Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Missing Okudagram from ("Hotel Royale"[TNG]) found. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Missing Okudagram from ("Hotel Royale"[TNG]) found.
darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, April Fool's Day is different... [Smile]
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can find out if it's real. Give me some minutes, I'll pull out my tape of that episode and check it. Will be back in 45 minutes. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if i find its not.. soooo help me, boy....
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Reverend did say missing okudagram. Doesn�t that imply that if this is real (and why not give the guy the benefit of the doubt, why a prank?) it was cut from the episode for some reason?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hasn't anyone noticed yet that the font used for that thing is AWFULLY similar to that fanboy-made TNG Monitors, where the A and the S is a pale imitation from either Compacta BT or Swiss 911, that seems to be the official font for LCARS software?

Maybe I had the wrong impression. Just for that, I'm on the 'fake' side of the debate.

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is exactly what i was referring to here. The font in the Okudagram seen is TNG Monitor, a fake fanboy-font that is number three on the captain's list of pet peeves. Okuda uses Compacta, but a fan interested in copying that can use Swiss911.

in the season 2 okudagrams, okuda was apparently limited by technology, and the appearance of the letters is extremely pixellated. but it is still obviously not TNG Monitor, but a resized Compacta
if i may borrow the images:

-

note the differences in the fonts

please also note that Okuda always put the header 4027X on his Okudagrams (the last digit was the season number.. in this case 2) I remember this because of the 40273 argument over BoBW.. someone pointed out that might be Hanson's ship's registry, until it was shown that that number was on EVERY Okudagram that existed. I think the ship charts and othe Okudagrams support that this number was used more often than not for most set decorations and inserted Okudagrams.

The number in the Charybdis picture is completely dissimilar

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back again. It is missing,yes; but there is no scene where the image could possibly appear. Little breakdown of the show:

>A klingon cruiser tells them to fly to Theta 8.
>They find debries, beam the NASA-flag-wreckage on board.
>No one tries to find out where it comes from; Riker, Worf and Data beam down, enter the hotel-structure, Enterprise looses contact.
>While they investigate, Geordi and Wesley try to re-establish contact.
>After establishing contact, Riker tells them what they know, but they didn't find Richey yet.
>Data finds the lifeform in a hotel-room with the tricorder, they go there and find the dead body of Richey. There's his uniform, too, and a close-up reveals the mission emblem is the same pictured on the page linked above. Obviously no one knows Richey, they contact Enterprise and tell them to find out who he is.
>Colonel Stephen Richey was the commander of the science vessel Charybdis; it left earth on July 23rd, 2037; it was the third manned mission to leave the solar system. Picard tells the away team this while reading it from a monitor at the bridge (science station).
>In the end they buy the hotel and leave it; Riker meets Picard in his ready room in the last scene and they discuss the parallels between the mission and Fremat's mathematical riddle. This is the only time where we see an Okudagram, Picards desktop computer, but it is text-only.

I suppose the only scene where the Okudagram could have been seen was the the scene with Picard informing the team. But since it was a monologue and the cut probably took place after filming had been finished, I suppose it is difficult to delete that scene. And I guess it was only one or two seconds, so I really don't see any sense in doing this.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
Member # 709

i've prepared an example of the differences of the two fonts
 -

thats Swiss911, the passable Compacta variant on the left and TNG Monitor, the pathetic staple of bad websites on the right...

draw your conclusions

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of pulling a "Conspiracy Theory," why don't we all just wait until Reverend gives out some more info. For all we know, Mojo could have made this for his Unseen Frontiers book.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

capped
Member # 709

i would sincerely hope that Mojo is smart enough to never go near TNGMonitor.. im a litle ashamed to have had to install it on my machine in order to create that img. He is a professional graphic artist and should know the difference between readable design fonts and shitty imitations.

But you are right, lets wait for Reverend. And find out what this 'anonymous source' is.. and why that so called 'screengrab' is completely doctored....

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or we could drop the pretense and invoke the famed words of Senator Vreenak.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you guys would never figure it out!

Thanks very much to my co-conspiritors at ASDB and everyone else who was in on it, you know who you are.
Very special thanks of course goes to Bernd the incorruptable for making the more convincing "screencap".

I hope you lot had as much fun as I did and I'm glad that this topic has generated some valid discussion despite the deception.

As for the bad font...well it was all I had at the time and I didn't exactly plan this. I originally made the image for JOAT as an historical record, but after showign it to my fellow I thought we could have a giggle by giving you fine people the runaround ;-)

I realise that I've just destroyed what little credibility I may have had...but it was worth it [Smile]

P.S. MOJO, I'd be very flattered but I'm not about to get my hopes up...after all you didn't like my hopper much either [Wink] not that I'm particulary fond of it myself...

Toodles.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who are interested, I have stuck the updated and unaltered design over on designs, artwork & creativity where it belongs.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah...TNG Monitor is so completely worthless that any graphic or website daring to use it is automatically shite and any damn fool worthless and pathetic enough to install it on his machine must forthwith be barred from the field of graphic design forever.

Lord, Mike. The ego in that post stretched my screen...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Actually neither font is quite right.
The fan made version wouldn't be so bad if someone were to correct the error in the 'A' character.
I find the swiss font to be a little too thick to be the "real" LCARS font.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.