Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » �berauction (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: �berauction
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's apparently some big auction coming up of piles and piles of Trek stuff from the past 40 years. While I gather it's live (as in one of those old-fashioned talkie auctions that are not merely mythical), Ebay is providing a web listing of all the stuff.

And is there ever shitloads of it. 8 pages worth. Everything from skimpy tinfoil dresses from TOS to phaser props from TNG to unused uniforms from Phase Two to TEH CHARE!!! CAPTIAN KIRK!!!

Anyway, there's hours worth of clicking and reading details and smiling and grumbling about not being a bazillionaire so you could prance around in the Romulan Commander's dress while reading Roddenberry's memos to NBC. Although some people would probably be more interested in a chunk of scorched saucer from BoBW 2.

Justman's memoes are especially cool because an excerpt is provided by the nice and friendly auction people. Some nifty Jeffries sketches, too. And Spike might like to have a look at some of the uniforms.

Oddly enough, some stuff from Men in Black, Mission Impossible and Planet of the Apes is mixed in, too.

[ June 09, 2002, 18:10: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some interesting items but the big pictures don't show up.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...

How I covet those production memos, though.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never realized the narrow-barreled Klingon disruptor was of TMP vintage! The saps at eBay don't realize that the gun prominently featured in ST5 and early TNG, too, but that's quite forgivable. The other guns are pretty cool, too. I wouldn't pay real money for one of 'em pebble-gun contraptions, though.

The "BoBW" saucer isn't all that spectacular. A standard E-D kit part, apparently, so it presumably comes from a Galaxy or a Nebula - but there's no registry there, and no evidence of internal structures or anything else exciting.

What else is interesting tech-wise? Oh, the Okudagrams, probably. The pics are just small enough to keep us from reading the text...

Umm, and lots of reference photos of various uniforms. Anybody wanna grab them before they go?

What the heck is this "Columbus IX" shuttle for? Was Jeffries designing it for "The Galileo Seven" or something? I especially like his drawings of the "tug/shuttle" with the flat main hull and the command cabin that looks like it comes from a classic Coast Guard boat...

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of overpriced junk ... no offense, but some of that stuff ... it's ridiculous they expect so much moola for the little computer screens from Picard's chair ... or that saucer.

Shiiiit.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only one Okudagram, a Type 7 shuttle. From Voyager, allthough they say it's TNG. Some prices are ridicuolus, indeed. I don't want to pay $1000 for some old buttons or 3 of Jeffries sketches. I mean, take the money, visit Jeffries at home, bring him some beer and chips and ask him if there are some old sketches in boxes in his garage. And I'm sure you can get some for free. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest going to UCLA and asking to see their special collections of Justman's TOS scripts and Roddenberry papers. I'm not sure what it takes but probably not thousands of dollars. Bjo Trimble's TOS registries might be there likewise.

Boris

[ June 10, 2002, 11:16: Message edited by: Boris ]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do find myself thinking "I wouldn't mind owning one of those props, especially Picard's rifle from First Contact."

Then I look at the price. And I think instead "No way am I paying $4,000 PLUS for a fucking piece of movie memorabilia!"

Then I start thinking about the people who can afford to pay such prices. My thought process include such topics as 40-year-old virgins, people who live with their parents and don't have mortgages, the benefits of disposable income when you don't drink or take foreign holidays (unless you really splash out and go to a Con somewhere). . .

Add to that having to decide where to put the bloody thing (I guess I could get a display case made. . . what am I saying?!), and on the whole I'd have to pass. I'll buy myself one of those phase pistol toys when they come out. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Then I start thinking about the people who can afford to pay such prices"

People who made something out of themselves, and achieved a high level of success that renders them the object of envy.

But mostly virgins and losers, yes. Absolutely.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy who stole the captain's chair off the E-E bridge set is lucky. Sure, what he did was illegal, but he got it for free. [Wink] I just hope he never gets caught. [Big Grin]

[ June 10, 2002, 20:00: Message edited by: Dat ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can't help but ask what anyone'd honestly do with a contraband captain's chair anyway. Except, that is, sell it to someone who knows what to do. And most likely get caught in the process.

[ June 10, 2002, 20:31: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should these things be in a MUSEUM!?! Like in the Star Trek Exhibit or the Star Trek Experience thingy in Las Vegas!?! I mean things like The Romulan Commander's dress... Captain Kirk's CHAIR!!!! They are part of television history.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Treknation report that this was the fifth or so chair stolen from the bridge? They obviously did it even during TNG. Poor Picard. Do you remember the guy mentioned in DS9 who took all the photos of himself sitting behind the desk of a famous starfleet captain? I wonder if he has something to do with it... [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
willoughby, edgar
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the person who stole Picard's chair was one of those X-Prize entrants! ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps