Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Yridian Ship (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yridian Ship
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In season 6 and 7 of TNG The Yridians seemed to be popping up a bit more often. Their ship was seen in "The Chase". Was this new model - or was it a redress of some older model?

What was that shite that Voyager said about the Yridians btw?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i beleave it was a redressed antaries class

--------------------
Christopher
AztekSER@hotmail.com
SR20Egg

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was a redressed ship of the Tamarian/Talarian/Tawhatever-race (same race as Endar, the guy with the human "son"). They just added the spherical thing at the rear end. I've seen it a dozen times, and I'm sure I've seen it even before "the chase".

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Equinox" suggested that Captain Randsom made first contact with the Yridians. I'm not sure why that raises your bile while Picard meeting the Ferengi for the first time ever is somehow beloved fact.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yridian's were thought to be extinct - Ransom found them again. How the Borg knew they were extinct is beyond me.

Oh yeah, and in case you hadn't noticed, this is my first post in 73 days. I last checked this site 23/06/02, before we moved house and went on 2 holidays. I just haven't been connected up until . . . 2 weeks ago and not really had much to say since. [Big Grin]

The smilies have retured!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK, the Yridian ship was an original model, with the distinction that every time it was used, it was used for the Yridians. It was never recycled as another race's ship.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any pictures handy, but I do agree with Dukhat. From what I recall, there were only two of those wing-like things pointing upward, and the forward hull was not the simple wedge of the Talarian ships.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is that the one in the Star Trek mag this week?

--------------------
Christopher
AztekSER@hotmail.com
SR20Egg

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Show me the pic and I'll tell you...

Yeah, the Yridian destroyer/transport from "The Chase"/"Firstborn" seemed to be an all-new model, with rounded shapes instead of the Imperial Star Destroyer kitbash hulls used in the two Talarian models.

And yeah, Ransom made contact with the Yridians when others thought they were extinct. The dialogue went something like this (paraphrasing Jim Wright's reviews):

"Do you know this individual?" Seven asks. "Only by reputation," Janeway says. "He was an exo-biologist, promoted to Captain after he made first contact with the Yridians."

Seven is surprised. "Species 6291. The Collective determined that they were extinct."

"So did the Federation," Janeway says, smiling. "Ransom proved otherwise. I always wanted to meet him. Too bad it won't be under better circumstances."

So one could safely say that this contact took place before we first saw Yridians in TNG. Janeway seems to consider Ransom her senior (except when it comes to wrestling for command), and the contact took place before Ransom made four pips.

So if we are going to see Yridians in ENT, no problem: just say that a few years or decades later, they will go up in a great ball of fire and everybody will mistake them for dead. This disaster need not be shown or even hinted at... Perhaps the Doomsday Machine will eat their homeworld? Perhaps, since they were information merchants, they saw it advantageous to withhold the information of their continuing existence?

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, so I guess the Yridian Voyager comment wasn't too bad... maybe it's the fact that the Borg were so sloppy in their investigations about the Yridian's existance sounds a bit... wierd?

I guess nothing reguarding them since their 'appearance' in 2369 till Seven's disconnection in 2374 was ever assimilated. (If this is the only way Borg gain knowledge.)

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The alternative is that the Yridian extinction took place after the TNG appearances, and made all the headlines. Ransom then found out that six individuals had survived on Backwater VI, was promoted to captain of the Equinox, and immediately disappeared on his first mission... The immensity of the extinction then outshadowed Ransom's discovery - a discovery that was only of academic interest, that is, of interest to people like Janeway. With Ransom's disappearance, his findings might even have become contested, or the remaining six might have died. Few assimilation victims in the 2370s would thus possess the knowledge of Yridian "survival".

I'd rather believe that Ransom made his discovery well before TNG...

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK , so it was a new ship. But did we ever get a better view of it? (BTW; I thought I saw it at Qualor 2, but I could be wrong)

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a brave corporate logo!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
says you, fish-bulb

as i recall the Yridian ship had a painted card dedicated to it in some stupid card set. ill try to dig it up.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I've got a picture!

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/yridian1.jpg

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.