Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transporter emitters

Author Topic: Transporter emitters
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some epsisodes suggesting that transporter patterns can be stored like computer bits and are nothing but energy. The contradictory canon definition, however, is that transporters work on the basis of a so-called matter stream, which is confirmed by most episodes, the TNGTM and Rick Sternbach in his newsgroup.

Another argument is that most starships have transporter outlets throughout the hull. I think all ships must have such emitters and, moreover, there should be channels or waveguides for the matter stream within the ship besides the EPS, ODN and environmental systems. If only a data stream were to transmitted, the ODN and a conventional sensor array could be used. Does the DS9TM say anything about transporters?

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transport beam transmitters/receivers are the rectangular yellowish "gratings" you see on the hulls of starships. The Glaxy class has two side by side on the saucer ventral, underneath the registry. The Sovereign has two less rectangular ones on its saucer dorsal at the front similar to Intrepid class ones. There are others scattered over the hull.

------------------
"You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak."

- Chris Morris, Brass Eye

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the transporter emitters are my favorite decals when I build a model, because they are the only ones easy to apply.

There should be emitters pointing in all directions, although most ships except for the Galaxy seem to have quite a few of them. Maybe the other ones are quite small.

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the actually emitter could be behind the retangular 'radome' and is constructed to allow some degree of movement. Then there is the whole subspace thing which obviously allows a ship's lateral axis to be perpendicular to the planet's polar axis and still allow transport to the opposite side of the planet. I myself would perfer the ship's ventral surface to face the planet's surface, in a geostationary orbit, with the emitters pointing down to the transport site.

The hairy question is at what frenquency is the matter stream transmitted?

------------------
Sector One at last. We are home. Tuvok, arrest the Maquis. Mr. Kim, inform Starfleet Command we have completed our mission.
Capt. Janeway upon reaching Earth.

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The matter stream might not be to stored in the computers, rather they hold the information on how to reassemble it.
IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Cargile: I'm not sure if subspace is involved in the transporter operation, at least the matter stream is not transmitted through subspace.

Simon: In DS9: "Our Man Bashir" it is explicitly mentioned that the computer system is used for storing the patterns. As far I have "understood" it, the patterns are the matter stream. If not, your idea is quite good, since we can assume that information gets lost because the matter stream is a state of disorder and can't be described by a simple algorithm, so an additional pattern is required.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps