done by making a simple five part conversion section. The conversion section created one corridor path, two turbolift paths, and two utility conduit paths which connected the two hulls with power grids, data lines, and others [this also included two paths between the hulls via the Jefferies Tubes].

And so ends the sad story of this ship. After spending those few short months getting it's secondary hull, the vessel was sent to the front lines. A majestic ship was thus reduced to cannon fodder. To this day, no one has ever told me if the vessel survived the war physically, though spiritually it died the day of that accident. Perhaps, just perhaps, one caring admiral was able to get the ship sent back to it's shipyard and rebuilt. But if this is what happened, the story was never told...

In the past I've tried explaining the above in the driest of technical ways. I added in some drama this time. Do you understand yet? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yuck.

i dont have a hard time believing that these ships werent pretty because they werent built to be pretty, as warships, and leave it at that. Intrepid-class variable geometry gelpak systems were too expensive so Intrepid hulls ended up being mated to more common engine designs

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! (late to thread, so forgive me if this has been said)

Everyone's assuming that the Intrepid hull design was a complete "new build". What if the "Yeager class" pioneered the Primary hull deisgn that was later also used for the Intrepid? [Smile]

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting theory. Allthough the Intrepid seems to be scratch-built, you say it only uses the Yeager-saucer. Hmm. Going with this *revolutionary* idea, we could also argue about the originality of the Constitution-class saucer. Maybe Hermes/Saladin/Ptolemy were first. Or Galaxy's parts. They were used for a couple of ship, ships which have lower registries (like Niagara or Nebula, for example.)
On the other hand, the question remains why the Yeager saucer looks so smooth while the secondary hull is... err... chunky.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Niagara's saucer isn't elliptical. It's a slightly modified Ambassador saucer rotated 180�, with the bridge rotated back to the proper facing. The saucer shuttlebay has been converted into an observation lounge or something, and the phaser strips have been relocated, but that's definitely as much an Ambassador bit as the secondary hull. Pulled from the same molds at the same time...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

[Smile]

Better be quiet. Or they'll come here and kill you, my friend. If you really think it is round, I'll give you a good advise: run. Run like hell and pray they didn't hear you. Mua-hahahar!!!

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
The Niagara's saucer isn't elliptical. It's a slightly modified Ambassador saucer rotated 180�, with the bridge rotated back to the proper facing. The saucer shuttlebay has been converted into an observation lounge or something, and the phaser strips have been relocated, but that's definitely as much an Ambassador bit as the secondary hull. Pulled from the same molds at the same time...

--Jonah

Sorry, but no. Try TSN's line proof for yourself. It doesn't matter how extreme of an angle the ship is tilted at in the Jein pic, it's elliptical.

Read Tim's (and others) post here.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S.

It's definitely not from a Galaxy, though, either. It's a custom-built piece.

-MM

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*heh* I see what you mean, Kyle... Yeesh.

Okay, I've gone back and looked at my available pics. I admit I was focusing on the modified Ambassador bridge superstructure. *sigh* You're right. It ain't round. But the damage makes it a little tough to truly determine the original curvature. You sure it isn't pulled from the two-foot E-D saucer moulds? The engines are pretty clearly pulled from the three-foot E-D. That and the known Ambassador features are our clearest measures of scale.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps