Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Opinions: Should Daedalus Appear? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Opinions: Should Daedalus Appear?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

Look, obviously Enterprise isn't physically the only ship in the fleet. But it's the only ship that matters, because it's the only ship that can really go anywhere.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they mentioned the 'old' Neptune class, I couldn't help wonder if there was a mythology thing going for class names. Will there be a Ikarus class?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And, if you're trying to make some distinction between the Starfleet of the ENT-era and the one from all the other shows, none exists. At least, not in the minds of TPTB or the writers.
Now, where did you get that from? Was there an interview?

IMO the "new" class/registry-scheme is a strong indication that Earth Starfleet is different from Federation Starfleet. Even some novel writers think that there is a distinction between these two organization.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same novel writers that once had O'Brien call Odo "mate"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Com'on pay attention guys, Daedalus is Federation... not Earth Starfleet. It can't be around for a while yet."

So, in 2161, upon the formation of the Federation, all ships in Earth's Starfleet will be totally scrapped, and the Federation's Starfleet will be built completely from scratch?

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No i think they will become NCC-
Like Enterprise NCC-01-a j/k

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Com'on pay attention guys, Daedalus is Federation... not Earth Starfleet. It can't be around for a while yet."

So, in 2161, upon the formation of the Federation, all ships in Earth's Starfleet will be totally scrapped, and the Federation's Starfleet will be built completely from scratch?

I agree with what TSN isn't saying here [Wink] . Earth Starfleet is an integral part of what becomes the Federation Starfleet. Much as Earth becomes the capital planet ("heart") of the Federation, the term "Starfleet" becomes the personae of the Federations conglomeration of starships. As all of the "fleets", i.e. Vulcan vessels and Andorian vessels as well as Earth vessels became integrated into a single Federation fleet (a combination of presumably these forces), a single entity known as the "Federation" Starfleet is formed...it just so happens to have a Earth term applied to it as the Federation starfleet is probably not composed of JUST Earth derived vessels as we see in the later series.

OR...the planet Earth maintains the only Federation-wide fleet and that is why they still maintain their original term of "Starfleet".

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

TSN... not to be totally disrespectful, but if I didn't know you any better, I'd call you stupid.

It's been a long held belief of mine and many other people that the Daedalus is the first Federation starship venture---

Earth's Starfleet isn't scrapped either. Another long held belief is that the Earth fleet was slowly integrated with the Federation fleet--- accounting for the earlier NCCs before the Daedalus came along. And Earth's wasn't the only fleet that joined up either. But it seems that Earth was the more proactive than any other, Archer seems to heavily indicate this proactive nature... wanting to create something like the Federation [anything to do with his time travels?].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your post implied that ships of Earth's Starfleet and ships of the Federation's Starfleet are mutually exclusive sets. Your "long-held belief" really isn't important. Just because you think, by way of zero evidence, that the Daedalus wasn't a pre-Federation ship, that doesn't mean anyone who thinks otherwise is automatically wrong.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see any problems with Daedalus-class starships in Earth Starfleet. The class-name jives with the class/registry-scheme but so does Neptune-class.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
And, if you're trying to make some distinction between the Starfleet of the ENT-era and the one from all the other shows, none exists. At least, not in the minds of TPTB or the writers.
Now, where did you get that from? Was there an interview?

IMO the "new" class/registry-scheme is a strong indication that Earth Starfleet is different from Federation Starfleet. Even some novel writers think that there is a distinction between these two organization.

Spikey,

To my knowledge, NO ONE serving in ANY official or creative capacity on the show has EVER so much as suggested that the Starfleet of Enterprise is in any way a different Starfleet from the one we've always known. Not Berman, or Braga, or anyone else. And it is clear (to my eyes, at least) that they are not treating it as such in the series. It is the same organization we've always known, albeit with a few things to be refined over the years.

As I recall, the notion that it was somehow a different organization that just happened to have the same name was a FANDOM conception that arose right here ON THIS VERY BOARD, as a way of rationalizing the the then-brand new series with the ERRONEOUS idea that Starfleet was founded at the same time as the Federation, which had come down as conjecture (that which you yourself are usually so fond of debunking) through the Chronology and Encyclopedia, and was NEVER stated on screen. (The only way it was ever suggested was the 2161 founding date on the Starfleet Academy banner from "The First Duty" [TNG], and all that *really* tells us is that '61 was the year in which the ACADEMY was established, not necessarily Starfleet itself.)

Starfleet is Starfleet. True, at this point it only comprises Earth ships. Does that make it a separate entity from the Starfleet of later times? No. True, it appears that it employs a different registry scheme. Does this mean it's not the same organization? No. These are things that will indeed likely change with the founding of the Federation, but does that mean that even after these changes occur it's a whole other agency? No.

Earth has always been portrayed as central to the structure of the Federation. It is the capital. The office of the President and the chambers of the Federation Council are located on Earth. Starfleet Headquarters and the main branch of Starfleet Academy are on Earth. The vast majority of Starfleet personnel are human. The vast majority of Starfleet ships have human names. The official language of the UFP is English. It would seem to be clear that Earth is the single most important player within the UFP. (Of course, that's not necessarily something we all like, and I'm not saying that's a desireable thing, but historically that's how it's been portrayed.) In ENT, we're already seeing this role develop in that Earth is beginning to act as a mediator in the Vulco-Andorian war.

Given the above, it makes perfect sense for Earth's space force, Starfleet, to absorb (at least partially---there's no concrete proof that UFP member worlds don't still have some defense forces of their own in addition to being protected by Starfleet, even in the 24th century) those of the other founding members when the Fed is incorporated in '61. (After all, if the capital is to be on Earth, why not make use of the instellations already in place there?) Not be absorbed by some newly-created organization that just happens to be called the same thing.

Obviously, that last paragraph is my personal view on the subject, but I think the indications are that TPTB are looking at it in essentially the same way. (Not that they've even thought it through as much as I just did, but they're certainly not differentiating between SF in 2151 and SF in 2371, beyond the fact that there are less ships around.)

And, as a final note---though I know that these things don't carry any real weight with you, the article on Federation starships in the January 2003 Star Trek: The Magazine has the following quote:

quote:
From "Introduction to Federation Vessels," page 32, paragraph 1:
"Starfleet began life as a purely human organization, operating a variety of warp vessels including Enterprise NX-01. However, it came into its own with the formation of the Federation in 2161, and since then has been responsible for thousands of ships."

This of course is not canon (by your definition) and *could* conceivably be superceded by onscreen info at any time. However, I believe it represents the "official" viewpoint. (Meaning it won't be.)

Take it as you will.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The vast majority of Starfleet personnel are human. The vast majority of Starfleet ships have human names. The official language of the UFP is English."

None of these things would seem to be true. We simply haven't seen "the vast majority" of Starfleet's ships or personnel, and no one's ever said anything about an official UFP language.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
"The vast majority of Starfleet personnel are human. The vast majority of Starfleet ships have human names. The official language of the UFP is English."

None of these things would seem to be true. We simply haven't seen "the vast majority" of Starfleet's ships or personnel, and no one's ever said anything about an official UFP language.

We've seen a fair cross-section of ships and people spanning two centuries. That's a large sample group to judge from. The trend is clear.

And I'm fairly sure that "Federation Standard English" has received a mention once or twice, and then there's the little fact that largely every document and display is *written* in it... [Roll Eyes]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

This amazing heap of evidence of course somehow precluding any sort of translation software in use, or multiplicity of languages, or anything else.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.