Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Opinions: Should Daedalus Appear? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Opinions: Should Daedalus Appear?
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Why do you guys hate it?

A.) If you hate the design, you must hate the Olympic too, since it's got a nearly identical configuration.

B.) If you hate the detailing, you must hate the NCC-1701 too, since the scheme is nearly identical.

C.) You must loooove the NX-01, because it's everything the Daedalus isn't---a properly styled 22nd century ship.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

So, (The) Mighty Monkey Of Mim, when you want our opinion you will give it to us?
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I pick F, F for fantastic.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it just makes no sense to me, Raw Cadet, that people complain to death about the NX-01, and yet they'll turn right around and say they don't like the Daedalus either. So what exactly is it that you guys want?

-MMoM [Confused]

[ June 30, 2002, 20:25: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a drawing of a TOS-ish NX 01. It looks pretty good, with the smooth hull. If you wanted me to, I could scan it in...
IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We must fear MMoM, for he has the divining rod of superior taste.

I hereby apologize for wrongthink.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, it just makes no sense to me
Mim, I've noticed that quite a lot of our opinions make no sense to you. That's because people don't always think the way you think. Please don't presume to judge what others think just because it conflicts with your own mindset.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dukkie, The_Tom, I'm not "judging" you, I'm disagreeing with you. My little three-point jibe was all in fun. Please, relax. We're all friends here...or at least I always thought so...

-MMoM [Frown]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Didn't mean...to post twice... [Roll Eyes]

[ June 30, 2002, 20:25: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon, guys, give Mim a break. He's a nice enough guy. And he says "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope: The Special Limited Edition Now Remastered On DVD."

That's worth some love.

Not loving. Just love.

[Cool]

Besides, a lot of what he said made some sense. Namely: that people complain to death about the NX-01, and yet they'll turn right around and say they don't like the Daedalus either. So what exactly is it that you guys want?

[ June 30, 2002, 20:27: Message edited by: Snay ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Snay:
C'mon, guys, give Mim a break. He's a nice enough guy. And he says "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope: The Special Limited Edition Now Remastered On DVD

Don't be silly, Snay, I would never say such ridiculous thing.

I would say SWIV:ANH:SLE:DVD!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it was in fun, but I'd just like to add that the "love all of it or not of it" argument is heinously flawed. Almost all of us here are Trek fans. No one here loves every single thing about Star Trek.

That being said, I'll have to throw myself into the "likes the Daedalus" camp. It may just be that it has a resemblance to the Discovery, but I dig that little ship. I think it looks pretty neat, and I'd like to see a more detailed version of it on Enterprise.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I don't have a problem with the Daedalus design itself, but I'd rather they take the same Matt Jeffries sketch Greg Jein worked from but make their own take on it, if they're going to use the ship at all. Realistically, it ain't gonna happen.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What WILL happen sooner or later is that TPTB will show us a pre-NX-01 starship design. And when they get the urge to do so, they'll at some point ask Okuda whether there already exists a pre-NX-01 starship they could use. And Mike will say "nope" because in his books, the Daedalus is post-Enterprise.

Whether Mike or Doug or somebody else will then campaign for the use of the sphere-and-can design is a different matter. But even if they do, TPTB will just say "But you said there were no pre-NX-01 designs - where did this come from?". If Mike then says "Well, yeah, but this *looks* like it could be old", the best we can expect from TPTB is a half-hearted "Perhaps we can use some of those design elements". They won't buy the Daedalus, not after the initial rejection.

I see only one course of events that would lead Paramount to using the Daedalus in the sphere-and-can format. If they don't listen to their tech folks, they won't run across this design. If they do, they'll learn that it's slightly controversial as a pre-Enterprise, and will bolt.

But if the tech people just sort of smuggle the design into the show as a cute in-joke, *then* it might be possible to finally get the sphere-and-can design and the Daedalus name canonically combined. All it takes is a lull in CGI work and a bored yet knowledgeable employee...

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It really shows that the ship is CGI, at least the models after TOS look like they're real.
I'm not sure what you are actually referring to, but if it's the NX-Enterprise, I'd disagree. While statements like that are true for a lot of older CGI models, I find the NX totally convincing as a real ship.

quote:
sphere-and-can format
I think that sums up my problems with the Daedalus class. It's horribly unbalanced, look cheap, and is, well, ugly. It has all the bad design elements of the NCC-1701 (which were largely corrected for the refit), and none of it's simple beauty and grace. And yes, I'm not keen on the Olympic-class either.

quote:
Yes. The more TOS in Enterprise, the better.
Because the number of episodes in which a Daedalus-class ship was mentioned or seen in TOS numbers in the great numbers of highness.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they ever show one of the older, slower Earth Starfleet ships, they DO have some previous designs to work from. There is the triangular ship from the intro, the Conestoga and the Y class. It's interesting to note that the Conestoga bears resemblance to the Phoenix and the very obscure Valiant design from the Ency, and the Y class resembles some elements of the DY-100 model.

I think that any new old Starfleet ship we see will be a completely new design, probably based on earlier ENT work, and not on the Daedalus. Perhaps they DO realise the Daedalus is a later design?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps