Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miranda in "Way of the Warrior?" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Miranda in "Way of the Warrior?"
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read on a lot of websites that there was a Miranda-class starship seen as one of the ships in the 6 ship task force at the end of "Way of the Warrior." Some say that it's the USS Trial.

Anyway, I have just watched the episode, and I did not see a Miranda anywhere. Just the Venture (a Galaxy) and two Excelsiors. Does anyone have a pciture of this Miranda? Perhaps I missed it, or another ship was mistaken for one.

--------------------
Meh

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at the far left of your tv screen. It's docked ot one of the airlocks on the outer ring (the type that the Defiant docks to) facing toward the right of the screen. And I'll never understand how a Miranda could dock in the configuration. And it could be the USS Trial, but one of those Excelsiors are just as likely to be named that. Or even one of the two remaining and unseen ships.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be interesting to know if that's the full-blown Miranda model (last seen reconfigured as the Saratoga from "Emissary," IIRC, so it would have had to go back into the shop to restore the roll bar) or if it's the ERTL USS Reliant kit gussied up sufficiently to appear onscreen for a split second.

To pull a CaptainMike,
(R-E-L-I-A-N-T) - (E-N) = (R-L-A-I-T) = (T-R-I-A-L)

[ May 30, 2002, 00:43: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe I've got a picture here... Copy & paste.

http://www.geocities.com/practical_unicorn/bridges/DS9Fleet.jpg

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
perhaps this is the extant Miranda CGI, not the physical model

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Page is unavailable, Mark...
Yeah, I watched the scene again and saw the Miranda docked at the station. I must've thought it was the Defiant.

--------------------
Meh

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gotta copy & paste the URL.

Mark

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone think that's its wierd to have a 6 ship fleet defend DS9 from a Klingon task force that could number in the thousands when reinforcements come? Unless those Excelsiors and Mirandas are super ships, I doubt they could do anything vs. the Klingon fleet. Granted the Klingons were not afraid of the fleet, they were worried about the Federation joining the war against the Klingons.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I think you answeredyour own question. Isolated skirmishes between the Klingons and the Federation are not uncommon (at least during TNG), and depite the size of the attacking fleet that time this could easily be counted as such. But if the incoming ships were fired upon, and as unlike DS9 they were full Federation assets, that would totally draw the Klingons into war. They were prepared to take on the weaker Cardassians, but sure as hell not the Federation in all-out conflict - especially when Gowron realized that this would leave both of them to be steamrollered by the Dominion afterwards.

Mark

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You didn't see the twenty starships behind the camera.

And I think we're talking a little early chronologically for entirely-CGI Federation ships on DS9.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were only 15 starships sent to defend DS9, who knows what the rest of the Fleet was up to? Besides, DS9 had already laid waste to a few dozen Klingon ships out of maybe 60-ish.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Veers
You first
Member # 661

OK, I see the Miranda now...how do they get a ship docked like that?

--------------------
Meh

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Duct tape, obviously. There's no physical docking port on the model along the bow of the saucer... I'm guessing that the Miranda in question is simply hard-docked there using the DS9 clamps, though the reason why is beyond me. Alternatively, perhaps the Miranda was somehow helping out with the station repairs, and was hovering a few meters off the docking port to shine floodlights, or run umbilicals.

And David, dialogue specifically notes that Admiral Hastur's task force is composed of "six starships, led by the Venture". We see four of them here; one wonders if this is an actual task force, or simply a squadron cobbled together from locally-available ships...

Mark

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering how long Mirandas have been around, though, and many different niches they have been adapted too, it isn't outside the realm of possibility that this particular one has a docking port there.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been too long sine I really watched DS9. ;_;

It's also possible that the docking port has some sort of extendable dock, they can't always have a docking pylon free for ships without a skinny part to slide into that area.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps