Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Opinions: Should Daedalus Appear? (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Opinions: Should Daedalus Appear?
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The starship name on the USS Tsiolkovsky's dedication plaque is written in Cyrillic characters. If the universal translator translates into English so we can read the letters from the Vulcan Standard Logical Alphabet or something, it would have translated that.

(I'm quite pleased with myself for that [Smile] )

(BTW, I now have ridiculous images of the USS Enterprise NCC-MDCCI-D stuck in my head)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
However, it is possible they speak with American English and spell with "real" English. I doubt Starfleet would paint on a ship a word that most humans would think was a spelling mistake, previous ship named that or not.

*cough*BRATTAIN*cough*JENOLAN*cough*

Excuse me. [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The starship name on the USS Tsiolkovsky's dedication plaque is written in Cyrillic characters. If the universal translator translates into English so we can read the letters from the Vulcan Standard Logical Alphabet or something, it would have translated that."

We also don't always get translations of alien words. Klingon, especially. And any alien computer interface is always un-translated. Presumably, we only get translations of "Federation Standard" or whatever (except in special cases like when aliens are tlaking to each other, and we need to hear what they're saying), and the dedication plaque was actually written w/ Cyrillic letters.

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
And any alien computer interface is always un-translated.

Surely the fact thay alien letters are never translated shows that the magical universal translator just can't do that.

(And the Starfleet Bureau of Painting Things on Ships must be run by idiots. They misspelt the two MM mentioned, wrote NCC-1305-E on the Yamato (presumably as a joke (and then had to change it back when the Captain noticed)), and made a complete mess of the USS Nash. Perhaps one of these "jokers" served on the original NCC-59650 Prometheus (Norway Class perhaps) and decided to paint that number on the new one as a "tribute".)

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the D should appear.

Yes the NX looks better, but not mass producable. I don't think SF has the capability of mass producing the NX. the D is more feasable, plus i would put money down on the D rolling on the NX

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they do, I don't think they should show her like we know her. I mean keep the basic shape, but the overall design looks to primitive even in today's standards.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They all say loo-tenant, and not l'tenant or lef-tenant, which would suggest that they speak American English.

Probably because they're mostly American [Smile] .

Also I'm personally fairly sure that the US was almost entirly destroyed in WWIII; it would be the main target after all. In fact, I've always had a theory that the reason that the Australians were the last to join the UE govt was that Australia was the most powerful nation left relatively intact after WWIII (After all, would you bother nuking it? [Razz] [Big Grin] ).

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've always had a theory that the reason that the Australians were the last to join the UE govt was that Australia was the most powerful nation left relatively intact after WWIII
That was just hypothetical, wasn't it?

I think Beverly said something like

quote:
Think about Earth -- what if one of the old nation-states, say Australia, had decided not to join the World Government in 2150? Would that have disqualified us from being a Federation member?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Phoenix
Member # 966

Yes, they are mostly American, but not all are. Notably, Picard says "loo-tenant" in an English accent (although he is supposedly French (perhaps he went to a boarding school in England)), which suggests that American pronunciation is universal.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe because it is written by and filmed in [US of] American.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That was just hypothetical, wasn't it?

Well, yes, but wasn't there something about Austrailia being the last nation state or something? I'm sure it's in the Chronology (I know, I know...).

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm sure it's in the Chronology
And what source does the Chronology state for this information?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Phoenix
Member # 966

If America was destroyed in WWIII, it would seem a little odd for it to be (seemingly) the dominant country in Enterprise. And as to the subject of nations still around, we know that Britain is at least at the time of Enterprise, due to the Royal Navy references (unless Britain conquered lots of other countries and made itself an enormous Empire again (an idea I am not altogether opposed to [Big Grin] ))
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, the Chronology states nothing about Australia being the last nation-state, it simply says that it joined a world government in 2150. However, it does speculate in the commentary section that the country may have been a holdout, since a world government was suggested to have been established as early as 2113 in First Contact. (50 years after Cochrane's first warp flight.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

That's it! Sorry, this was another instance of me half remembering something I read ages ago and couldn't be arsed to check [Embarrassed] [Big Grin] . basically it is all total speculation based upon, well, more speculation. I was half inclined at one point to write a history of WWIII so I thought of quite a bit to do with it.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps