Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Opinions: Should Daedalus Appear? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Opinions: Should Daedalus Appear?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By that logic, the official spoken language of everyone in the Star Wars movies was English, too.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMoM said:

"(The only way it was ever suggested was the 2161 founding date on the Starfleet Academy banner from "The First Duty" [TNG], and all that *really* tells us is that '61 was the year in which the ACADEMY was established, not necessarily Starfleet itself.)"

Troi mentioned that the Federation was founded in 2161 (two's one's and six's were 'wild' in their game of poker on Federation Day.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star'fleet. Fed'er'a'tion.

I'm getting a sameness-negative reading.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh sorry. [Smile] no, I'm not f░ck you! [Smile] j/k [Big Grin]

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think they're different because they're controlled by two different organizations: United Earth government and United Federation of Planets. It also seems that UFP Starfleet got a new charter. ESF is clearly the predecessor but nevertheless much different than UFP SF (USS prefix, new directions, ships from other founding members, new class/registry-scheme,...).

BTW: Doesn't the E-D's dedicaton plaque say "Fifth starship to bear the name"? It seems that Earth Starfleet vessels are not included.

[ February 14, 2003, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that suggests to me that English is the main/official language is the names of ships written on the hulls. Enterprise and Constitution can be excused as they are like Yamato, named after real ships, but Defiant, Valiant, Ambassador, Concord, Dauntless, Destiny, Fearless, Freedom, Galaxy, Nebula, etc are all English words, which are clearly painted in Roman characters on the hulls of Starfleet ships.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well no shit, if the United States had it their way every country would be spelling things in English, and at that, spelling them wrong...to think..."Endeavor"!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but Starfleet spells it Endeavour [Smile]
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which means proper English and not American English is the official language!!! Which is how it should be. [Big Grin] [Razz]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

YAY!! Have we seen anything like "harbour"/"harbor" or "crystalise"/"crystalize" on Trek?

Oohhh Sabre/Saber

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Which means proper English and not American English is the official language!!!
It just means that the ship was named after the HMS Endeavour.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Phoenix
Member # 966

They all say loo-tenant, and not l'tenant or lef-tenant, which would suggest that they speak American English.

However, it is possible they speak with American English and spell with "real" English. I doubt Starfleet would paint on a ship a word that most humans would think was a spelling mistake, previous ship named that or not.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just like they painted the space shuttle with what americans would perceive as a spelling mistake? or the concorde? i think its perfectly plausible, its being done to specifically honor a past vessel.. and many vessel names are old enough to have lost all meaning..

maybe they all speak interlac or galacta, and the words and writing are simply translated into American English by the universal translator for our viewing?

BTW, i hate this theory, but it is a consideration.

Phoenix
Member # 966

In the DS9 episode with the small runabout, they are sitting next to the registration number and desrribe the 0 of 74205 as "a big black circle", or something similar. If the numbers are how they appear to be to us, its a safe bet the letters are too.

Also, the Endeavour Shuttle would be read as normal by British people, and Concorde by French people. For "international" projects, like these really are, this is acceptable. I can't imagine the US Navy calling a ship "Endeavour" or "Honour". Endeavour in Star Trek would be a mistake to absolutely everyone if American spelling is standard.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not necessarily.. the number system has changed independantly from the letter system like, a MXLVII times!.. so the letters could have changed completely or the language under them could have, leaving the numbers the same.. we could go over this .

BTW i still hate this theory, im just playing devils advocate.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.