Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Model? in Okuda�s office (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Model? in Okuda�s office
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://harry2002.host.sk/dvdump/tng/page_01.htm

Pic No. 13,14 and 15. On the desk behind him is something that looks like the Ent-D secondary hull, but with different nacelles?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is defnitely the Melbourne.

Harry, honestly I can't see what your talking about. I may be looking at the wrong place, but I see a Galaxy-ish saucer with two nacceles on the side facing you. Is this what your talking about?

[ May 30, 2002, 09:51: Message edited by: The Defiant ]

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I see the object you're talking about, but it doesn't look like a Galaxy sec hull. It does look like it has Sovereign nacelles. For all we know the interview was made sometime during the production of Enterprise in prep for the release of TNG on dvd.

[ May 30, 2002, 09:57: Message edited by: Dat ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm about to quote shatner here....

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok...the only thing I see that might possibly be what you're talking about (someone please highlight it or something) is about a quarter of the way in from the left and about a quarter of the way down from the top. It's kind of red and white.

Is that it?

If that's what you're talking about, that's a tackle box with the trays pulled out. Alot of artist types use those kinds of boxes for supplies and stuff.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed that there is a Lt. Uhura figure in the pic with Okuda and the model of Jupiter. That and some kind of square TNG prop with a label on it.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/265/015_1.jpg There.. the marked bit.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban's right.

http://home.arcor.de/spike730/misc/notaship.jpg

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Aban's right.

http://home.arcor.de/spike730/misc/notaship.jpg

Do I smell a new type of shuttle? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, looks like a model of the Type 15 shuttle.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it *is* a new find. Some sort of prototype for the Type-6 shuttle, methinks. It's got the hexagonal nacelles, but no overhanging impulse drives on the aft dorsal.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing the pic of Okuda and the planet in it reminded me of my 1990 visit to the TNG art dept. I had the good fortune to have a personal tour of the by Mr. Okuda the week before they started shooting The Best of Both Wrolds: Part 2 (I was on the lot to interview Ronald D. Moore for Starlog's TNG magazine).

A few random observations...

1. The art dept was one big room and an anteroom...no one had a specific office.

2. I noticed the planet, Jupiter, right away as I walked in. I gestured at it and said, "That's cute," and Mike replied, "It's left over from the first movie," so now you know from whence it came (at least according to Mike). I also noticed that it was only painted on one side (the back was white primer), and Mike commented, "They only filmed one side."

3. I knew I was at the Art Dept. door because there was a sign in the window that read "CAUTION: ANTIMATTER HAZARD".

4. In addition to various other greeblies there, Mike had a preserved eteched brass segment from the Epsilon 9 station, which was very cool looking.

5. I didn't get to meet Rick Sterbach per se, although he was there. He had headphones on and was working on the battle bridge console transparencies.

6. Picard's desk computer was in the art dept. for repainting, so I got to play with it. It's mounted on a cheap lazy susan, so instead of the "whish" sound when you turn it, it rattles on bad ball bearings. Rrrrrrr... The paint job was sloppy to the naked eye, but at TV rez you can't see it, so...

7. Mike loaded an animation he had done of a sensor scan for "Tin Man" where the screen shows a cutaway of the titular vessel/life-form. I scored brownie points because I told Mike I knew exactly how he'd done the cutaway (he'd placed the virtual camera so close that parts of the model ended up "behind" the screen, so as it rotated you got this sense of sections being sliced away.

Unfortunately, I was there a week before shooting started, so I wasn't able to get a tour of the set. [Mad]

That's what I remember off hand. It's been like 12 years!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidently, you make video games! I realize that's somewhat offtopic, but...you make video games!
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was younger, when Crossroads of Time came out, I was probably not that far away from illicit relations with the cartridge. Friends and I used to pull all nighters playing that game, as we felt it looked very damn good, and we were playing Sisko. SISKO. ON OUR CONTROL PADS! Incidentally, I did not do terribly well in many of my first year university classes. BUT IT WAS SISKO. Good Show, sir.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for that shuttle, it looks like one of the studies Rick made in Season 4, before ending up with Type 6. You can see his doodles in "TNG: The Continuing Mission". I didn't realize Rick had actually made a (cardboard?) model of the thing!

And as for the mysterious nacelles... The Melbourne model in "Future Imperfect" is colored much like the paint sheet for the E-D model would suggest: the ramscoops are left red, the warp grilles are blue, etc. So this can't be it.

But when the model reappears in "The Wounded", it's monocolor (looks white on screen) and the mini-nacelles have been covered by some additional parts to make the thing look more like the "full-sized" USS Phoenix. Perhaps this all-silver model seen in these photos is the Melbourne after "Future Imperfect" but before the full conversion to "The Wounded" standard?

And perhaps the bit added onto the mini-nacelles is just an early test of "now what could we do with this one to make it look different?"...

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps