Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Theoretical transporter technology (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Theoretical transporter technology
Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering...if a transporter supposedly converts matter into energy and then back to matter again, what about the air that's already on the beam-down or beam-up site? You can't transport matter on top of matter; that'd be like beaming into a wall! Air, techinically, is matter, albeit invisible. I was just wondering how they could use the transporter without creating a vacuum the exact dimensions of the object/person being transported.

Thank you in advance, as always, for your informative answers.

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The official answer is that the annular confinement beam gently pushes the air out of the way as the person materializes. This is possibly seen in films II-VI as two columns of light that spread before the person appears, and also in Voyager with the balls of light moving vertically.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is possibly seen in films II-VI as two columns of light that spread before the person appears, and also in Voyager with the balls of light moving vertically.

Yes, but those are seen in the beam-out, too...how do you account for that? And, what is the official definition of "annular confinement beam"?

Also, when transporting large objects, what happens to the air which is pushed out of the way? The air is compressed, and the object's mass replaces the air, so the pressure is increased in the room. One's ears should pop or something, or possibly a rush of air coming out of the transporter room to equalize the pressure. This is never seen in the episodes.

--------------------
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that you can see air, nor do they keep a lot of loose paper lying around in transporter rooms.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I've always wanted to see the two Klingon sisters that destroyed the Enterprise in Generations having lesbian warrior sex in front of Gates Mcfadden, and possibly a frisky Lt. Commander Data.

But I'll never see this, because the Powers that Be do not think as I do.

The same principle applies to transporter beam difficulties, starship measurements and nude Weddings.

Although a slight farting noise would be perfect for the transporters (especially when it's Worf Beaming Out) we'll never get it.

Alas.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brace for impact! Scotty's beaming in!

That's probably why the Enterprise had windshields protecting the console [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sorak
Member # 874

I seriously think ThoughtPyminal needs to get out more...

--------------------
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are you talking about? I'm outside right now! The fact that I get on the internet while I'm outside is a good thing. It makes me suave, and cool.
Sorak
Member # 874

LOL! And that pertains to matter-energy conversion...how?

(gets out his asprin and pops a couple more pills)

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let us all pop pills!

: these are uppers and these are too..

: are they the same?

: no.. these make you go up like 'woooo' and these make you go up like 'waaaaa.'

: i'll buy two of each.

: you'll need downers, man. these bring into 'whoooaa'

: i totally know what you mean!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously though, how would you tell if someone's ears have popped?

And to delve into scary science, exactly what pressure difference would be created by a man sized amount of air being pushed outwards? And have we ever seen someone beam in while standing right next to another person?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sorak
Member # 874

quote:
have we ever seen someone beam in while standing right next to another person?

Not to my (limited) knowledge...

--------------------
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
theyre usually pretty strict about clearing the pads first.. i think in one early TNG they had some people arrive first, and someone almost get lost and get back late.. which ep?
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot the title, but it was where Data, Riker, and Worf tried to transport down to Prof. Mannheim's shielded lab. Riker and Data came back simultaneously while Worf was delayed a second or two.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
Member # 709

and we had that classic 'you almost didnt make it back' look on their faces .. i loved it..

im pretty proud that my memory popped that example up so quickly.. apparently im a bigger geek than i thought i was.. too bad im burnt out on remembering episode titles

oh wait.. it was 'We'll Always Have Paris'

and i wonder why the woman love doesnt arrive on my doorstep.

BTW, in reverse they had people beaming out while other stayed as early as 'The Cage'..

SPOCK: 'The women!!!'

say it, brother. Star Trek made women disappear even before the pilot was accepted.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps