Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Class of the USS Centaur... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Class of the USS Centaur...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hereby submit that the class of the USS Centaur, in abscence of a canonical reference, should be based in part on its apprearance.

Ever since I first saw the model, I was appalled at all the gold/bronze stuff all over her - sorta like jewelery, or chains. Add to this the raised ridge incorporating the Miranda bridge bubble and Excelsior shuttlebay/deflector doohickey, which looks almost like a mohawk. And all this, on pieces of a ship which was popular back in the 1980s of TV/movies, but that has seen only a lackluster career in the 1990s world and today.

Based on this and discussions with someone who shall remain nameless at this juncture, we've decided to call this one a BARACUS CLASS STARSHIP.

An ah pity d'fool who don't lahk my choahs.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, for all we know the ship could turn out to be the same class as the Tolstoy.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In 2372 a crack starship crew was sentenced to death for a crime they did not commit. These men escaped from a military stockade to the Maquis Underground. If you have a problem, and no-one else can help, and if you can find them - maybe you can hire - the Centaur crew!"

It'd make a nice dedication plaque. 8)

Personally, I always wanted the Centaur to be a Chimera. After all, a centaur is a chimeric animal, and the ship itself is a mixture of two different designs.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, the one known Chimera is named the Portland. Any residents here who could verify whether Portland bears a close resemblance to an unholy joining of a goat, a lion and a snake?

All that ornamentation and jewellery on the Centaur would be quite fitting of the renaissance era, if you catch my drift...

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
Mark, for all we know the ship could turn out to be the same class as the Tolstoy.

No way! I have a nice concept for the Rigel based on the four-nacelled Excelsior-study. No one touches that name! [Big Grin]

Besides liking the dedication for the ship, I think it's a good name for it.

You said you discussed the name with someone who's name shall not be revealed. The tell us just how official the guy is (scale from 1-10, 1=fanboy, 10=Mike Okuda, sort of). [Wink]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Portland, Oregon or Portland, Maine? 8)

--------------------

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No, No, No! The Centaur has been Baracus class for 28 years, and now comes some ARTIST, and calls it Bananas-class. It's an insult to the Flare Group, who did so much to rationalize these ships over the years. No way, it's gotta be Baracus-class and Bananas-subclass."

[Cool]

[ March 14, 2002, 06:34: Message edited by: Boris ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhhh...what exactly is the point of this thread?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
Member # 393

Of course, we may well ask which Portland the Chimerra-class starship is named after; but maybe it's named after a bit of both. 8)

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point of this thread is that we're assigning a class name to a starship that needs one. And I personally support staying away from established name classes in the off chance that that name would be assigned to something in the canon eventually... And if the Centaur ends up being one of them officially, we can more easily discard a fandom name for the official one than switch official ones around. Besides, I don't think any of us want to steal the thunder from the great work the boys over at ASDB are doing. As for the nameless one, I promised not to tell who or why for a while. And no, I'm not being an elistist bastard withholding info or something. The story will eventually be told.

Regardless, I like the Centaur being a Baracus-class starship, so I'm sticking to it. Obviously, Reg Barclay (or one of his ancestors) had something to do with this ship looking so nutty.

Mark

[ March 14, 2002, 08:50: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest using either a canon name or an official name that's likely to appear onscreen, or no name at all. If you really, really need it for a publication, it makes sense to connect ship names and classnames, even though that isn't always the pattern.

Remember that the U.S.S. Jenolan (named after Jenolan caves near Sydney) is Sydney class, or that the runabouts follow the river pattern, or that the Apollo-class continues with Agammemnon and Ajax, or that the Istanbul-class comprises the Constantinople and Sarajevo....

Boris

[ March 14, 2002, 10:18: Message edited by: Boris ]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys gotta keep Mark busy with the "You're the Admiral!" thread, before he starts suggesting even siller things. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can't be the Baracus-class because then the ship would be USS Clubber Lang. Or USS Inspectah Collect...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

quote:
I don't think any of us want to steal the thunder from the great work the boys over at ASDB are doing.
I give as much of a flying fuck about what the twats over at ASDB are doing as I give about FASA, Franz Whatthefuck (Joseph?) and any other if-enough-fanboys-agree-on-it,-it-becomes-canon wankathon. But I see your point about how complicated it gets if the Centaur turns out to be a different unseen class entirely. It was hard enough calling the Shelley the Curry instead, as it was. 8)

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Ta-dah... [Smile]

So now, is it possible to give a Baracus-class ship the registry NCC-1-800-COLLECT?

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps